Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Western Digital

Options
  • 06-07-2008 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Last july I bought a brand new 500GB external hard drive.

This week after funky goings on with my computer I decided to copy files over to the hard drive. I got a device error during copying and lost all the files on the device. I'm technically minded so I have tried everything to get it to work and it's definitely a hardware fault/failure. I'm not that concerned with the files on it as I can replace them. I've abandoned that ship.

Anywho, I went to WD support. They don't provide any kind of phone support only email support. They state on the website that I can return the product. However, the warranty on the website is from april 07 (the time of manufacture). I can update the warranty with a reciept which I have and have provided to them, however, that was 5 days ago (tuesday). The website states they have a turnaround time of 24 - 48hrs.

The warranty is up on friday. It also states that if I sent back a device with no reference it will be refused. Also, it has to go back to the UK and they state that it must be sent via a courier with tracking number (UPS, DHL etc) which I have worked out will cost me €50 as it is about 5kg.

Surely I shouldn't have to pay this charge? Especially as I have to send the device overseas?? Other countries would only pay a domestic shipping cost where Irish ppl have to pay an international shipping cost? I really don't feel I should have to pay at all tbh.

Also, what happens if they ignore me until next week, then update the warranty and say something like "oh well, your warranty is actually expired so you can't return it" ???

Anyone know what I should do. I know you may tell me to call consumer rights, but i'm already planning that from tomorrow.

Also, if I were to take them to the small claims court, how does this work if they don't have an Irish address or phone number that I can see or find? It's possible they may have a distibution hub somewhere, I heard a rumour of Cork, but it it worth contacting them? I don't have a number for them

I'm so frustrated and confused

Any advice is much appreciated!

Cheers :)

LG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought that there was a three year warranty on WD hard drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Your warranty is with the shop where it was bought, bring it back there. The manufacturers warranty is in addition to this and is 3 years with WD, as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭lifegamer

Thanks guys :)
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    I thought that there was a three year warranty on WD hard drives.

There are 1, 3 and 5 year WD warranty's. Unfortunately the USB Elements drive only has 1 year. The only W product to have 1 year :(

jor el wrote: »
    Your warranty is with the shop where it was bought, bring it back there. The manufacturers warranty is in addition to this and is 3 years with WD, as far as I know.

The shop (Maplin) policy is return for exchange or refund within 14 days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

lifegamer wrote: »

That does not affect your statutory rights which say goods should be of merchantable quality and last for a reasonable amount of time.

Go back to maplin and make them deal with it. Even if they don't want to insist on it, Your contract is with them not WD.

Besides taking them to small claims court is only €9 , not €50 posting it to the UK will cost you and if you did take them to court you're guaranteed to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

lifegamer wrote: »

That only applys if theres nothing wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Anytime I have sent a drive back to them it works as follows:

- Download their diagnostic tools and run it on drive. It will return error code
    - Raise RMA using that error code.
    - Select the option to provide a Credit Card. They will send out a new drive straight away.
    - Once the new drive arrives, Put your old drive in the box that they sent the replacement in. Add all the required labels to the box as outlined in email.
    - Ring UPS/Fed Ex or whoever they use and tell them you want to organise a collection. Its a free service for them to collect from you, WDC pays for the shipping.
    - Make sure you send the replacement back within 30 days or they will charge your CC for the replacement drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

lynchie wrote: »

- Download their diagnostic tools and run it on drive. It will return error code
    - Select the option to provide a Credit Card. They will send out a new drive straight away.
    - Once the new drive arrives, Put your old drive in the box that they sent the replacement in. Add all the required labels to the box as outlined in email.
    - Ring UPS/Fed Ex or whoever they use and tell them you want to organise a collection. Its a free service for them to collect from you, WDC pays for the shipping.
    - Make sure you send the replacement back within 30 days or they will charge your CC for the replacement drive.

I downloaded their tool once and it fixed the drive error (so I couldn't send the damn thing back). However, as I'd already lost data before, I could never bring myself to trust using it again.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭lifegamer

That does not affect your statutory rights which say goods should be of merchantable quality and last for a reasonable amount of time.

Go back to maplin and make them deal with it. Even if they don't want to insist on it, Your contract is with them not WD.

Besides taking them to small claims court is only €9 , not €50 posting it to the UK will cost you and if you did take them to court you're guaranteed to win

I just got off the phone with the cosumer agency. You're right, the helpful guy there mentioned sale of goods and supply of service act 1980.

He also said that if you buy from a store the contract is with them. I've been in there once and was told to go to the manufacturer. I'm going back in today with the product and i'm gonna be more insisting! *fingers crossed*

lynchie wrote: »

I can't raise and RMA because the warranty date on the drive is at date of manufacture (april) so the serial number gives back an out of warranty product. WD have yet to update the warranty. I provided them with a reciept over a week ago :(

Advertisement