Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different hosting for email and website?

Options
  • 06-07-2008 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

If a business has a .ie domain and multiple email accounts assigned to it running on a specific host, can a web with that same domain be parked with a different hosting provider?

If so, are there any potential dangers?

Reason being is that the business is extremely sensitive about access to emails, but does want a website developed, with requirements for a bit of editing now and again. They don't want to be changing passwords every time.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

you can host the site and email at different isp's or host the mail yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Hi thanks for your answer, but it has seriously confused my very basic knowledge of hosting, as I did not think that the ISP was relevant.

My question was that if he is using his business email info@example.ie via a ABCHosting LTD (not ISP??), can he get his website www.example.ie set up an XYZ hosting and leave email with ABCHosting LTD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

check out A records and MX records.

You change the DNS settings to have your hosting point at one location and your email point at another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your answer, but it has seriously confused my very basic knowledge of hosting, as I did not think that the ISP was relevant.

My question was that if he is using his business email info@example.ie via a ABCHosting LTD (not ISP??), can he get his website www.example.ie set up an XYZ hosting and leave email with ABCHosting LTD?
    short answer - yes

longer answer - make sure that the host for the site only knows that they aren't handling mail

Advertisement