Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

spigot rings?

Options
  • 06-07-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Afternoon people,

At the moment Im experiencing a serious vibration from the steering column when I'm cruising at 100 kmph. Went to the garage and was told I was missing a spigot ring on my rear wheel. They proceeded to tell me that every spigot ring is different and only certain ones match certain alloy wheel makes. The wheels on the car are MIM alloy wheels, on the motor when I bought it..but after a good hour searching on the net, I can't find any to match.

Any suggestions?

I'd really appreciate it..the thought of driving around with my rear wheel wobbling is'nt a pleasant one.

Thanks in advance!

Cul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

For starters a problem on the rear is not going to cause a vibration in the steering wheel.

Secondly what is a spiggot ring i take it its the plastic mounting ring that is inserted into the wheel to mount on the hub.
    that is all it does is centralises the wheel on the hub.

Go someplace that knows what they are talking about and get your front wheels balanced and that will sort out your vibration.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

yeah your correct about the spigot rings. As for the vibration, it is in fact caused by the lack of a spigot ring on the rear alloy wheel - had the front wheels balanced and they informed me it was the spigot wheels when I had paid for the balancing :rolleyes:

Any more ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Check the wheels for a buckle. Even a minor buckle in the wheel can cause vibrations.

If there is a vibration any wheel repair center can fix them for about €50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

luder wrote: »
    Check the wheels for a buckle. Even a minor buckle in the wheel can cause vibrations.

If there is a vibration any wheel repair center can fix them for about €50

Is that not balancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Is that not balancing?

Balancing the wheels should have sorted the problem, counter weights placed to overcome the imbalance..

If a wheel is buckled it wont spin true, there will be a wobble, If you ever drive behind a car with a buckled wheel you can see the movement very clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Changing front wheels to rear can also help.

Advertisement