Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the most common engine on Irish roads?

Options
  • 06-07-2008 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking VAG 1.9 TDI?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd reckon the VAG 1.4 unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

4A Toyota engine

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Volvoboy wrote: »
    4A Toyota engine

meaning the family of 4 cylinder Toyota engines? I was being more specific.

I'd say there are far more 1.9TDI engines than VW 1.4 petrol, as these engines were used since the early 90's, and covered VW, SEAT, Skoda and Audi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm thinking there's more variations of the 1.9 TDI though so not technically the "same" engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    meaning the family of 4 cylinder Toyota engines? I was being more specific.

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Focus has been the best selling car for 9 years here, and the best selling Focus by far is the 1.4, which is exactly the same engine found in the Mk1 Focus in 1998. It might have been re-named to Duratec when the Mk2 came along instead of Zetec in the Mk1 and got a 5 bhp power boost, but don't be fooled: it is otherwise identical.

This engine is also found in the Mk5,Mk6, and Mk7 Fiesta 1.4, as well as the old Mazda2.

VAG's 1.9 TDI probably eclipses it though, since practically every VAG car between 1993 and today was available with that engine at one stage or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

E92 wrote: »
    The Focus has been the best selling car for 9 years here, and the best selling Focus by far is the 1.4, which is exactly the same engine found in the Mk1 Focus in 1998. It might have been re-named to Duratec when the Mk2 came along instead of Zetec in the Mk1 and got a 5 bhp power boost, but don't be fooled: it is otherwise identical.

This engine is also found in the Mk5,Mk6, and Mk7 Fiesta 1.4, as well as the old Mazda2.

Jesus Christ E92, you amaze me, you really do:)...

I'll plump for the VAG 1.9 tractor engine. When you see this engine in an Audi you know the owner is more interested in badge-snobbery than refinement, comfort or performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    The Focus has been the best selling car for 9 years here, and the best selling Focus by far is the 1.4,
    It's actually the Corolla/Auris, but they're considered two different cars.

Advertisement