Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street trading

• 06-07-2008 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

Its that time of the year when every spud/strawberry grower in the country is flogging their wares at the side of the road!

But do they need a permit for it? Can my missus just go about selling her delicious food out of a trailer/stand as well?????! Or in the Waterford Market (if it's still running).

Anyone know the law on street trading??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

There's casual laws in certain areas at certain times. The Applemarket, and I think (maybe) there's one in that old chapel grounds behind BPM? I guess that means anyone can put up and trade.. Imagine you'd still need some sort of license though, for identification..

Haven't a clue what the laws are for everywhere else, anyone know? We could all set up stalls in the morrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is market on Saturday morning on Georges Street and/or in Jenkins Lane car park I belive.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

From what i remember there are some kind of local bye-laws that govern street trading in certain areas, like Dungarvan years ago would have the "hawkers" on some day every month. At one stage they tried moving them from the square but the council had to provide alternate trading space for them, so they moved them to the new car park on the quay. Yet a few months ago i was up there and noticed one of those french markets set up in the square with a part of it cordoned off for them.
    Similarly in New Ross they are allowed to use the quay. I'm guessing that those types of stalls are aware of the bye laws and go to various towns on the days they are allowed, as opposed to the 35 year old caravans with the badly painted strawberries on the side that pop up every road you travel on with the obligatory child plugged in to an ipod in front of it.:)

Advertisement