Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair: to thieve or not to thieve

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BistoKid

I only take hand luggage when travelling ryanair, and I never take priority boarding either. I normally find that while the priority boarders are gridlocked at the front of the plane, I just saunter up the back steps and always get a window seat :cool:
    Also I find that if I have a decent dinner before going to the airport, I dont need to buy any overpriced food/drink onboard. :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

BistoKid wrote: »
    Also I find that if I have a decent dinner before going to the airport, I dont need to buy any overpriced food/drink onboard. :cool::cool:
    or I just throw together a few ham sandwiches - saves a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

axer wrote: »
    or I just throw together a few ham sandwiches - saves a fortune!

Time to become cynical, I wonder when they're going to discover some arab smuggling a bomb in a bacon bap?:eek::pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

More to the point, when will Ryanair start charging you to use their toilets? They have to get that sewage pumped off the plane - that costs money and then it costs extra in fuel to be carrying that sewage in the first place. The way things re going with fuel, they might even remove the toilets from the plane altogether and squeeze in another couple of seats.

I can't understand why people extol the virtues of Ryanair - they are a cheap and nasty outfit that treat their customers with utter contempt. Sure you can fly from Dublin to a field an hours drive from Paris for a few euro (providing you book well in advance) but you get charged if you bring luggage? What are you supposed to do, wear the same clothes for 3 days?

pithater1 wrote: »
    Time to become cynical, I wonder when they're going to discover some arab smuggling a bomb in a bacon bap?:eek::pac::D
    A pig fed plastic explosives before being made into ham slices.

One thing I found strange was I was allowed to bring 8 tins of baked beans through security (don't ask) even though they were liquid. You would think the risk of gassing the whole plane to death would have been enough of a risk even without the fact that there was liquid in the cans.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

The easyjet plane ticket was £27, much cheaper than the £150 I paid ryanair when you take the excess baggage into account. And £130 for 2 bags is quite excessive.

What airports does EasyJet fly from?? And to what destinations and how frequently??

Fact is, Ryanair is too things; a. the cheapest airline b. the most consistent ie; they fly regularly out of more airports than Dublin

Whatever about Ryanair's charges, fact is even when it all adds up they are still the cheapest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Check out easyjet.com. Ryanair do fly to more destinations, so I have to use them sometimes, but wherever possible I go with easyjet. Easyjet fly to some less popular places such as Denmark, and all the very popular places like Ibiza, Amsterdam, Spain, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Check out easyjet.com. Ryanair do fly to more destinations, so I have to use them sometimes, but wherever possible I go with easyjet. Easyjet fly to some less popular places such as Denmark, and all the very popular places like Ibiza, Amsterdam, Spain, etc.

Yes, and then you have to get to Belfast, and then get to Aldergrove airport which is nowhere near Belfast City.

From Dublin it could take you four hours just to get to the airport...

I do hope Easyjet start flying from Dublin though, have used them a few times and they were great.

More to the point, when will Ryanair start charging you to use their toilets?
    I very much doubt they ever will. Anyway they charge for toilets in many shopping centres and I don't hear people constantly giving out.
    I can't understand why people extol the virtues of Ryanair - they are a cheap and nasty outfit that treat their customers with utter contempt.
    Thats what you think. I think they are just a cheap airline and I do not understand why people need to be treated any differently than if they were in a bus when flying with regards legroom or anything else. In fact, I don't believe the citylink buses (can't speak for bus eireann) have toilets. I take a 2.5 hrs bus ride to the airport before I get on a 2 hour flight to germany. I still find Ryanair more comfortable in all its cheapness than citylink - who operate one of the more comfortable buses.
    Sure you can fly from Dublin to a field an hours drive from Paris but you get charged if you bring luggage? What are you supposed to do, wear the same clothes for 3 days?
    Bring hand luggage. You can bring 10kg with you for free. How much clothes could you possibly need for 3 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Aer Lingus tends to be a few quid more expensive but at least you dont feel angry at every stage. Plus they are friendly. Its worth the extra few bob. Dont fly Ryanair anymore - you have a choice. I switched and never looked back.

To me its akin to eating in McDonalds. Its cheap and nasty.

• Advertisement

Not much use to most Irish people when they only fly from Belfast. They look like they have some good prices though and seem to include all charges in the price. Is there any credit card charges or is the price they give the complete charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

nava wrote: »
    What I have to say about Ryanair is that their flights are always on time, I don't think in all the flights I taken over the last few years ever had a delayed flight. Took a a couple with Aer Lingus and both delayed for at least 30min.

Was delayed Friday before last for an hour, nearly missed my connection despite allowing over 2 hours. They were pretty rude about it too, didn't bother apologising or even making up an excuse, plus started telling people to sit down quickly or we'd missed our ATC slot - never mind that we were already an hour late thanks to them.
    Easyjet is MUCH better than ryanair. They have much fewer added charges and give much better customer service. They let you have 1 bag checked in for free. Once I travelled with ryanair with 2 extra bags and they charged me £130 excess baggage! The plane ticket was only £20! On the way home, with the same baggage, I flew with easyjet. They let me off without paying anything extra for the bags. Easyjet are always much better in my experience than ryanair. In future, go with easyjet!

Yes, easyjet are great. Except they don't fly to the Republic of Ireland.
    I can't understand why people extol the virtues of Ryanair - they are a cheap and nasty outfit that treat their customers with utter contempt. Sure you can fly from Dublin to a field an hours drive from Paris for a few euro (providing you book well in advance) but you get charged if you bring luggage? What are you supposed to do, wear the same clothes for 3 days?

No, pack them in your carry-on. Myself and the gf regularly go away for up to a week with enough gear packed in our carry-on luggage. And while some Ryanair airports are a long way out like "Paris" and "Frankfurt" , in other cases (e.g. Riga) they use the same one as AL, and some (e.g. Milan) are actually closer to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Not much use to most Irish people when they only fly from Belfast. They look like they have some good prices though and seem to include all charges in the price. Is there any credit card charges or is the price they give the complete charge?

Most Irish people I know fly from Belfast to London and then from London to wherever they want to go. Still cheaper than a normal plane ticket.

Most Irish people I know fly from Belfast to London and then from London to wherever they want to go. Still cheaper than a normal plane ticket.
    Depends where you live in Ireland I guess but flying through london can be expensive in taxes and charges etc and delays etc.

I very much doubt they ever will. Anyway they charge for toilets in many shopping centres and I don't hear people constantly giving out.

Thats what you think. I think they are just a cheap airline and I do not understand why people need to be treated any differently than if they were in a bus when flying with regards legroom or anything else. In fact, I don't believe the citylink buses (can't speak for bus eireann) have toilets. I take a 2.5 hrs bus ride to the airport before I get on a 2 hour flight to germany. I still find Ryanair more comfortable in all its cheapness than citylink - who operate one of the more comfortable buses.

Bring hand luggage. You can bring 10kg with you for free. How much clothes could you possibly need for 3 days?

Right then.....

Point one - toilets
    I see sarcasm is lost on you then....;)

Point two - customer dis-service
    If you pay for a service (at the price the company quoted), then the very least you can expect is a little courtesy - not the thinly veiled contempt their staff have towards their customers, i.e. the ones paying their wages.

Point 3 - luggage charges
    Now let me see - my clothes, my wife's, the 4 kids, the bottles, the nappies, the prams etc. I take it you don't have a family then or do you all like to get down and dirty :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Right then.....

Point one - toilets
    I see sarcasm is lost on you then....;)

I think it would last until someone had a dirty protest
    Point two - customer dis-service
    If you pay for a service (at the price the company quoted), then the very least you can expect is a little courtesy - not the thinly veiled contempt their staff have towards their customers, i.e. the ones paying their wages.

You pay for what you get, if you want Customer service, a coke and a smile use British Airways or KLM.

Now let me see - my clothes, my wife's, the 4 kids, the bottles, the nappies, the prams etc. I take it you don't have a family then or do you all like to get down and dirty :rolleyes::D

Thats the point though itsn't it, it doesnt suit you, so its rubbish. The reason the flight is cheap is because the extras are taken out and optional. Just because they give people a choice doesn't mean someone else should have to pay for you bringing a load of luggage, 4 kids and prams etc.

It was your choice to have all those sprogs at the end of the day ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I can fly to england and back for cheaper than a train return to dublin, hardly a rip off. As fo rht boat, I have used that too, it takes way longer to get a boat, way way longer. You alos have to get the train after you arrive which is more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So you travel with a load of baggage! You can pay for it! I won't!

I got to Prague and back last month (incl luggage) for less than the rail fare to Dublin. I'm not a fan of Ryanair (their Union views and Mr O'Leary's general attitude) and use other carriers when I can, but when they are offering what is a cheap Air-bus service what do you expect? I don't get friendly cabin staff on the train or bus either. I don't get any food on the bus and many don't have toilets. You get what you pay for. Fly full price with the other carriers if you want all the trimmings. It's your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BistoKid

Yeah, fly Aer Lingus and get all the trimmings. :rolleyes:

BistoKid wrote: »
    Yeah, fly Aer Lingus and get all the trimmings. :rolleyes:

I usually fly Aer Lingus for less than Ryanair quotes. The service is fine for the money I pay. As said earlier, it's cheaper than the bus or train where there's no service at all except getting from a to b (even if that means standing all the way! ;);)

• Advertisement

So you travel with a load of baggage! You can pay for it! I won't!

I got to Prague and back last month (incl luggage) for less than the rail fare to Dublin. I'm not a fan of Ryanair (their Union views and Mr O'Leary's general attitude) and use other carriers when I can, but when they are offering what is a cheap Air-bus service what do you expect? I don't get friendly cabin staff on the train or bus either. I don't get any food on the bus and many don't have toilets. You get what you pay for. Fly full price with the other carriers if you want all the trimmings. It's your choice.

It seems to me that Ryanair is the way to go if you're the young free and single celtic tiger cubbie with no attachments. Can't see how someone with a family could fly with them without getting fleeced. Its not so long ago that AerLingus were a relatively good airline to fly with and while not being as cheap as Ryanair, they provided a good service. Now that they've become Ryanair Lite (with the cheapie price upfront but the hidden charges waiting round the corner), there's not much option for families to fly apart from the dreaded package holidays. So now that the 2 main options are clones of themselves, who does provide the "trimmings" as you call them, i.e. IMO decent customer service and a baggage allowance, oh what luxuries :rolleyes:

If someone is going to slate me for (a) having kids or (b) making them pay (?) for my taking the family luggage - then would they please clarify if they too have families or are the young free single types that will one day understand that they too might eventually have others to consider as well.

Now I'm off to book a holiday in the west of Ireland. It may be wet but at least I won't have to endure the hell on earth of getting a family of 6 through Dublin airport, treated like sh!te on the plane, be dumped in a faceless resort with crap food and then having to face getting home again. Nah, I think I'll pass.

IMO decent customer service and a baggage allowance, oh what luxuries :rolleyes:
    What does decent customer service entail? I have always found Ryanair's staff to be pleasant and helpful. What baggage allowance do you want? You can pay to bring checked in baggage if you want.
    If someone is going to slate me for (a) having kids or
    Nobody is slating you for having kids.
    (b) making them pay (?) for my taking the family luggage - then would they please clarify if they too have families or are the young free single types that will one day understand that they too might eventually have others to consider as well.
    Everyone has to pay for checked in luggage if you want to bring it. Who is even forcing you to go abroad? It is always going to be more costly and more stressful to bring a family abroad.
    Now I'm off to book a holiday in the west of Ireland. It may be wet but at least I won't have to endure the hell on earth of getting a family of 6 through Dublin airport, treated like sh!te on the plane, be dumped in a faceless resort with crap food and then having to face getting home again. Nah, I think I'll pass.
    Whats wrong with holidaying in Ireland? I did it as a kid, never once left the country until I was 19 and it didnt bother me - I had a great time in westport and other places. The weather is no worse now than it was back then.

A friend of mine brought his family (3 kids) to trabolgan in Cork a few weeks ago. He, the other half and the kids had a great time. I think it is unnesscessary to bring a family (especially one with small kids) abroad on holidays - if you really want to then be prepared to pay for the extra luggage and be ready for the extra stress - its your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

It seems to me that Ryanair is the way to go if you're the young free and single celtic tiger cubbie with no attachments. Can't see how someone with a family could fly with them without getting fleeced. Its not so long ago that AerLingus were a relatively good airline to fly with and while not being as cheap as Ryanair, they provided a good service. Now that they've become Ryanair Lite (with the cheapie price upfront but the hidden charges waiting round the corner), there's not much option for families to fly apart from the dreaded package holidays. So now that the 2 main options are clones of themselves, who does provide the "trimmings" as you call them, i.e. IMO decent customer service and a baggage allowance, oh what luxuries :rolleyes:

If someone is going to slate me for (a) having kids or (b) making them pay (?) for my taking the family luggage - then would they please clarify if they too have families or are the young free single types that will one day understand that they too might eventually have others to consider as well.

Get the Ferry to France and pack as much stuff in the boot as you want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ferry is quite pricy too.Maybe best if you have a lot of luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The weather is no worse now than it was back then.

I don't know about that, it hasn't stopped raining here for 2 years.

I try and avoid ryanair as much as possible, but with the monopolies they have in some airports it is impossible.

I wasn't slating you but was saying it is your choice to fly abroad with kids and all that that entails. If you think it's expensive then maybe your expectations are too high and you should re-consider what trips you can afford now you have kids. We have 2 kids and that's exactly what we had to do for a time. Cut your cloth according to your means. Whatever way you look at it flights are cheap today compared to a few years back. If you demand service then pay for it. If you want to bring the kids then pay for them or just find a different type of holiday. But don't expect the airlines to charge all customers the same because you made a lifestyle choice.:rolleyes:

I despise this feeling of entitlement people have just because they have children.

So you have extra bags. Big deal. Why should your decision to :

a> breed
    b> use a low fares airline and expect the service of a 'regular' airline

affect how much I pay for my flights? Why should I have to subsidise your flight?

Surprised you aren't complaining at the long walk from security to the ryanair departure gates with your buggies and children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Dave what is the point you're trying to make at all?

Children have always been expensive to bring on holidays.
    They're your children and you chose to have them.

It's always been a chore for parents to bring their kids on holidays and they choose appropriate holidays and means of transport to suit their needs. [we were always karted off to france on the ferry for our family holidays and stayed in camp sites]

It looks like you didn't and you've a bee in your bonnet for your own bad decision making.
    And your tone towards "young free single types" and "single celtic tiger cubbie with no attachments" is fkking laughable. Bitter much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Just did a search on Ryanair Baggage on google and came across this.

www.cheaperthanryanair.com

Anyone ever use this service for their extra bags ?

• Advertisement

jprender wrote: »
    Just did a search on Ryanair Baggage on google and came across this.

www.cheaperthanryanair.com

Anyone ever use this service for their extra bags ?

That site looks really really dodgy.

Also - it takes 1-2 days for them to get your luggage to you.... :rolleyes:

Advertisement