Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrellstown

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

The area has come on a lot over the past few years – there are now several schools and a fine community centre. The Village is still pretty good and the hotel is still going. Sports clubs are pretty well established. There are still lots of jobs in the area and the new link road opening will encourage more services to the area.
    Downside is still the imbalance of rental an owner occupied accommodation in some parts of Tyrrelstown, transport for those working in town is not great and retail rents in the village still seems to be quite high so the turnover of shops is a bit high.
    Of the areas built at that time I think that Tyrrelstown has done quite well and there is a lot of things within the area so I am not sure what else you would want within walking distance.
    There are lots of reasonably priced houses as you can still buy new houses and many investors are pulling out of the market so supply of second hand houses is good. The houses are also a good size and most are well proportioned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Threads merged. No need to re-open a 6yr old thread when there's a fresh one on the same subject already in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

January wrote: »
    The 40D is a pretty regular service to the city centre and doesn't take very long.

Time table says 45 mins off peak. Which I think its optimistic, but I don't use it, so maybe it actually that fast. I'd still prefer to be getting a train everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's actually pretty spot on, probably faster than 45 minutes off peak if anything. The route changed some time back so it no longer tours west Fingas, it goes by Cappagh, towards Finglas Village and directly onto the N2 from there, makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I was talking to someone at a party and the talk moved to property (oh dear, already)... They mentioned that Tyrrelstown has Pyrite and said to be careful about Bellgree, Mount Eustace and The Boulevard?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I was talking to someone at a party and the talk moved to property (oh dear, already)... They mentioned that Tyrrelstown has Pyrite and said to be careful about Bellgree, Mount Eustace and The Boulevard?

Umm I'm not sure about this.

Definitely ongar does - my friend had to move out while it was fixed. I have never heard anything about Tyrellstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaisyD2

Been in Tyrrelstown 10years, never have I heard of pyrite - a couple of dodgy houses (my windows had to be redone during build because they went in after a bank holiday the builder had obviously spent drinking!) & some people caused cracks themselves moving in during cold spells & cranking new heating up to max. Usual stuff & far below normal levels given number of actual Units imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That pretty much rules in most of Tyrrelstown to be honest. And nope, I don't think there is pyrite in the area. If there is, it's the slowest acting pyrite ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's actually pretty spot on, probably faster than 45 minutes off peak if anything. The route changed some time back so it no longer tours west Fingas, it goes by Cappagh, towards Finglas Village and directly onto the N2 from there, makes a big difference.

Yeah I've made it from Tyrrelstown to the RDS in an hour on buses on a Saturday before. Off peak it's generally about 30-35 mins into town I'd say. Around 50 in rush hour.

There are no recorded Pyrite problem in Tyrrelstown. You were misinformed. There are plenty of companies that will take your money if you what a survey done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

AlanG wrote: »
    There are no recorded Pyrite problem in Tyrrelstown. You were misinformed. There are plenty of companies that will take your money if you what a survey done.

|I too have not heard of Pyrite in Tyrellstown . There is Pyrite in Chapelwood in Hollystown which is a mile up the road from Tyrellstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

|I too have not heard of Pyrite in Tyrellstown . There is Pyrite in Chapelwood in Hollystown which is a mile up the road from Tyrellstown.

pyrite isn't a contagious disease. There is no evidence of any pyrite in Tyrrelstown.

I lived in Tyrrelstown for about 7 years and to be fair it was a decent enough place to live. Accessible to most places and had plenty on it's doorstep. Decent supermarkets, pub, restaurants. Schools and community centre

There are a number of sports clubs which are now very well established and the new public park is taking shape and will have plenty of playing pitches.

The estate itself is quite nice to look at, fairly well maintained by the management companies and most of the locals take a certain pride in their area.

It suited myself for the time I was there but with a desire to move to a more rural location I ended up leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

whippet wrote: »
    pyrite isn't a contagious disease. There is no evidence of any pyrite in Tyrrelstown.

I lived in Tyrrelstown for about 7 years and to be fair it was a decent enough place to live. Accessible to most places and had plenty on it's doorstep. Decent supermarkets, pub, restaurants. Schools and community centre

There are a number of sports clubs which are now very well established and the new public park is taking shape and will have plenty of playing pitches.

The estate itself is quite nice to look at, fairly well maintained by the management companies and most of the locals take a certain pride in their area.

It suited myself for the time I was there but with a desire to move to a more rural location I ended up leaving.

One of my brothers just bought a really good house there at a reasonable price. There were doubts about how the area would develop or indeed how it wouldn't develop, but I was one of those doubters and I was wrong.

I've now three siblings living there and they couldn't be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

I lived in TT for 11 years and sold my house there last summer.

I can give you some pros and cons, starting with the cons:

TT is very densely built and there is planning approved for further high density housing between TT and Hollystown so it may be worth checking that on the Fingal County Council website.

My management company were also in the process of hiking up the fees in their area. This was because so few were paying they saw the solution to the problem as hiking up the fees for those who were paying. There was also some issue regarding no sinking fund or limited sinking fund in place and this needed to be topped up. The fees were a reasonable €150 per year, I don't know how it panned out in the end. but your solcitor can query if you buy.

Anti social behaviour - it occurs in every area though. I for the most part felt safe there. You do get gangs of teenagers hanging around but they never caused me any problem.

The pros:

The houses are a good build quality IMO, I lived in Begree and never had any issues with my house. My dad is a surveyor and checked it out before I bought, he preferred the build quality to Ongar which we also viewed. The ventilation was poor in the ensuite, it had a window but no fan so I got one installed.

Lovely neighbours. There have been comments about rented properties. a number of houses were rented in my street and I never had any issue with any of my neighbours. Most of them were families and long term renters.

Shops are convenient, pub and hotel nice.

The 40D is a very good service, very reliable.

The community centre has great clubs, exercise classes etc

Schools

• Registered Users Posts: 2 medea2

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a house in Tyrrelstown but I've heard mixed views on the area and there is no up to date review on boards. Just wondering could I get an update please? :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Threads merged

• Site Banned Posts: 2 sarahkirbs

Zaph wrote: »
    So you're telling me that you went to the trouble of signing up to Boards so you could spout misinformed, untrue, xenophobic sh*te like that in response to a six year old post? Sounds like the people in Tyrrellstown have had a lucky escape that you won't be living anywhere near them.

And I should also point out that you're as welcome here as you would be there. Post on this thread again, or any more crap like that anywhere in this forum, and you'll find yourself banned from here pretty swiftly.

Typical, someone who has a different view gets called a racist very original buddy :rolleyes:

You sound mad? Did you purchase in TYT? Or were you bullied at school?

Go on internet warrior work your magic

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Why do people never take warnings seriously? Come back in a month if you're willing to post civilly.

EDIT: It appears our visitor was a persistent re-regging troll, so they're now gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Zaph wrote: »
    Why do people never take warnings seriously? Come back in a month if you're willing to post civilly.

EDIT: It appears our visitor was a persistent re-regging troll, so they're now gone for good.

Good job Zaph!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

medea2 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm thinking of buying a house in Tyrrelstown but I've heard mixed views on the area and there is no up to date review on boards. Just wondering could I get an update please? :)

It would have been built around the same time as Ongar but personally I think the village and most of the houses are more attractive in Tyrrelstown. It also looks less shabby and seems to be well kept.

There seems to be a strong sense of community in the area with online forums and football groups etc.

There is a recently built community centre and school which has been a good addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 medea2

Thanks for all the help, we're going to have a walk/drive around the area. But it all sounds pretty positive so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

As a resident in the area for the last 10 years the only problem I have with it is geography. I'm from Stillorgan originally and my wife is from Greystones. So from that perspective we're a fair bit away from a lot of friends and family. Other than that all I can really say is:
    1. You're 30 mins from town on the bus at weekends, 45-50 during rush hour.
    2. The shops in Ttown are grand, with Suoer Valu and Lidl being the main two. There a decent butchers, off license and a few other bits. But you'll probably find you'll still need to pop down to Blanch village from time to time. The Super Valu is a small one so the stock isn't always great.
    3. The areas and houses in the "far" side are probably the better ones. There are 2 developments in Ttown with the far one being the one furthest from Mulhuddart/Blanch. The houses here are better designed and there are no realy issues with the management companies so the areas are kept well.
    4. Check out www.tyrrelstown.net. It's the community forum and a great resource if you do decide to move in.
    5. Other than when the estate was newly built we've had no issues with security at all. When we first moved in there were the few attempted car thefts and break ins, but that's normal in a new housing estate. It's been incredibly quiet on that front for a good few years now.

That's all I can think of anyway. If you're working in the general area or from the general area I think Ttown is a great spot. As I said my only issue with it is that it's a trek back home for us. We both work in south county Dublin now too so we've to make that trip every day which is a pain in the arse. That aside I quite like the area. Which is good because we can't afford to move right now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

There was a fear a few years ago that Tyrrlestown may not mature or develop as a community. That fear was obviously unfounded, and it really has come on. Ok, many people may not know each other, and people go about their business without every interacting at all, but all modern estates are like that.

The shopping centre is excellent in Tyrrelstown, and the sports clubs are getting better and better.

All in all, it would be a decent place to live.

Tyrrelstown is one of the better boom estates in Dublin. Has good facilities and community spirit. Houses are well built and have decent space. There is a lot of work around and traffic is not bad if you are driving.
    Main downside is the bus commute into town, if you are travelling during peak times. There is a similar balance of rental to owner occupied hoses as any other are but most renters are stable so this is not a problem – DAFT usually only has about 5 properties for rent at any time so this shows a very low turnover of rental property.
    Overall I think it’s a great area, however if you are on the bus and have to work around the IFSC or south city center then the bus and terminus location is a bit awkward.

Advertisement