Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst "goof" you've ever seen in a movie?

Options
  • 06-07-2008 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

There's 2 that really stand out for me as so woeful they're funny :)

Beverly Hills Cop:

Axel Foley goes into confront Victor Maitland in a restaurant about halfway through the film and gets in a scuffle with the bay guys. When doing so he goes to throw one of them across a table. Now I remember seeing this on VHS as a kid and straight away spotting how bad Eddie Murphy's double is in this scene in real time! When you freeze frame the difference is hilarious. Probably the first goof I ever spotted in a film and still one of the ones that stands out.

Edit: Ive checked it on IMDB, they confirm
    Revealing mistakes: Obvious stunt double for Axel as he throws the man at the Harrow club.

In fact there's many "obvious stunt double"s on that list.

But the best for me is in Midnight Run and was the one that gave me the idea for this thread.
    Crew or equipment visible:

After the off-road open-top jeep chase, Jack and Mardukas flag down Marvin in his car. The in-car shots of Marvin show a sound guy sitting over Marvin's right shoulder in the back seat with headphones on.

Its so visible its gas. The guy is just sitting there! :pac:

Over to you.

I think T2 and Titanic hold the record for the most mistakes in (major Hollywood) films, both of them sharing a director who obviously had other things on his mind ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Joeface

Fled
    L.Fishbourne and S. baldwin

While speaking to each other in Baldwins flat , every time the camera goes to baldwin he is wearing a Jumper , then Orange Prision uniform , then the jumper , it happens like 5 times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Sean Connery leads the team up to some flaming boiler thing. Says something like "I watched the timing of this for 4 hours to get this right" or something and then rolls between the flames. Then he opens the door for the team to enter. Only thing is, if he was escaping the first time then why did he not just walk out the door he just opened for the team like he just did?

The constant appearence of the boom mic in scenes in the Happening. Annoyed the hell out of me, though I don't mind it when it happens in the first Resident Evil film.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A recent example. The Incredible Hulk.
    Liv Tyler's character heartbreakingly sells her locket. Next scene she's taking photos on her ultra stylish digital camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How about the plane with the camera on it in Pearl Harbour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Remember seeing a film with jack lemmon and think it was called ' the out of towners' about a couple in NYC for a weekend who find themselfs out of sorts .When the couple are walking through central park , the boom mic above their heads can be clearly seen for a few minutes .

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Never noticed this till i read about it

1532989342_04f41a975f.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm a terrible person for pointing out continuity errors in films.:o

There's obviously the famous one of Charleton Heston and his watch in Ben Hur.

Another one that comes to mind is in Beverly Hills Cop3 when Axel is being interrogated in the control room of the theme park and he's tied to the chair and up pops a mic between his legs!

Also, in American Pie in the party scene when one of the characters picks up a blue plastic cup to drink out of (where someone might have squirted something into..?) and then the next shot the cup is red.

obviously not the worst goof in a film but just the ones that come to mind off the top of me head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Galvasean wrote: »
    A recent example. The Incredible Hulk.
    Liv Tyler's character heartbreakingly sells her locket. Next scene she's taking photos on her ultra stylish digital camera.
    But not just any camera, it was a nicely product placed Panasonic Lumix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Commando.. the bashed up car and then its fully repaired

X-Men 2 I think at the end the book on the presidents table was open then closed.. X Men 3.. wolverines t short gets repaired in between shots...

There is a famous one in the 2nd indiana jones film where one of the main characters swallows a bug by accident but continues on regardless

• Advertisement

Spider-Man: When Peter climbs up the wall for thefirst time his clothes are gravitating towards the wall.

I read that in the Peter Jackson remake of King Kong one of the sailors is wearing boots that were not produced until 1935. The film was set in 1933.
    What kind of sick freak notices that!??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

The guys at www.moviemistakes.com :D

I mean theres a giant gorilla tearing the screen up and someone's watching going "Ooh, look at that guys shoes".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i guess it's to try get women more interested in movie goofs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

Ginger wrote: »
    Commando.. the bashed up car and then its fully repaired

There's so many in this movie we could go on all day, classic stuff! :)

One that really stands out for me though is the scene in the motel when Arnie's wrestling with a guy and they knock through the wall to another room to reveal a couple coupling. If you watch closely, the GIRL is giving it to the GUY in the doggystyle position!

EDIT
    Forgot about one in HEAT. After the shootout at the bank starts and they are driving away, we see a couple of big spiderweb bulletholes in the glass. It then cuts to a shot of the outside of the car from above and the windscreen is fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

One that irritates the hell outta me is at the end of Con Air when Cyruss is handcuffed to the ladder of the fire engine and goes through the glass bridge. The camera angle from above shows him flying through the other side, the fire engine below still driving, and the subsequent road it is travelling on. Yet, somehow, Cyruss lands at some isolated construction yard on a conveyor belt and gets his head crushed.

:confused:

Always annoys me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

I think T2 and Titanic hold the record for the most mistakes in (major Hollywood) films

I was off by only 19 places

http://www.moviemistakes.com/top.php&no_cj_c=1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

http://us.imdb.com/Sections/Goofs/

The first one I ever remember noticing was this one, mainly because I thought the robotic arm looked so cool at the time and then it suddenly disappears

Jurassic Park: When the Velociraptor egg is first hatching, the robotic arm is holding it in place, in the next shot the arm is nowhere to be seen.

In Jurassic park when Nedry is stealing the embyos both Tyrannosaurus (as 'Tyranosaurus') and Stegosaurus (as 'Stegasaurus').
    Interesting they managed to spell Metriacanthosaurus right.

*nerd alert*

*nerd alert*

Its ok, you're not as bad it the guy who made these ;)

I wouldnt mind but he left out the best goof in the film. In the scene where there's a Bad Dino Fella behind a steel door, and as the camera faces the door full on, not only can you see a Clapper Board in the reflection but someone actually "claps" it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I read that in the Peter Jackson remake of King Kong one of the sailors is wearing boots that were not produced until 1935. The film was set in 1933.
    What kind of sick freak notices that!??

The same kinda freaks that notice in the first of Jackson's LOTR you can see a car in the distance on a wideshot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

fight club:
    When the Narrator and Bob are crying together at the support group, Bob is much taller than the Narrator. However, when the two meet in front of Marla's place and Bob tells the Narrator that he is a member of Fight Club, the Narrator is taller than Bob. Edward Norton mentions this on the commentary. He is actually taller than Meat Loaf, but Bob is supposed to be taller than the Narrator. It seems they didn't remember to make him taller in every scene though.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

There is a really bad double for All Pacino scene in HEAT. I forget which part exactly but Al is bursting into a hotel room and its his double doing it. He is clearly a bad double and you see his face clearly for a few seconds. Last time I watched I thought who is this guy. Then I realised it was supposed to eb AL PAcino!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

In 300:
    Mistake Revealing: In the first major battle between the 300 Spartans and the Persians, Leonidas is slaughtering the Persians and the speed of the scene goes from slow motion to fast motion, you see very realistic CGI blood. When the blood hits the the ground it suddenly disappears. This happens many times during this long and awesome scene

When watching the film, this really annoyed me. And is one of the reasons I hate 300.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The best goofs I've seen have to be in Braveheart with cars/vans driving around in the background of a few scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kill Bill vol 1 (part fantasy, I know, but...) How did Uma Thurman get THAT sword on a plane as hand luggage....?

Finding Nemo: The starfish mumbles when she talks because she's stuck to the glass of the fish tank. After that, though, she talks perfectly, whether she's facing the glass or not.... (and yes, I am aware of the whole talking fish thing!!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Larianne wrote: »
    There's obviously the famous one of Charleton Heston and his watch in Ben Hur.

AFAIK thats just an urban myth.

My 2 favourites are from Star Wars, which is full of goofs.

The obvious one is where the storm trooper hits his head waking in the door, however it became so popular that Lucas added a sound effect to the special editions so as to make it look intentional.

My fav though is the bit on the millenium falcon, with han, chewie, luke, ben etc in the cockpit. In the background you see one of the crew, poke his head around the corner, realise he can be seen and hide away again! Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Spiderman: Peter is testing out his webbing in his room, he grabs the can of coke and pulls it towards himself, swings in his chair and does the same to a lamp shade, which he misjudges and it flies past his head, smashing against the wall. Next scene after he talks to Aunt May and surveys the room, the lamp is sitting nicely on the table.

Gladiator: This one bugged me a lot! When Russel is lying on the ground after his fight with Joaquin, he has his head propped up on a nice raised pillow of sand.

• Advertisement

Oh there's so many from Spiderman 3 - Peter wants to make a call so he goes to the payphone. He drops a quarter in and you can clearly hear it dropping into the coin return slot, yet somehow, he magically managed to make the phone call.

Aunt may is pouring everyone tea. She lifts up the pot and pours it in. Also quite visible is the fact that all she is pouring is water.

Advertisement