Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband no cap??????????????

Options
  • 06-07-2008 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Ok what does this mean?

I would not take the piss but could I download 9 or 10 gig a day now with no problems?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

The fair usage policy still applies but I'd say you could get away with 200-300 gigs a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Phlann wrote: »
    The fair usage policy still applies but I'd say you could get away with 200-300 gigs a month.

That seems fair to me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 thebromeliad

Ranicand wrote: »
    Ok what does this mean?

I would not take the piss but could I download 9 or 10 gig a day now with no problems?
    That's a lot. Do you never get viruses from downloading that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

That's a lot. Do you never get viruses from downloading that much?
    rapidshare? no viruses

turf wrote: »
    rapidshare? no viruses
    But most of the files are compressed, so how do you know you're not downloading a virus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

But most of the files are compressed, so how do you know you're not downloading a virus?

Replies in threads, I never get anything without someone else having tried it first :D

You guys are so lucky.

Yee can go through the 30gb limit with BT ( which they are starting to enforce ) in 3 hours 30 minutes.

I can only download 3.5gb in that time :o

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Replies in threads, I never get anything without someone else having tried it first :D
    Nice.
    So Google "file i want" "rapidshare.com/files" , then select sources from forums?
    It's a bitch you have to pay for premium account though:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Meh, I don't usually look for links with replies or comments and I've never gotten a virus of it. One thing that does annoy me when I find a link with no comments, is when it's missing a password.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's a bitch you have to pay for premium account though:(
    Well, they would not be able to provide such a good hosting service without cash coming in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I';d say anyone could get away with perhaps 100-200GB a month on UPC's Fair Usage package, however anybody planning on 1TB a month should think twice as they'll get terminated eventually

• Advertisement

when you decompress, they go into a folder. then its a matter of what type of file you have. movies and music are always safe. software iso's or dmg's for macs especially are pretty much always clean.

its worth paying, 50gig every 5 days.. and on my 20meg line, a dvdrip takes bout 6 mins.

check out LINK-REMOVED.COM very very clean website

Meh, I don't usually look for links with replies or comments and I've never gotten a virus of it. One thing that does annoy me when I find a link with no comments, is when it's missing a password.

hint, type the file name of the one of the links into google.. very often, same link is posted in another forum and more than likely has the password. worked for me alot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Discussing warez will get posters banned. Please cop on.

i'm talking about my home-made movies and some amv's. me and my brother share them over <removed>.. i also record some songs that i share with my producer over <removed>. i also develop software with an online open source community thus the isos and dmgs.

prove any of that not to be true cause its all legal.. i didn't see warez mentioned anywhere in this thread. <removed> is a legit nice forum where people discuss many things. its a large community

one of said amvs.. you shud watch, its quite good.

<link removed>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Back on topic, I think 100-200GB a month isn't that great for fair usage - especially on a 20MB connection. I'd be hoping for at least double.

back on topic, i agree it should be more.. on our old 6 meg line, we got a warning letter for downloading 238 gig. that wasnt even that much we didnt think.

i think 400gig cap wud be realistic

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

turf wrote: »
    i'm talking about my home-made movies and some amv's. me and my brother share them over rapidshare.. i also record some songs that i share with my producer over rapidshare. i also develop software with an online open source community thus the isos and dmgs.

prove any of that not to be true cause its all legal.. i didn't see warez mentioned anywhere in this thread. <SNIP> is a legit nice forum where people discuss many things. its a large community

Thats nice...google cache says otherwise in relation to the content it links to so I've proven its not all legal!

turf, warned for posting warez site link...link also removed

Any more such links from anybody and I'm hitting people with the ban stick, keep the discussion to legal downloads!

Keep within boards and charter rules lads,
    Cabaal,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Just a guess but I'm expecting them to apply fair usage when people complain about congestion, so if people on your loop are complaining about slow speeds, then they'll check your usage and maybe give you a slap on the wrist.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Just a guess but I'm expecting them to apply fair usage when people complain about congestion, so if people on your loop are complaining about slow speeds, then they'll check your usage and maybe give you a slap on the wrist.

I would tend to agree, at the end of the day if you have a few people in an area doing 200-300GBa month and others in the area complain of slow speeds their just going to warn or if the person is really taking the piss terminate a few customers regarding then putting money into extra backhaul.

At the end of the day its maybe 5% of users using 90% of bandwidth, I've seen this stuff first hand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Cabaal wrote: »
    I';d say anyone could get away with perhaps 100-200GB a month on UPC's Fair Usage package, however anybody planning on 1TB a month should think twice as they'll get terminated eventually

I don't think that NTL would have any grounds for complaint no matter how much someone downloads on the new unlimited service. They still offer capped products so people that go for an uncapped service should get just that. Not some unspecified fair usage policy, sure that could mean anything.
    I'll certainly be going a TB a month as soon as I get it.

Blindpew wrote: »
    I don't think that NTL would have any grounds for complaint no matter how much someone downloads on the new unlimited service. They still offer capped products so people that go for an uncapped service should get just that. Not some unspecified fair usage policy, sure that could mean anything.
    I'll certainly be going a TB a month as soon as I get it.

ah you see thats where the FUP comes in, at the end ofg the day its a residential Broadband service and 1TB a month is not consider fair or reasonable on such a service so they'd be well within their rights to Terminate such a customers account and there's very little you could do about it.

The FUP basically covers them if you start affecting other customers and if your costing them too much for backhaul, thats why its so popular with many ISP's in the UK and other countrys

Your bound by this if you use their service - http://www.upc.ie/acceptableusagepolicy
    UPC broadband services are intended for normal recreational or educational use by individuals and families and our pricing and network architecture have been designed accordingly. The Services are strictly for residential use only - commercial use of any kind is prohibited. Customers who use the services more heavily than a normal home user will reduce the performance of the network for other customers.

Your monthly data transfer allowance depends upon which broadband package you have selected. The data transfer allowances for the various packages can be found at www.upc.ie . All monthly data transfer allowances refer to the cumulative amount of data uploaded and downloaded per month, unless otherwise specified in your particular package. For purposes of illustration only, 1 gigabyte downstream of data transfer equates to approximately 200 music tracks, 650 short videos, 10,000 pictures or around 100 large software programmes downloaded.

“Excessive use” of the Service is defined as usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance.

If you exceed your monthly data transfer allowance as determined by UPC, in our sole judgment, UPC may take any of the following actions, or any combination thereof:

· Impose a charge of 3 cent per megabyte or part thereof for exceeding your data transfer limit; and/or

· Upgrade your package to a package with a higher data transfer limit with the corresponding higher monthly fee; and/or

· Downgrade your upload and download speed for a period of one month to dial-up speed, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or

· Suspend your access to the services for one month, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or

· Terminate your account as per the terms of the User Policy and UPC Terms and Conditions.

Your monthly data transfer allowance depends upon which broadband package you have selected. The data transfer allowances for the various packages can be found at www.upc.ie . All monthly data transfer allowances refer to the cumulative amount of data uploaded and downloaded per month, unless otherwise specified in your particular package.

Surely when the package says "data transfer No Limit" that that's a specified
    selling point. There is no higher package at the moment to upgrade to. I think anyone cut off by them on that package would have a case of false advertising against them. I take it that the FUP is being directed at the cheaper products.

Blindpew wrote: »
    Your monthly data transfer allowance depends upon which broadband package you have selected. The data transfer allowances for the various packages can be found at www.upc.ie . All monthly data transfer allowances refer to the cumulative amount of data uploaded and downloaded per month, unless otherwise specified in your particular package.

Surely when the package says "data transfer No Limit" that that's a specified
    selling point. There is no higher package at the moment to upgrade to. I think anyone cut off by them on that package would have a case of false advertising against them. I take it that the FUP is being directed at the cheaper products.

Think what you want but this covers them, as 1TB is not considered "normal" home use by ANY standards
    UPC broadband services are intended for normal recreational or educational use by individuals and families and our pricing and network architecture have been designed accordingly. The Services are strictly for residential use only - commercial use of any kind is prohibited. Customers who use the services more heavily than a normal home user will reduce the performance of the network for other customers.

If you affect other customers your gone and their well within their rights to do so, ASAI will side with NTL on this one I'm afraid

Well in fairness to NTL they have only introduced this new uncapped 20mb service, so I doubt that anyone has been cautioned yet. I'll reserve judgement for now. Even if their advertising is a con job like you say, they can't be any worse than BT. I've been throttled today for the second time this month already by BT and it's only the 7th day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sterzlr

ahhh - fair usage - just got off the phone with BT Technical Support on this issue - i have downloaded 80GB, all done between midnight and dawn, this month and now my speed has been reduced to 130kbps.

The circular argument went like this -
    me: it says unlimited downloads
    bt: yes - but subject to fair usage
    me: i only download at night, is that not fair?
    bt: yes - but you have hit your quota
    me: but it says unlimited?
    bt: yes - but its a fair use policy?
    me: what is the fair use policy limit?
    bt: I don't know, but you have hit your quota

30 minutes of this. Couldn't get out of them when the speed would hit normal levels. They appear to be looking at the last 30 days of downloads and not looking at a calendar month view. So there must be some quota or mechanism that they are using but aren't telling anyone yet.....

Blindpew? how much have you downloaded? Do you think they are only restriciting on a daily basis?

sterzlr wrote: »

Blindpew? how much have you downloaded? Do you think they are only restriciting on a daily basis?

Well when I was first throttled back in Mar I had probably downloaded 200gb in the previous 30 days. I was throttled for three weeks that time. Then I thought that someone had just gone a bit foolish at BT and throttled everyone for three weeks but had been caught. I resumed high downloading but was throttled again within 2 weeks. After that I believed they were serious and started to watch how much I downloaded. I have been throttled on 3 other occasions since, but only for a few days at a time. I was keeping it at about 3gbs a day. For the last week I have been downloading about 7gbs a day with BT and about the same with UPC as I have both services at the moment untill the end of September. If I can convince the wife I'll keep both packages as I think it's the only way forward. None of these ISPs are going to give unlimited use but two services make up one good package. I'd say I'm at 120gbs from BT in the last 30 days at this stage and still unthrottled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

sterzlr wrote: »
    ahhh - fair usage - just got off the phone with BT Technical Support on this issue - i have downloaded 80GB, all done between midnight and dawn, this month and now my speed has been reduced to 130kbps.
    I had a similar discovery today, according to this link my line was upgraded from 2MB to 3MB at the weekend, great! Except when I used speedtest.ie I'm getting ISDN speeds instead of ~300kb like I should be! :(
    Ring them up: "you've reached your cap", wellity, it seems they've finally capped me, after years of not enforcing it (hey I wasn't going to tell them) and well over a TB and a half downloaded according to my only partial uTorrent statistics. :D

Anyway, it's time to ditch Esat BT and get someone

I'm liking the Broadband Express Chorus/NTL option: 10MB/1MB down/up, and no cap.
    But aren't they pants? Or have I heard wrong?

Also, might throw in the TV option as we're still on crappy 17 channel cable with them, (lousy parents afraid of change. :rolleyes: )

Advertisement