Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boost eircom netopia signal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

You can try wireless repeater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

where would i get one of them ? would komplett or dabs have them

could i just bin the netopia router and buy a better one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

similar thread on what you're asking clicky you have a few options, 1 a wireless repeater, 2 better quality antennas, 3 a new router (probalby won't solve the range problem though). what model netopia have you?

• Advertisement

A wireless repeater is a device the receives existing wireless signal from an existing wireless router, and boosts/repeats it back out again, hence extends the range of your home network. No physicall connections would be required, except mains power Here is one from http://cgi.ebay.com/Hawking-HWUR54G-Wireless-Network-Extender-Repeater_W0QQitemZ140245500622QQihZ004QQcategoryZ86721QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

conjamuk wrote: »
    A wireless repeater is a device the receives existing wireless signal from an existing wireless router, and boosts/repeats it back out again, hence extends the range of your home network. No physicall connections would be required, except mains power Here is one from http://cgi.ebay.com/Hawking-HWUR54G-Wireless-Network-Extender-Repeater_W0QQitemZ140245500622QQihZ004QQcategoryZ86721QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks, though that one requires you connect the extender to the router with an ethernet cable

Yeah the reviews on Dabs say its good. :)

I ordered two of these http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=3Z8F it's the same as the kit but 15 yoyos cheaper, i shall let you know how I get on , thanks for the help

• Advertisement

Well they arrived today, wasn't what I expected , I thought it worked by wireless, however you plug one unit into a wall socked and connect it to your router with an Ethernet cable, then you plug another unit into a socket by your PC and connect it to your PC with an Ethernet cable, so effectively your PC is plugged right into your router via the wiring of the house, it works really well and I am using it now. I'm getting 20 meg NTL on Wednesday so the problems with wireless signals should be a thing of the past and I'll probably be selling these on on adverts so if you are having trouble with poor signals you might like to pick these up at a reduced price of course :). Only thing to consider is is there a free socket close to your router and would the Ethernet cable run from the router to the socket without causing a nuisance. Also the units themselves are pretty fat so you might have difficulty plugging it into a socket if there is something plugged in right beside it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

MooseJam wrote: »
    Well they arrived today, wasn't what I expected , I thought it worked by wireless, however you plug one unit into a wall socked and connect it to your router with an Ethernet cable, then you plug another unit into a socket by your PC and connect it to your PC with an Ethernet cable, so effectively your PC is plugged right into your router via the wiring of the house, it works really well and I am using it now. I'm getting 20 meg NTL on Wednesday so the problems with wireless signals should be a thing of the past and I'll probably be selling these on on adverts so if you are having trouble with poor signals you might like to pick these up at a reduced price of course :). Only thing to consider is is there a free socket close to your router and would the Ethernet cable run from the router to the socket without causing a nuisance. Also the units themselves are pretty fat so you might have difficulty plugging it into a socket if there is something plugged in right beside it .
    Maybe I'm wrong but I think that product you bought can only support up to 14Mbps and you want to get a 20Mbps connection? Its name is "NetGear 14 Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet Bridge"
    From-http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=3Z8F

thanks for pointing that out lol, I might still use it with the 20 meg connection because it works so good, no arsing about with crappy wireless signals, will see what the craic is with the ntl router if it has a good signal, if it does I'll sell these off

Advertisement