Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shore Diving in Dublin

• 06-07-2008 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Is there any nice shore diving in dublin?
    Have only been able to find Sandycove and Bulloch harbour.

Thanks.
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've only done a boat dive in the area, but plenty of people go in from Sandycove beach and the walkway by Joyce's Tower. Take a look at Ocean Divers site http://www.oceandivers.ie/divedub.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jad0446

Fred, where is Joyce's Tower?
    Neither myself or my partner are locals, so we have no idea where anything is.

We had found ocean divers, as we rend gear from them, but find that many websites do not offer shore dive advice or where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ponybottle

jad0446 wrote: »

We had found ocean divers, as we rend gear from them,

If you pay them a fee they will probably let you have the gear willingly !

Chris

Ponybottle. We rent gear from them. But it's difficult finding shore dives and the clubs do mainly boat dives. And those that do shore dive are far from where we are i Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ponybottle

Jad

I was only pulling your leg.

Afraid the only Dublin shore dive with reasonable access / depth is Sandycove Harbour and general area.

Viz varies from zero to 7 mtrs or so and dept up to 18 mtrs or so if you head North ( the further north the faster the current so watch the tides ! ).

East coast diving is pretty testing but when you have logged up some dives in these conditions and then go south/west/north you can often be in for a treat in comparison.

Chris

• Advertisement

We've been diving Sandy Cove lately, got a max depth of 11m the other day. Viz of bout 2/3m :mad:

Bullock Harbour we've been told is not that great, but we don't want to try it without someone that's been there, as we don't know the area. Boat dives can get expensive to do all the time.

Fred, where is Joyce's Tower?
    Neither myself or my partner are locals, so we have no idea where anything is.

We had found ocean divers, as we rend gear from them, but find that many websites do not offer shore dive advice or where to go.

If you walk from Sandycove beach around past the forty foot you go past the Joyce tower.

If you are driving, drive along Dun Laoghaire sea front, turn left at the end and follow the road around to the right past the beach. 50metres after the beach is a kind of tee junction. Park up on your left and you will see an entrance to the shore through the wall with a walkway out. a lot of divers go in there. (It is very slippery though, be careful)

There is a diving club based in Naas I think that dive there a lot of evenings in the summer. Pop down there one sunday late morning and there is a pretty good chance you will find people diving, ask around they would be willing to help.

I've snorkelled around there quite a bit and you get lovely views of kelp, rocks, more weed and sometimes scores of jellyfish. If you are really lucky you may even get a few naked 60 year old blokes swimming off the forty foot:eek:

Personally I'd pay the extra to go out in Ocean Divers RIB, they are a good bunch of guys and know the area really well. I've dived around Maidens Rock before (one of the rocks off Dalkey Island) and it was quite good, however the tides are a bit strong there so I wouldn't recommend a shore dive, you may not get back!

Yeah, we've seen the naked 60yr olds off Sandy Cove..... :eek:

We heard about a walkway that is near a school, a few miles down the coast from Sandy Cove.

Yeah, we've seen the naked 60yr olds off Sandy Cove..... :eek:

We heard about a walkway that is near a school, a few miles down the coast from Sandy Cove.

I don't know that, unless it is near Loretto Abbey in Dalkey. Go up past Bulloch Harbour (Turn left before the castle on the Dun Laoghaire/Dalkey road), up past the church and turn left before you enter the one way bit. Not sure about a walkway though but if there is, that will bring you out by Maiden's Rock I spoke about, watch the tide though, I dived it at high tide and when the tide changed we had to come out, it was impossible to swim against.

You might be able to get into the water at Colliemore harbour as well, but again, the tides around there are pretty strong most of the time, you may go in at Colliemore but come out in Bray (Or even Wales):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bem

That site by Lorretto school is Lady's Well (between the school and pitches). The access is not excatly a lane though, its a scramble over rocks; apparently a lovely dive if the weather and tides are good. Trinity sub-aqua club have loads on info on dives sites in Dublin on their webpage, mostly boat dives though: http://www.tcdlife.ie/clubs/subaqua/Diving/Sites/Dublin_bay.php

• Advertisement

So off my partner and I went today, following all directions......

Couldn't find it :confused:

Is there a map or something? Or an address....have gps :)

So off my partner and I went today, following all directions......

Couldn't find it :confused:

Is there a map or something? Or an address....have gps :)

I'm not sure if it is still accessible. The school has been doing some building work and a new fence has gone up which blocks off any access to the sea.

anyway. you want loretto avenue, off Convent Road.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=dalkey&countryCode=IE#map=53.28005,-6.09971|16|4&loc=IE:53.27978:-6.10034:17|dalkey|

Ok, so we were in the right place. It's all fenced off :(
    There was a little gap right at the bottom, looked like you could walk it to the ocean, but it was overgrown with plants and bushes etc, doesn't look good for walking through at all. Maybe with a weed wacker thinger....bush panga maybe?

Pity though. It looked like an awesome spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CorvetteTom

Hi,
    Have a look at http://www.mydivelocker.ie/
    and in particular check out the dive map
    This shows a number of dive locations around ireland - and you can add more also - can be very useful in getting details for sites

Advertisement