Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrellstown

Options
  • 06-07-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

Why are properties inexpensive (relatively) in tyrellstown? Seems to have decent services (shops etc) and large properties...but the prices appear quite low. what's the catch?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

You're right next to Ladyswell? I don't know what the area's like now, but it was pretty rough when I was growing up in Blakestown! Also the public transport isn't up to much.

I'd say the whole area is going to be pretty desirable in the next few years though (location-wise) so maybe it'd be a sweet investment in times ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cos it is so far out from the village and the shopping centre and so far from the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's flooded with rental investment properties, so it's not a very neighbourly place to live.

I don't think it's THAT near to Ladyswell, I mean the scumbags wouldn't go out of their way to go up and cause trouble in Tyrellstown, they have Castlecurragh for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It simply down to supply and demand, it's still a relatively new area that many have bought in to get onto the ladder and then are ready to move on. Houses were originally competively priced and this reflects in the second hand prices.

And it does indeed have a good neighbourly spirit, there's plenty of communiy events organised by different groups in the area and I only read a report recently that it has a below average vandalism and crime level.
    It's only 5-10 minutes from the Blanchardstown Centre and the same from the village and only about 7-8 miles from the city centre, closer than alot of Tallaght and Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Just seems that there are loads for sale in there and curious to see if there was an underlying reason for it.

it's a little out of the way but i might view a few houses and see what the build quality is like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

5 to 10 minues drive where there is no traffic and when there is it can take up to 30/40mins to drive.

yeah traffic in the area is a joke. i work round the corner

Traffic is only a joke at rush hour in the evenings during the week, but that's for getting out of Tyrrelstown to say the centre or village due to the large volume of traffic coming from the various business parks. The whole of Dublin 15 suffers the same problem in the evenings so it's not exceptional around Tyrrelstown.
    The new link road to the N3 via Damonstown (spl) has relieved it a fair bit so you can skip all the traffic if you wanted.

Bear in mind, no pun intended, that there's basically 2 sides to Tyrrelstown, each built by different developers, some think the quality of one side is better than the other, and vice versa. There's also 2 different management agents acting for the management companies up there, Smiths are doing a fairly bad job and the other, can't remember who they are at the moment, seem to be doing a better job of things.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RuggieBear wrote: »
    Just seems that there are loads for sale in there and curious to see if there was an underlying reason for it.

Generally what happens in new developments like Tyrrellstown is that a lot of first time buyers and young families snap up the earliest phases. After a while their families have outgrown the house or they're making a bit more money and are in a position to trade up, but often find that a good proportion of the people who bought the same time as them are in exactly the same position. this leads to a disproportionate amount of houses on the market at the same time. It happened to a friend of mine who'd bought in the first phase in Ongar and ended up dropping his price three times before he sold because there was so much choice on offer. I'd say there's a good chance that that's what's going on in Tyrrellstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

<blatant advertising>

"ZAP removed Link and added comment above"

I have nothing to do with the website so I dont think so.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing what was cut was a link to the Tyrrelstown website ? A bit unfair really considering there's mentions of neighbours.ie all over the place in the various Dublin forums.

If not, disregard.

Automan has contacted me about the removal of the link, and I accept that he has no connection with the Tyrrelstown site and wasn't spamming the forum. Apologies to Automan, and to anyone who wanted to use the link, here it is again for you http://www.tyrrelstown.net/forum/

Zaph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

I live in Tyrrelstown, bought in 2004. It’s a great place. There is indeed good community spirit. At first there wasn’t, but IMO that’s because it was built on a greenfield site in 2001 and everybody who lived there had no connection to each other. Remember, it’s only 7 years old – communities aren’t created overnight.
    The houses are good quality and fairly big for the price you pay.
    Public transport isn’t great, but that’s mainly because of the lack of a nearby train station. The 40d takes between 45 and 60 minutes to get to/from town in rush-hour traffic, which isn’t THAT bad really. Still, the commute is the worst point for me… however, if you work in the area, you’re sorted.
    Getting to Blanch Village or Shopping Centre is easy. Traffic can be bad during rush hour, as all of the industrial estates empty out onto the roads, heading back towards town or Blanch. Even at that, with the new road to Damastown opened, the traffic isn’t too bad.
    Besides, the amenities in Tyrrelstown town centre are pretty good. There are two very nice restaurants – the Chinese, Aurora, is excellent quality and value – a Lidl and superquinn, pub/restaurant, café, hairdressers, two doctors… and lots more stuff. We get by without having to go to Blanch. Oh, and just down the road is Brannagans Meats, the best butcher in the world! Just from shopping in Brannagans and Lidl, both of which are walking distance, we cut our weekly shopping bill by €30. We have fillet steak at least once a week too!
    I would agree with the suggestion that the reason for the amount of houses for sale is because young families bought a few years back to get on the ladder. That’s what I did, but I’ve no plans to move just yet. It’s as good as I’m realistically going to get. The alternatives are to move closer to town, but live in a smaller house that may need a lot of fixing-up, or move into a bigger gaff further away. Neither option is appealing, so we’re happy to live in a nice house that’s a little out of the way for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

RuggieBear wrote: »

it's a little out of the way but i might view a few houses and see what the build quality is like.

Well given that I'm one of the ones selling I suppose I should weigh in on this. The main reason there are a lot of second-hand houses for sale in the area is because they are still selling new ones. So that means that the same demand is there for (relatively speaking) more houses. Its also driving the prices of the second-hand houses down so that they can compete with the new ones.

The area itself is fine, I haven't had any more or less issues there than I did with my folks place in Stillorgan. The Ttown village is pretty handy and for whatever anyone else says the public transport isn't all that bad. In the mornings there are buses every 15-20 mins. The 40D gets in as far as O'Connell St in 30 mins during the summer and 45-50 in winter and the 38C (less frequent, goes via Blanch and Navan Rd) takes about 40 mins in summer and up to 1.5 hrs in winter (traffic in Blanch is generally mental).

The main reason we're moving is that both of us have moved job locations recently. My OH is all the way out in Sandyford and I'm working in UCD so we're commuting over the far side of the city every day. The house is a great house, and we've often said if we could take it with us we would. We going to have to trade down to move closer to work.

Thanks for all the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jip wrote: »
    Bear in mind, no pun intended, that there's basically 2 sides to Tyrrelstown, each built by different developers, some think the quality of one side is better than the other, and vice versa. There's also 2 different management agents acting for the management companies up there, Smiths are doing a fairly bad job and the other, can't remember who they are at the moment, seem to be doing a better job of things.

I would tend to agree with this. The "far" side of Ttown, where the shops are, is the nicer (in my biased opinion!) and the management company there (Fisher) have been doing a good job. The place is pretty well kept and there are no real issues at all in that regard. The other side of the estate (the one at the first entrance if you're coming from Blanch) has a lot of issues with the management company. A lot of people have refused to pay there too which hasn't really helped matters. Its still not a "bad" area, just not as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Are there cycle lanes in the area? Would it be feasible to commute into town on a bicycle instead?.

Seven or eight miles on a bike isnt that much (I'd consider it a perfect keep fit commute in fact - if the roads are safe for cyclists).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes I imagine it is feasible to cycle in to town. (If you were fit!)

I lived in Tyrrelstown for two years before getting married and moving. I loved it. Nice mix of housing (I had nice two bed apartment). Village is brilliant with Lidl and Superquinn. There is a ptsb there now. Pub was good as well. I had no problems getting the bus into town for work either.

I still use the village there now and I think it looks like a really nice area. Really grown in well - there must have been a big budget for planting at initial stages. Think it is much better than (for example) Ongar and much better value for your money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Supercell wrote: »
    Are there cycle lanes in the area? Would it be feasible to commute into town on a bicycle instead?.

Seven or eight miles on a bike isnt that much (I'd consider it a perfect keep fit commute in fact - if the roads are safe for cyclists).

I would say it would take you well over the hour tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 funnystory

Guys, I am looking to buy house in Tyrrelstown ,any good/bad info will be appreciated,Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hi OP. As the thread you posted in was several years old I've moved your post to a new one to avoid people commenting on potentially out of date posts in that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It all depends on where you're commuting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

funnystory wrote: »
    Guys, I am looking to buy house in Tyrrelstown ,any good/bad info will be appreciated,Thanks in advance.
    Tyrrelstown is big so I guess it really depends on which part. The best thing to do when you have your eye on a house would be to drive around that area at different times during the day/night if you can. Some little roads which look quiet can be used as rat runs linking the boulevard either side. The areas near the school obviously can get very busy too. Make sure you know everything about the management company and fee's involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I like tyrellstown. I think the brick houses are wearing much better than ongar for example

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Tyrellstown has a nice feel to it and I don't think the village looks as shabby as Ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

Tyrrelstown gets a bit of a bad rap .. but it isn't all that bad .. I did live there previously.

The facilities are much better than what was there 6-7 years ago, I believe the new park has been opened and the secondary school is due to be built shortly.

The nicer parts of the area are around Mount Garrett and Cruise Park; quieter than the other parts and are closer to the open spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hepsie

6 years later and I'm curious how this area is to live for a young, professional family. One needs to commute to city centre daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If I was going city centre daily, I want to be within walking distance of the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The 40D is a pretty regular service to the city centre and doesn't take very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Hepsie

I'll do some more searches. The houses are relatively affordable and there is potentially space for our two children at the Educate Together school. Just want to be sure the commute for my husband won't be too crazy, while trying to find a good school for the children which they can get in. Was told by a school yesterday that there were 165 children on the wait list!

We are living in the UK now so while we've come to Dublin for work and some weekend visits we are still unsure where is best for us.

In looking at google maps its pretty out there and not much within walking distance. Perhaps should focus on areas closer to the city
    January wrote: »
    The 40D is a pretty regular service to the city centre and doesn't take very long.

Advertisement