Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callcentres

Options
  • 06-07-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering how you all feel about callcentres from a banking point of view. Do you find them a help or a hindrance?

If you want something escalated do you insist on speaking to a manager/team leader? Instead do you insist that the call centre staff will take personal responsibility for your problem? If so, how do you ensure that this will happen - do you take the staff member's name, file number, location? Do you insist on taking their full name in order to make sure that the call is recording their name?

It's probably better not to mention specific banks/companies - but have you had any particularly good experiences that you wouldn't have been able to get by using a face-to-face counter staff? And have you had any horror stories?!

Personally I try to treat each callcentre worker as an equal but it's tricky sometimes when they try to sell you things when all you want to do is pay a bill, for example. Plus, when all you want to do is do a funds transfer to another bank - you need to be passed through from department to department. It's like the banks now are a big web of people that only have specific knowledge over a small area. But maybe that's just my bank.

Callcentres: love or loathe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Anytime i've dealt with them they've been excellent. Always sorted out the problem pretty quick. I won't ask for a name unless I need to ring back. I haven't had to ask for a manager. Overall i've been very happy with my particular bank's service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've found AIB always seem willing to help or at least transfer you to the person who can help.

I've found Ulster Bank less knowledgable and more evasive - trying to make me go away rather than solve my problem.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I found the same with ulster bank alright.

I find the BOI call centre very good, for the most part. I know I'm staff, so I might be a bit biased here, but by and large, most people ring the branch to do things like check balances, check transactions, order statements, cards, chequebooks etc. All of which can be easily done by the call centre. Anything that they can't look after they transfer to the branch. I feel sorry for some of the lads in the call centre some times cos some of the customers (especially older ones) just refuse point blank to deal with them and insist on being put through to the branch (and aren't too nice about it either).

In short, I'm happy to deal with a call centre, providing the person I'm talking to knows what they're doing and doesn't leave me on hold for half an hour while they go and check something with a colleague.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I know it was suggested that we shouldn't mention specific banks, but it's hard to relate any experiences without doing so. My current account is with BoI, but as I do all my banking online I haven't used the phone banking in years and can't really comment on it. However my credit card is with NIB, and I'm switching my mortgage over to them as well. I have to say that I've found their call centre staff very helpful and friendly. My only complaint is that it takes so long to get through because there are so many steps to get past before you get to talk to someone. They really need to streamline that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sherifu wrote: »
    Anytime i've dealt with them they've been excellent. Always sorted out the problem pretty quick. I won't ask for a name unless I need to ring back.
    If you did take a name would you be able to get the same person? In my experience callcentres are massive barnyards of hundreds of people, you are never going to get back to the same person if you tried.

I've been told by a few staff members that they have to put me on hold while they are themselves on hold to another department.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The callcentres also seem to have a MASSIVE staff turnover, so if you were dealing with one person you liked, there's a good chance they'll not be there if you ring back again next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Toots85 wrote: »
    The callcentres also seem to have a MASSIVE staff turnover, so if you were dealing with one person you liked, there's a good chance they'll not be there if you ring back again next month.

It's no wonder being paid pittance. A lot of it's hit and miss to be honest. B365 wouldn't be one of my favourites TBH having plenty of daily dealings with staff up there. Maybe I just am unlucky.

That being said I find AIB very helpful but I'm sure there's staff just like me who can't get over how silly people up there can be sometimes.

Advertisement