Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parenting Forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

It's time to put the toys back in the pram kiddies, you are showing bad example to the children.

Hissy fits seem to be the way forward.

And post reporting.

As for the Alps commentary, have you ever walked the Alps? Those 30 meter crevasses and all? Blizzards and sunburn on the menu there. To think of what my kids escaped after 30 years living there. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oh ffs..

The thread was not started just to vent!!

It was started by an overprotective mother bitching and whining like a child herself blaming other people for ''allowing'' her child to ''fry''..

All that was pointed out was that she was over reacting to which some people, namely the **** stirrers in this thread who are supposed to be the ''mature parent's'', argued about.

I'm not a troll, but i'll say what's on my mind and i won't ****ing sugarcoat it for anyone. The OP in that thread was ranting about something that at the end of the day was HER RESPONSABILITY. But like a lot of parents these days she immediately shifted the blame onto someone else.

Fair enough, sometimes i'm a little aggressive/sarcastic/damn right hilarious in what i say, but however way i express my point of view, the point of view remains the same and valid.

If anything, saying you have no idea what you're talking about just because you have no kids is being a troll. As it's completely ludicrous!!

Now, i don't know about anyone else, but i forgot about the thread as soon as it was locked and moved on with my life, in fact i don't even remember half the **** posted, and i really don't care.

Opinions vary, get over yourselves. You parents are hardly setting the bar for maturity levels here.

Oh, and Quality, you talk an awful lot of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The original point of this thread (the one here in feedback not the thread which caused the agro) was to point out the lack of mods in the parenting forum. There is one active mod. This is not enough for a forum where, by the subject matters emotional nature, it is very easy to descend into bitching.

I simply think it is time to appoint new mods there or at least examine the possibility. If there had been a mod around earlier in the day, a friendly warning to calm down would have avoided all this. Obviously Thaed won't be around always to do this. But the other mods seem to be missing in action.

This thread has gone way off topic and is now discussing the original threads points...drop it people or get your own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ludo wrote: »
    The original point of this thread (the one here in feedback not the thread which caused the agro) was to point out the lack of mods in the parenting forum. There is one active mod. This is not enough for a forum where, by the subject matters emotional nature, it is very easy to descend into bitching.

I simply think it is time to appoint new mods there or at least examine the possibility. If there had been a mod around earlier in the day, a friendly warning to calm down would have avoided all this. Obviously Thaed won't be around always to do this. But the other mods seem to be missing in action.

This thread has gone way off topic and is now discussing the original threads points...drop it people or get your own thread.

Auditioning for the role I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Copying this here on the suggestion of a mod from the Parenting forum:

Is it just me, or has the parenting forum gone to complete sh*t in the last few weeks? The amount of trolling and pointless arguing is gone mad. People can't seem to just give their opinion on something without being rude and insulting.

Some people need to learn some basic manners. Just because you are posting on an anonymous forum is no excuse for ignorance.

Mods need to step up here or this forum will be a waste of space. In fact, of the four mods on this forum, there is only one I have seen on here recently that I know of. Are the others gone inactive?

@ Everyone:

In relation to Ludo's original post - It is not that the "Mods need to step up here" in Parenting, rather that the posters (on both sides of that argument) need to:
    (a) Read the charter & understand it
    (b) Be a damn sight more civil to each other
    (c) Use the Report Post function if necessary
    (d) Follow the mod's guidance when given
    (e) Take a fcuking chill pill

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

Auditioning for the role I see.

Nope...not at all. Just want to see the forum monitored a bit more and also don't want the point of this thread to be lost in the clutter of the original discussion being rehashed here.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thaedydal wrote: »
    :p

You can to a point saying they didn't instill good manners in their off spring but there comes a point where adults should cop on and learn good manners for their own sake.

I do at least hope that some of the parents who post in the forum who have Netiquette pass such things on to their offspring.

yes, that was rather my point. Sorry if I was being obtuse but I think a lot of people here should consider how they would like THEIR children to respond and set that example, because it would be a hellova step up.

So, I've read every boring word of this non event....

1. Thead, if the other mods of Parenting arent around, let us know and we'll see if we cant find some new ones.

2. Your darling children didnt die from anything. My parents are fantastic and I got sunburned all the time. I dont need therapy. (Ok, well, not for that anyway!)

3. Ntl et al, you're funny, we get that. The OP is a bit of a ranter who is easy to wind up about her precious, we get that too. Can we leave it at that and use the forum for its intended purpose?

Oh and by the way, I would do a much better job then 99% of parents imho and *I* dont have kids. Except for you lot, obv. The advice is either good or bad, the number of kids the person has is fairly irrelevant.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

But beware your trolling pattern has been noted.

I don't like you or your posting/trolling style.

Oh the joy of sexual harrashement in feedback so you are admitting that you are troll stalking the forums I post in, first PI then parrots normal and now parenting ?

You're becoming like dudess "trolling pattern"

As I've said many times, yes I engage in a small bit of trolling every now and then as most do! but a huge amount of my post's are valid and are not intended as trolls, including the ones one in the original thread.

Stalking you? stalking quality? stalking dudess?

I'm a busy guy! and tbh none of you are that lucky or interesting enough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well then why do you constantly target us for your smart-assed, personal comments?
    And you admit you indulge in a bit of trolling now and then? Actually most people don't.
    Quality wrote: »
    "Bubblewrap" FFS
    I thought that was disgusting.

The aggression on that thread was astounding.

Dudess wrote: »
    Well then why do you constantly target us for your smart-assed, personal comments?
    And you admit you indulge in a bit of trolling now and then? Actually most people don't.

I thought that was disgusting.

The aggression on that thread was astounding.

I don't constantly target you, I hadn't said a word to thaed in the thread.

I don't usually say anything to you, you comment on my threads that's YOU ENGAGDING ME see the difference?

And quality, well she's just all over the place...hard to avoid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ntlbell wrote: »
    You're becoming like dudess "trolling pattern"

Sorry was that meant to be some sort of an insult ?
    As I've said many times, yes I engage in a small bit of trolling every now and then as most do! but a huge amount of my post's are valid and are not intended as trolls, including the ones one in the original thread.

You post in such away to rile up posters that is trolling whether you can face up to it or not and it is consistent across a heap of forums, some where there are stricter limits then others.

Stalking you? stalking quality? stalking dudess?
    I'm a busy guy! and tbh none of you are that lucky or interesting
    enough..

Good then I am sure I will look forward to not reading any posts of yours in reply to mind cos your sooo busy.

You post in such away to rile up posters that is trolling whether you can face up to it or not and it is consistent across a heap of forums, some where there are stricter limits then others.

Good then I am sure I will look forward to not reading any posts of yours in reply to mind cos your sooo busy.

The intention is not to rile people up, a troll who is someone who intentionally tries to rile up posters by posting somethig knowing he will get a reaction.

I just seem to do it naturallly but 90% of the time; to troll or rile up is never my intention.

by busy I meant I'm busy as I have the three of you to stalk so obviously you won't get as much attention as your used to as I'm split 3 ways now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Oh ffs..

The thread was not started just to vent!!

It was started by an overprotective mother bitching and whining like a child herself blaming other people for ''allowing'' her child to ''fry''..

All that was pointed out was that she was over reacting to which some people, namely the **** stirrers in this thread who are supposed to be the ''mature parent's'', argued about.

I'm not a troll, but i'll say what's on my mind and i won't ****ing sugarcoat it for anyone. The OP in that thread was ranting about something that at the end of the day was HER RESPONSABILITY. But like a lot of parents these days she immediately shifted the blame onto someone else.

Fair enough, sometimes i'm a little aggressive/sarcastic/damn right hilarious in what i say, but however way i express my point of view, the point of view remains the same and valid.

If anything, saying you have no idea what you're talking about just because you have no kids is being a troll. As it's completely ludicrous!!

Now, i don't know about anyone else, but i forgot about the thread as soon as it was locked and moved on with my life, in fact i don't even remember half the **** posted, and i really don't care.

Opinions vary, get over yourselves. You parents are hardly setting the bar for maturity levels here.

Oh, and Quality, you talk an awful lot of ****e.

Post reported

The intention is not to rile people up, a troll who is someone who intentionally tries to rile up posters by posting somethig knowing he will get a reaction.

I just seem to do it naturallly but 90% of the time; to troll or rile up is never my intention.

Well then I suggest that you have a look at your posting style as it does not seem to be serving you if 90% of your posts are being misconstrued by so many it's time to look at making changes.
    by busy I meant I'm busy as I have the three of you to stalk so obviously you won't get as much attention as your used to as I'm split 3 ways now

Oh I don't think you are that deranged that you are stalking me with that much intent, your a pain but hardly the type of sicko which usually stalks me.
    ( yes nerin that is directed at you ) and I am sure I will for get you exist again fairly shortly, so much so I may forget to unban you when the week is up so don't for get to pm in a civil fashion when the week is up.

I don't constantly target you, I hadn't said a word to thaed in the thread.

I don't usually say anything to you, you comment on my threads that's YOU ENGAGDING ME see the difference?

And quality, well she's just all over the place...hard to avoid

Post reported

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

DeVore wrote: »

2. Your darling children didnt die from anything. My parents are fantastic and I got sunburned all the time. I dont need therapy. (Ok, well, not for that anyway!)

3. Ntl et al, you're funny, we get that. The OP is a bit of a ranter who is easy to wind up about her precious, we get that too. Can we leave it at that and use the forum for its intended purpose?

Oh and by the way, I would do a much better job then 99% of parents imho and *I* dont have kids. Except for you lot, obv. The advice is either good or bad, the number of kids the person has is fairly irrelevant.

DeV.

I don't think I would be generally considered a ranter? And most decent parents are probably fairly easy to wind up about their "Precious". Is the Parenting Forum the place to expect it though, this is my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Oh and by the way, I would do a much better job then 99% of parents imho and *I* dont have kids..

Has anyone ever seen that statistic where 90% of people think they have a better sense of humour than average?

That reminded me of it :p

A troll is a troll is a troll. So I suppose it doesnt matter whether they have kids or not. From now on, If in doubt I will report.

And DeV, when the time comes... Best of luck with the parenting.:)

Quality what is trolling differs from forum to forum and in the case of the parenting forum when your access is restored report them and do not engage.

In fairness, as I have already said, parenting can be a very emotional topic. If someone insults you it is very easy to over react and to respond to defend yourself. This is why moderating is crucial in this kind of a forum. If someone criticised my parenting abilities in a sarcastic/insulting/trolling manner, I would respond and most others would also.

I know we should just report it and not reply but when emotions run high, this won't always happen and some common sense should be applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In fairness, as I have already said, parenting can be a very emotional topic. If someone insults you it is very easy to over react and to respond to defend yourself. This is why moderating is crucial in this kind of a forum. If someone criticised my parenting abilities in a sarcastic/insulting/trolling manner, I would respond and most others would also.

I know we should just report it and not reply but when emotions run high, this won't always happen and some common sense should be applied.

How do you parent your children if you can't even keep a cool head on t'internet ?

The day will come when the one questioning your parenting abilities in a sarcastic/insulting/trolling manner will be your own child :D

peasant wrote: »
    How do you parent your children if you can't even keep a cool head on t'internet ?

Completely different to keeping a cool head in "reality" as opposed to on an internet discussion board. And in fact as someone else pointed out...if someone said some of those things in person, they would get a pretty harsh response..same as they did on the thread.
    peasant wrote: »
    The day will come when the one questioning your parenting abilities in a sarcastic/insulting/trolling manner will be your own child :D

True...:D

Also...out of curiosity I checked out two of the mods on the parenting forum:
    One of them hasn't posted in the forum since 26-11-2007 and then other one hasnt posted since 16-03-2008. Looks like they have lost interest in the forum.

Also...out of curiosity I checked out two of the mods on the parenting forum:
    One of them hasn't posted in the forum since 26-11-2007 and then other one hasnt posted since 16-03-2008. Looks like they have lost interest in the forum.

Not necessarily. Just because they don't post doesn't mean they aren't lurking and reading.

Quality wrote: »
    A troll is a troll is a troll. So I suppose it doesnt matter whether they have kids or not. From now on, If in doubt I will report.

And DeV, when the time comes... Best of luck with the parenting.:)

You have a lot to learn my dear

*pat pat*

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Just because they don't post doesn't mean they aren't lurking and reading.

Quite possibly. That is why I asked at the start of this thread if they had gone inactive. The fact none of them have contributed to the three threads about the parenting forum in the feedback area now leads me to believe I am correct though.

Quite possibly. That is why I said at the start of this thread that I may be wrong about this and please correct me if I am. The fact none of them have contributed to the three threads about the parenting forum in the feedback area now leads me to believe I am correct though.

The thread started 16 hours ago. People (not me) have real lives and aren't online at the bec and call of every thread. I'm in no doubt that they have been/will be notified by their co-mods.

yep...fair enough. Just seemed odd to me that mods are not involved in a forum for over 3 months in one case and nearly 8 months in another case.

Don't want an argument over it (there is enough of that going around) just raising an issue as I saw it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Please don't let Parenting turn into Rollercoaster where only certain types of view are accepted and the mammies back each other up about every blessed little thing.

Parenting is a good place to find info - not jusy kiddies sniffles info but stuff like travel requirements, names of suppliers and other practical types of information.

There is a need for serious discussion/query and not just a place where everybody says "there, there those were naughty people / other kids / Tesco". However there isn't a need for trolling and downright offensiveness.

Let's face it - some parents are very protective, some are laissez-faire, some think that everything that happens to them or their child is part of a grand plan to pester them and some possibly don't stand up for their rights.

The forum is Parenting and its a microcosm of the World wherein everyone has different views and beliefs. If folk can't be civil even when disagreeing then maybe they should refrain from posting.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You have a lot to learn my dear

*pat pat*
    Thats exactly the sort of post we dont need NTL.... I hope you were being ironic.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly the sort of post we dont need NTL.... I hope you were being ironic.

DeV.

Ironing it was Dev.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement