Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for advice

Options
  • 06-07-2008 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Long story short the engine on my 2001 Opel Astra seized up on me last Sunday and is now in need of replacing.

The garage the car was towed to gave me a quote of €1400 for everything - not sure how competitive this is but am going to talk to my own mechanic in the morning to see what he thinks about it as well. If the car was fixed up back to perfect order again I would only be looking at a resale value of in and around €4000 which makes me think that putting that much money into it is a bit of a waste!

What other options would I have? If I decide not to get it fixed up (I have a 1990 320i waiting for me to buy from a mate) I obviously want to get as much for whats left of the Astra in return - what would be the best way to do this? An 01 Astra with no engine..not a great selling point!

Auction? Scrap? Sell parts on ebay?

Any thoughts on that would be great, thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

If you decide to keep the car then make sure you get a written quote from the garage. That way you shouldn't get stung for anything over the 1.4k.

Also bear in mind how difficult it is to sell a car at the mo. I'd say if you have the space, skills and patient housemates to break the car down for parts then this is the best option financially. This is especially valid if the car had nice options i.e. alloys, leather seats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Thats what I was leaning towards myself to be honest, especially with the car market the way it is - to sell the car on I would have to take a serious cut on the asking price and it just wouldn't be worth it.

Got room at the side of the house to have it sitting up to be broken down - if that makes the most financial sense then it will be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

You must have an understanding family! Remember to budget for the scrapping of the shell. You could try selling bits on ebay.

Then again if you have the time to rip the car apart then you'd have the time to swap the engine yourself. I'd nearly try to find a 2nd hand motor and throw it in. Either way its less than easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Ferris wrote: »
    You must have an understanding family! Remember to budget for the scrapping of the shell. You could try selling bits on ebay.

Then again if you have the time to rip the car apart then you'd have the time to swap the engine yourself. I'd nearly try to find a 2nd hand motor and throw it in. Either way its less than easy.

That would be my choice every time. Hire an engine crane and go to it. I've done that several times on other people's cars and I'd think it's a lot easier than trying to strip a complete car down to bits. Changing an engine is not especially difficult.

Advertisement