Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is your method for taking contacts out?

• 06-07-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I just got contacts to try out. Couldn't get them in at the optician so gonna try at home. Think I will get them in at home no problem, but I'm just really worried about getting them out. Can people tell me the methods that work for them please? Was thinking of wetting the tip of my finger with solution then tilting my head downwards a bit and just try and get the lens to stick to the finger by touching my eye gently. Would this be a good method to try?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Contact will have too much of a grip on your eye to stick to your finger. What I do is look straight ahead and pinch across my iris. Takes a bit of practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Celtic Lion

is it sore to pinch the iris? or is it just the lenses you are pinching really? also does it tear easily by doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I hold up the top lid with the arm opposite the eye, pull down the bottom with the other hand and use the index finger of that hand to pull the contact out to the side. I often have trouble getting them in but never have any trouble getting them out, even drunk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

was there a reason the optician wouldn't let you wear them?

No I just coudln't get them in at the optician, but I know if I practice more I will get them in, just need to get my eye used to being touched. But the opticians gave me trial ones to take home and try myself to get in.

I know I will get them in the next time I try, but I just want to find out other peoples methods of taking them out, before I get them in myself. Just don't want to have to sleep in them tonight if I can't get them out.

• Advertisement

was there a reason the optician wouldn't let you wear them?

Did he not say he couldn't get them in? Not a good idea to leave the optician without being actually able to put your contacts in and take them out.

Although it took me an hour and two red eyes to do it initially. :)

meglome wrote: »
    Did he not say he couldn't get them in? Not a good idea to leave the optician without being actually able to put your contacts in and take them out.

Although it took me an hour and two red eyes to do it initially. :)

Well I could almost get them in, the lens was touching my eye but wouldn't stick, probably because I was leaning towards the mirror and looking down slightly. But now I'm gonna tilt my head slightly up and be a bit braver. Also, the optician said if I couldn't get them out to just go back to them and they will get them out. So I might leave it to tomorrow morning before putting them in when the opticians are open. But I am working tomorrow so ideally I wanted to try them out before I take them into work just to see how they are.

I've one other question, if a lens is put in inside out, will it mean you can't see properly or will you be able to see properly but it will just be uncomfortable?

I've one other question, if a lens is put in inside out, will it mean you can't see properly or will you be able to see properly but it will just be uncomfortable?

You won't be able to see properly, at least I can't anyway.

You won't be able to see properly, at least I can't anyway.

so is it uncomfortable and painful as well? (sorry for all the questions :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

to remove lenses what i do is this: use the upper eye lid by pushing it up away (as if opening the eye further), then pushing it in onto the eye gently, moving it downward again (as if closing the eye) the inside of the eyelid will catch the edge of the lense and bring it down with the eyelid. The lense will then simply fall out of your eye and stay stuck between your eyelashes from which you can just pull it away. (Ideally it should be done with both upper and lower eyelids simultaneously, but I cant and top one works for me fine).

I know this sounds like a long winded way, but its difficult to explain. Honestly it takes a few seconds. I used to get mad from doing it the other way before which was pinching them out. Sometimes the lenses were so stuck if my eyes were dry, and I could be 15 mins trying and getting hotter and hotter with frustration!! Now it works in seconds!!

Good luck.

mumof2 wrote: »
    to remove lenses what i do is this: use the upper eye lid by pushing it up away (as if opening the eye further), then pushing it in onto the eye gently, moving it downward again (as if closing the eye) the inside of the eyelid will catch the edge of the lense and bring it down with the eyelid. The lense will then simply fall out of your eye and stay stuck between your eyelashes from which you can just pull it away. (Ideally it should be done with both upper and lower eyelids simultaneously, but I cant and top one works for me fine).

I know this sounds like a long winded way, but its difficult to explain. Honestly it takes a few seconds. I used to get mad from doing it the other way before which was pinching them out. Sometimes the lenses were so stuck if my eyes were dry, and I could be 15 mins trying and getting hotter and hotter with frustration!! Now it works in seconds!!

Good luck.

That sounds like you have found yourself a real easy and painless way of doing it. But I don't think that would work for me, I just don't think I could get my eyelid up that far so that is completely passed the lens.

so is it uncomfortable and painful as well? (sorry for all the questions :))

Not for me with the Focus dailys. Might be worse with the monthly ones, I dunno.

That sounds like you have found yourself a real easy and painless way of doing it. But I don't think that would work for me, I just don't think I could get my eyelid up that far so that is completely passed the lens.

Of course you can, but hey, was thinking about this, customer service cant be very good wherever you went, as they should have been helping you put them in until you got it, and helping you get them out until you are confident at it.............

Of course you can, but hey, was thinking about this, customer service cant be very good wherever you went, as they should have been helping you put them in until you got it, and helping you get them out until you are confident at it.............

No they were fine, it was me that asked could I take them home and try them as I had already been there about an hour and didn't want to waste any more of their time, because I thought it could take me another hour or more before I got them in. The girl showed me how she puts in and takes out hers and told me if I can't get them out to just come back to them and they will get them out.

Not for me with the Focus dailys. Might be worse with the monthly ones, I dunno.

I've got the focus dailys. Trouble is I have no idea which way is the right way. I put them both ways but they look exactly the same, I can't see any difference. Really hope I don't put them on inside out the first time I get them in.

I've got the focus dailys. Trouble is I have no idea which way is the right way. I put them both ways but they look exactly the same, I can't see any difference. Really hope I don't put them on inside out the first time I get them in.

It's one of the things I don't like about the focus dailys, it's difficult to tell which is the right way. Some of the other brands have text that shows you so it's simple. I just make sure to be very careful when taking them out of the packet to keep them the right way. They told me in specavers that the contacts will want to go the correct way if you try them both ways you'll be able to see it, but to be honest I'm not really seeing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

the way i was adviced was to , use one hand the hold the eye lids open, and then use my free hand to flick the lens out, you kind of bring your finger in a down wards motion from the top to the bottom of the eye, as your finger cathches the lens, it should grip to the finger tip, hand need to be clean and dry,

if by a reflex action, your eye closes, i sometimes find the lens gets caught between the eye lids (then lens is visable siting juting between the two0 and then its just a case of keeping the eye closed and sliding the lens out between your finger tips

have often heard of people pinching the lens whislt its sitting on the eye, was never shown it my self, and would probably be too wary of attempting it my self after doing it the other way for so long

I cant see how you could turn them inside out, as they are in a small bit of solution when u open then, so when you tip them out they flow/fall out onto your fingers...........mine have never gone inside out.

I cant see how you could turn them inside out, as they are in a small bit of solution when u open then, so when you tip them out they flow/fall out onto your fingers...........mine have never gone inside out.

but aren't they just laying flat when they are in the solution, so should you put the side that is face down on the tip of your finger, or should you put your tip on the side that is face up?

• Advertisement

but aren't they just laying flat when they are in the solution, so should you put the side that is face down on the tip of your finger, or should you put your tip on the side that is face up?

No, at least mine arn't. They are shaped to fit the curve/shape of your eye. What make are yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Hey there. Tis a tricky business indeed getting used to the slippy little buggers!!!

To get my lenses out i had to try and test a few different ways, so don't worry if what you try first doesn't really work. The longer you wear lenses the more comfortable you'll get with trying different ways to get them out, and you'll relax more too, which helps.

When you're taking them out it's a good idea to have them in for a long time first, if possible. My eyes dry out after a day of wearing lenses (though maybe not all eyes do) so your finger will grip them more easily than if they're still moist and clinging to the eye. Life your top lid and pull down on your bottom. Make sure you're looking into a mirror (for the first while at least) and place the tip of your free index finger on the lens, in the centre. I was initially trained to "pinch" them out, but I found this too abrasive and sometimes ended up hurting myself. i just touch the lens now and bring it down the eye while rolling my eyeball upwards in a quick motion which kind of flicks it out. A trick is to bring it to the side as well and flick it out from there. Be careful if you're using the pinching method as it can damage or scrape the iris (most important part!!) if you're too rough.

In terms of them being inside out - my optician showed me a handy little trick for determining whether or not they're the right way around on your finger. (I use the vision express ones so it might be different to yours). Mine are packaged so that when you open them you put your finger straight down onto the lens, take it out, and put them in that way up. the occasional lens will be inside out. I always feel that they're uncomfortable and scratch immediately if they're inside out and I know straight away. A way to tell before inserting (or if you drop them and get confused!!) is to get the lens and balance it on the inside of one of your knuckles. Curl your finger gently. If the lens edges seem to curl together easily, it's the right way around. if it seems stiff, it's inside out. Now the difference can be tiny but it always works for me now that i know what to look for.

Good luck with them!!!

Thanks for the tips everyone. Also what about putting them on, sometimes I notice tiny bits of dirt/dust on the lenses sometimes, is it ok to put them in with these on the lenses or should the lens be completely clean? They are only miniscule so I'm guessing it won't really matter if there on, also it takes ages to get them off and sometimes when I've got them off and I'm about to put them in I notice another bit of dirt or dust has landed on the lens. Quite frustrating.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Also what about putting them on, sometimes I notice tiny bits of dirt/dust on the lenses sometimes, is it ok to put them in with these on the lenses or should the lens be completely clean? They are only miniscule so I'm guessing it won't really matter if there on, also it takes ages to get them off and sometimes when I've got them off and I'm about to put them in I notice another bit of dirt or dust has landed on the lens. Quite frustrating.

Ideally the lenses should be dust free before entering your eye. If you keep putting them in with smears and dust on them, you're risking infection. If you notice a fleck of dust on them, pop them back into their solution for a minute and swish them around. (Once you take them out of the little packets, keep th packet and the liquid within to one side until they're in in case you need to rinse them). Never use water.

I've now managed to ruin all the trial lenses I had. Does anyone know is there anywhere you can get lenses in Dublin without a prescription? My prescription is with an optician in my home town and I won't be back there until next weekend or the weekend after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

re getting lenses out. I use the pinch method. With my fourth finger I pull down my lower eylid and then just pinch the lens out between the middle and index finger. QED but then I've just realised I've been doing it for 21 years :eek: so I guess I've perfected the method...

Re inside out. I have focus dailies and if I put them in inside out my eye starts watering and blinking like crazy. It's very uncomfortable. i can't tell by looking at them.

Re dusty. If there are specks on them I just pop them back in the solution and swirl them around a bit til they look clean.

re getting lenses in Dublin... sorry Haven't a clue:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Was hoping to get contact lenses today. The optician put them in for me, and then he told me to try and take them out and put them in again.

After 30 minutes, I managed to get the right one out with a bit of luck but then after another 10 minutes I was still trying to get the left one out. It wasn't going to come out for me so the optician did it for me and told me that it was better if I probably just left it and tried some other time as I was going to end up with sore eyes if I kept going.

Was gutted because I really need them for the aul football.

Was hoping to get contact lenses today. The optician put them in for me, and then he told me to try and take them out and put them in again.

After 30 minutes, I managed to get the right one out with a bit of luck but then after another 10 minutes I was still trying to get the left one out. It wasn't going to come out for me so the optician did it for me and told me that it was better if I probably just left it and tried some other time as I was going to end up with sore eyes if I kept going.

Was gutted because I really need them for the aul football.

Don't worry, nobody just takes to them immediately. He should have let you bring a pair home to try at your leisure. I found it pretty nerve wracking sitting there five mins after first having one in my eye being watched by the optician as i tried to claw it out. Maybe he figured you'd really hurt yourself if you brought some home. Go back again in a week and try again. Having a bad time with your first round doesn't mean you aren't suited to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

pookie82 wrote: »
    Don't worry, nobody just takes to them immediately. He should have let you bring a pair home to try at your leisure. I found it pretty nerve wracking sitting there five mins after first having one in my eye being watched by the optician as i tried to claw it out. Maybe he figured you'd really hurt yourself if you brought some home. Go back again in a week and try again. Having a bad time with your first round doesn't mean you aren't suited to them.

Went back today. After 50 minutes, I managed to get one in and out of my right eye. No luck with the left, though - too damn sensetive.

Still, though, I'm not stopping until I get them.

• Advertisement

Had great 'fun' on Friday evening. I managed to break a contact putting it in so I was left with half a contact in my left eye. Could not get it out but it settled down so I left it in there. Managed to get it out on Saturday afternoon. Not something i'd be quick to repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I fainted the first time the optician tried to put a contact lens in my eye. Not pleasant. It took about a week of putting them in and taking them out myself before i got used to them. You do get used to it, its like anything really, it just takes practice.

On the inside out lenses - mine feel uncomfortable (not painfull) if they are in wrong and i can't see properly. I used to have monthly disposables but i have specsavers daily ones at the moment. They really annoy me though because over half the box have been in the package the wrong way around. Its very annoying!

Method.. ha.

I just pinch my eye.. they come out really easily unless you leave them in like a few days.. like I have done.. then they stick like a mother..

Also, I find if I put them in inside out.. they'r just slightly uncomfortable.. not sore or painful.. and I can still see out them.. so don't worry about this.

IMO, Your optician should not have let you leave without making sure first that you were comfortable with putting them in/taking them out. Maybe you should go back to them, just so you are completely comfortable with the task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I failed miserably at trying to 'sweep' them out in a swift motionm, so now just open my eye real wide (holding it open with my two hands, and squeeze the lid and undereye bit together and it pops out..no eye touching required! Took me a while to get used to putting them in I have to say, but so handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

This is exactly what I do, but I use both upper and lower lids. Simply open my eyelids wide, then put my index finger on the top lid and my thumb on the bottom. I then push the lids closed while also slightly pushing them against the eye, this dislodges the lens easily. Also, it means you are never actually touching your eye at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

I use hard contact lenses, anyone else?

These are easier to put in and out in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

littlebug wrote: »
    re getting lenses out. I use the pinch method. With my fourth finger I pull down my lower eylid and then just pinch the lens out between the middle and index finger. QED but then I've just realised I've been doing it for 21 years :eek: so I guess I've perfected the method...

Re inside out. I have focus dailies and if I put them in inside out my eye starts watering and blinking like crazy. It's very uncomfortable. i can't tell by looking at them.

Re dusty. If there are specks on them I just pop them back in the solution and swirl them around a bit til they look clean.

re getting lenses in Dublin... sorry Haven't a clue:(

Yes, I use the pich method also, if eyes/lense are moist it will make this much easier, move eye around a bit first to generate tears or add a drop of sterile saline solution (can get in opticians) to your eyes.

When putting in lenses, first step is to wash hands, clean lense if it looks dirty with some of the solution it came in or some sterile saline solution by rubbing gently with index finger in the palm of your hand.
    Tip I was told to test inside out issue is by putting lense in crease of hand underneath the fingers and close hand slightly, if it is the right way to fit the curve of your eye when in the eye it will 'smile' at you, if not the edges of the lense fold very flat against each other - I find it is usually harder to get into my eye also if it's turned the wrong way round.
    I usually find that if I have the finger I have the lense balanced on as dry as possible the lense will go in easier.

Also, don't forget to plug or put tissue in the sink hole to prevent losing one down the sink.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

This helps me with my lenses. It mightn't work with all types. Put a fairly dry soft contact lens in the topmost crease of your palm (where indicated in the pic I've tried to upload!) then gently cup your palm slightly folding the lens. If it springs back to it's bowl like shape straight away it's the right way up but if it stays folded over, really slowly comes back into shape or looks a bit misshapen afterwards it's inside out.45058080h2b22.JPG
    I take my lenses out with the pads of my index and middle finger, pinching my eye (well the lens I hope!) almost like I'm doing a 'scissors' motion. Practice is really the main thing that helps with contacts. Just keep messing about and trying different methods of insertion/taking them out until you find a way you're comfortable with and is easy for you. Don't keep going if your eyes get sore though- rest them and try again later! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I never really had a problem taking them out, even from day one. Putting them in however, that used to take half an hour :D

To take them out I generally lift my top lid up with my left hand. I then pull my lower lid down with the three fingers of my right hand. I put my index finger straight onto the lense and move it down and away from the center. I then bring my thumb in to gently pinch it with my index finger and lift it straight off. All one motion, no blinking. You don't even need clean hands because you only touch the lense. Just make sure your nails are nice and short.

As for them being inside out, I asked my optician how I would know. Her first response was "Oh, you'll know. Believe me.". The first time I put one in backwards I couldn't stop blinking, it just feels wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I've had lenses a few years now and would never really be without them. It started off a disaster though, was on monthlys had every sort of trouble, putting them in, takin them out, loosing them, not cleaning them right...you name it I did it.

Decided to switch to dalies after a couple of nasty infections. Massive differance. Not half as much hassle and perfect for chancers like me who would do everything but the right thing as lences are concerned..

One tip for anyone new to putting in lences - we all prob stumble on a way to suit ourselves but whether your puttin in a lence or taking one out always place it on the white of your eye. Put the lense on the tip of your finger, use the mirror to guide your finger to eye. Now look as far to the left as possible, now plop the lense right on the white of your eye in the corner. Don't push the lense onto your eye as it will only stick to your finger, kinda lay it there as if you were passing a baby to someone, nice and gently. Now slowly move your eye back and it should accept the lense and focus after a few seconds. Once you get the hang of it you will be flyin. The same applies for taking it out, look away and flick it to the corner of your eye and get it out.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭CaramelBear

I do it in a very roundabout way. I look up, pull the lens down with my finger, it sort of folds over my lower eyelid afte which I slip it out, pinch it even.

I don't/didn't like pinching it out of my eyes, even though that's what my optician advised. <.<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

I just got contacts to try out. Couldn't get them in at the optician so gonna try at home. Think I will get them in at home no problem, but I'm just really worried about getting them out. Can people tell me the methods that work for them please? Was thinking of wetting the tip of my finger with solution then tilting my head downwards a bit and just try and get the lens to stick to the finger by touching my eye gently. Would this be a good method to try?

i just grab the edge and they usually pop out

Advertisement