Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving a house sewer pipe

Options
  • 06-07-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a house with a poorly designed kitchen extension. Basically I need sewer pipe that used to run on the back of the house now runs trough the kitchen (its boxed off). I want to move the pipe 8 inches parallel to the back of the house so instead of running from the kitchen it runs trough the utility room.

Anyone know what's involved in this? I'm, going to talk to a plumber tomorrow, but would like a heads up before I talk to him, to have a better idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

hard to picture what you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

yea, sorry about that. Basically, as I can put it, the outside pipe running from the bathroom to the ground goes through the kitchen (kitchen is an extention built onto the back of the house). I want to move the pipe 8 inches to the left, out of the kitchen and to the other side of the wall it adjoins so it flows through the utility room beside the kitchen.

I dont know what the story is tho about where the pipe meets the ground then the sewer ect, can that hole be moved? This is way gross

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yeah i know what you are saying. are you sure you cant live with ?

what is the floor constructuion in the kitchen? if its concrete it will make the job harder.

you will also have to find the direction of the pipe beneath the floor. to see if you can tap into the pipe or have to dig more back to re lay more pipe.

moving it either side of the walls presents other problems. will you have to bust through another wall?

anyway you will have to survey the situation a bit better. it will become self explanitory when you can folow the pipe down from the toilet. and see where it has to move.

could be a lot of money just to get rid of a box from the kitchen.

Yea, Im starting to get the idea that this could turn out to be the biggest job in the house.

I'll find out the direction of the pipe, but assuming the worst and its not flowing in the right direction it might have to be a case of living with it boxed off, maybe cementing it in.

what did the plumber say?

• Advertisement

Hey didnt come around today, I think he might get here tomorrow, he has the key to the house, so he is just going to let himself in to have a look. Nothing worth nicking in house at mo.

I'll post what he says.

tbh, either way, Ive kinda come to terms with boxing it off behind cement if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not ideal to have a soil pipe running through the kitchen, but if there are no joints in the pipe there's no possibility of leaks, so it's really only aesthetics you have to worry about.

Now when you have a densely populated apartment block in a warm place (Hong Kong) with slightly leaky communal soil pipes running down the corner of each kitchen, it's a diffferent story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoy_Gardens
    SARS outbreak

Main article: Progress of the SARS outbreak

Towards the end of March 2003, an outbreak of SARS occurred among residents of Amoy Gardens. As of April 15, 2003, there were a total of 321 cases of SARS in the estate. A concentration of cases was recorded in block E, accounting for 41% of the cumulative total. ... Most of the initial 107 patients from Block E lived in flats that were vertically arranged.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

plumber suggest somthing crazy????

Oh your joking about that SARS thing, thats scary as ****.

Yea, was thinking if it has to stay in there, Id get a jointless, single piece pipe to replace the older asbestos *sigh* pipe. Then I would put another external pipe around that, then cement and plaster a right angle enclosure into the corner wall in the kitchen.

The plumber hasnt got into the house to have a look at it. I think he hates sewerage pipe jobs, why be a plumber then, go figure. He is a vgood plumber tho, Ill hang on a bit longer.

Im bumping this, cause Im happy enough with the outcome. Plumber removed the old pipe, installed a new plastic pipe through the utility room and now I have a new corner in my kitchen, and I dont hear it when someone flushes the bog and Im eating toast. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement