Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked account.

Options
  • 06-07-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

So I guess the worst thing to happen to a WoW addict has happened to my OH, his account has been hacked and they have taken everything worth selling including a large amount of gold and all other stuff. Is there anything he can do in order to try and retrieve his stuff. He's ringing them later but does'nt seem hopeful. Poor guy is devasted:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

You should be thanking that innocent hacker. He just saved your marraige...or whatever :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm pretty sure that you can get some of your gold/items back. I think its happened to someone else on this forum (Ivan perhaps?) and he got some stuff back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Its something to affects all WoW players, eventually... He needs to contact account and billing, get access back to his account. Once he has done that, he'll be able to submit a ticket in game and get his items and gold back. Its not always guranteed, but its likely enough all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

If it is the first time that it has happened on the specific account, then ticket a GM and you will get everything back. That said, it can take them a long time to return the stuff. Also it goes without saying that he should change his password immediately and do multiple system scans etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'm curious to know how accounts get hacked. Is it due to poor passwords, malware on computers (like keystroke loggers) or other reasons?

• Advertisement

Its usually keyloggers from certain untrustowrth sites. They can easily be downloaded from these sites, and they will keep track of any key presses. If you are careful about what you download and where you download it from, run regular system/spyware checks, and change your password from time to time, you will be fine. 2+ years and no hacked account for me.

Also you can have issues logging in from cyber-cafés. These days, thats the more likely cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

One of our officers got hacked 3 weeks ago. They took all he had then took all we had in our guild bank. Prob was worth about 50k + in gold, with all the heart of darkness and epic plans. His accout is still locked, but we did get all our GB stuff back. Also the hacker deleted all his toons.

Funny thing is the next day a lvl 1 was selling all our epic plans & heart of darkness & much much more. Will blizzard do anything about this ? nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭matthew26

Well unless the server itself has been hacked, I don't think Blizzard would do anything about it. Your personal account is your own responsibility, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Now is the time to bring out security fobs. Id be more then happy to pay a say 20quid sup a year for one of these if it could stop this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

they are out on the blizzard store now, €7. they sold out straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Tis a shame really. I dont think anyone would bitch about paying an extra 20€ a year in europe for the piece of mind of the secutity of their account. Granted id only loose abour 20k in gold and probably the same again over my alts(if my acocunt was hacked, as all my mains are under this), but im sure some players could loose 10 times or more then what i could. Especially guild leaders in established guilded like Badcharlie said.

More security is needed, and i dont think blizz should be in charge of this.... It's upto us to look after our own accounts(dont click gold farmer links etc etc). Change passwords weekly, run full virus/malware scans.

Tis a sad time when something like this happens tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Never had a problem so far fingers crossed.
    I just have AVG and what every security on my modem.
    I don't click on any strange sites at all. But its just funny if they can get your wow details by key logging so easy. And it seems they do it offten... it just shows you how easy they could get your mastercard details also.

I feel like formating my computer as its got to be a year and a half since i done it last. Just feel like i should clean it up just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

when ever im in a cafe i always but my password in notepad and copy/paste it into the login screen, the keyloggers can't pick it up that way.

It would depend on the type of keylogger surely? Isnt it possible for them to record every key press that you make, and then just look for the string that is most likely the password?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

lol5605 wrote: »
    when ever im in a cafe i always but my password in notepad and copy/paste it into the login screen, the keyloggers can't pick it up that way.

ehhhhh, im afraid you are wrong very very wrong

If you email yourself your wow password before you go into the cafe then copy and paste it into the client while there, it can make it alot more difficult to keylog it, but not impossible.

Typing it into notepad and then copy pasting it will have almost no affect on the types of keyloggers that are generally used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

ouch! poor guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

key loggers do exactly what they say on the tin. they log key strokes.

Every button you press is just placed into a file. Generally they include an email application in them so they just email they keylogs to the user who can look through the file for the username and password combination.

more advanced keyloggers show in the logs what program the person is typing into so it makes it much easier to find.

• Advertisement
Advertisement