Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Bookkeepers Association

• 06-07-2008 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if becomming accredited by the Irish bookkeeper's association was worth it?

I don't have any experience in bookkeeping although I took an 8 week course in computerized accounts (Sage) so I know I can do it. I just don't think a little VEC course is going to convince an employer that I can do it! Would the IBKA certificate be worth the 1150 Euro I'd pay to get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Xiney wrote: »
    I was wondering if becomming accredited by the Irish bookkeeper's association was worth it?

I don't have any experience in bookkeeping although I took an 8 week course in computerized accounts (Sage) so I know I can do it. I just don't think a little VEC course is going to convince an employer that I can do it! Would the IBKA certificate be worth the 1150 Euro I'd pay to get it?

I'll be setting up the Institute of Irish Book-Keepers - It'll cost only, say, €1,050 to get trained. :D

From what I can see (never head of the IBKA, but looked them up) the VEC cert you already have is as good as the IBKA certificate - as far as I can see it is only a certificate of attendance. They give you training, but I don't think they set exams.

Saying you're a member of the IBKA may look good on a CV, but the employer is unlikely to have heard of them, which may be a good thing, because then he may not realise it's only an attendance cert - I'd certainly have doubts about paying that much money for something you already know.

You might want to consider an accounting tech course. IATI or CAT. There's also the AAT, but I don't think they are as easily taken in Ireland now.

EDIT:- The levels are assesed, so disregard that above. I still wouldn't see much benefit in membership though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

You'd be beter off doing an accountant technician course IATI.

Bren1609 wrote: »
    You'd be beter off doing an accountant technician course IATI.

+1.

Much greater recogintion and status.

Just be aware that IATI is a two year programme though, which I imagine is longer than the bookkeeping course.

Advertisement