Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brilliant Classics

Options
  • 06-07-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭

Just going to recommend a couple of essential recordings on this label, which somehow seem to have passed by largely unnoticed.

Both are Rudolf Barshai, the first conducting the complete Shostakovich symphonies and the second Mahler 5 and 10.

4581_coverpic.jpg

Mahler105Barshai.jpg

Barshai doesn't work on these with the most well-known orchestras (in fact the Mahler is recorded by the Berlin Youth Philharmonic), but that doesn't take from the fact that each recording (seventeen symphonies on thirteen CDs in all) is an absolutely masterful interpretation of the work in question.

The fact that both boxes can be purchased for a total price of under 30 Euro makes them unmissable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

Yep, these are really good recordings. Nab if you can.

Does the shostakovich version you have the interview with Barshai too? I got the bigger version (red box) with the string quartets as well (and some other stuff) which has this interview.

Unfortunately I listened to alot of Haitink's Shostakovich in earlier times, and can't seem to to wean myself off it.

I have to say, that, despite all his other music, whenever I listen to the 1st Symphony, I'm always amazed. 4th and fifth excellent. Never could get into the 10th however (maybe one day).

I don't have the Mahler-Barshai, but it's also highly recommended around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

stabu wrote: »
    Yep, these are really good recordings. Nab if you can.

Does the shostakovich version you have the interview with Barshai too? I got the bigger version (red box) with the string quartets as well (and some other stuff) which has this interview.

Unfortunately I listened to alot of Haitink's Shostakovich in earlier times, and can't seem to to wean myself off it.

I have to say, that, despite all his other music, whenever I listen to the 1st Symphony, I'm always amazed. 4th and fifth excellent. Never could get into the 10th however (maybe one day).

I don't have the Mahler-Barshai, but it's also highly recommended around the place.

Yeah, someone recommended the red box to me, but I already had most of the music on it. I don't have the interview, just some information about the symphonies. If you would be able to get me a copy of it, it would be much appreciated.

Both the Mahlers blew my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

I have it in storage. I'll try and remember to pull it out .. might not be for some though I'm afraid.

Advertisement