Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

humane mouse trap. any recommendations?

Options
  • 06-07-2008 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

i had a mouse, and tried a number of humane mouse traps to catch the bugger but after 3 days, no luck. 20 mins with a standard break the little fellas neck trap, and i had him, but i hated killing him.

has anyone any recommendations on tried and trusted humane traps that allow me to let the critter go a few miles down the road in the countryside?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

There is ultra sonic repelant plug in systems that you can by in most pet shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 beautythebp

BAIT THE TRAP WITH PEANUT BUTTER. IT WORKS EVERY TIME.

BEAUTYTHEBP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There is a humane one that uses the weight of the mouse to see-saw it, when it tilts the trap door shuts. You can get them in Woodies, they are made by rentokill uk. They are called Live Capture Mouse Trap. They work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

BAIT THE TRAP WITH PEANUT BUTTER. IT WORKS EVERY TIME.

BEAUTYTHEBP
    Your CAPS is on
    lightening wrote: »
    There is a humane one that uses the weight of the mouse to see-saw it, when it tilts the trap door shuts. You can get them in Woodies, they are made by rentokill uk. They are called Live Capture Mouse Trap. They work.
    +1 Then just bring the little fellow to a park and release him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Thelma E

peanut is very effective in luring a mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are standard ones you can get in the hardware shop, they usually work first time but depending on the mouse sometimes it can take two or three goes. Peanut butter is deffo one of the best. But make sure the trap is checked very regularly. We have caught many this way but one died in the trap from stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I usually chase them into a small room and then make them run into a shopping bag, then I lock the cat up and take the mouse down the garden and let him go....

Catching about 1 ever week with this technique....very humain...

i'd love to kill the ****ing cat...the murdering bastard...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

...take the mouse down the garden and let him go....

Catching about 1 ever week with this technique....very humain...

:D Could it be the same one every time?? :P
    I'd be worried if I was catching a mouse in the house every week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

lightening wrote: »

I caught two mice in one of those traps a number of years back. Worked like a treat.
    My sister had a mouse in her place a few months back and I loaned her the trap and she caught nothing, but her bf came along with one of the old style "neck-breakers" and caught the mouse within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Sorry for my bad English, but let me share you the way we used to catch mice when I was a child.

Get an old tray. Get half a walnut (with the shell on.). Get a small but heavy plant pot (the ceramic type). Make sure there is no hole on the bottom of the pot. On the tray prop up the pot upside down with the halved walnut under the brim (the edible part of the walnut is turned towards the inside of the pot). As the mouse start chewing on the walnut, it will move inward, and the pot will trap the mouse. Pick up the whole thing - tray, pot, walnut+mouse - and release the little bugger into the wild.

I consider it quite a humane solution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spoof

Despite having every cat in the area under my garden shed for years, this year the mice moved in house 8 by the time I caught them, tried new the electric noise thing but unless you have one in every socket there useless mice can move fast.I dont like posion. So I got out the old spring snap traps they ate chesse and meat of those traps for a long time. Then I hit on raw fat of rasher they loved it. Still no kill I decided the traps were badly desingned so I added a cardboard platform so no matter how the mouse approced the trap they set it off killed in an instance blow to the skull no struggling death as they do when caught in the normal way. PS if some one is trying to sell you a platform mousetrap next week for 15 quid cut a piece of cardboard.

Possum66 wrote: »
    Sorry for my bad English, but let me share you the way we used to catch mice when I was a child.

I consider it quite a humane solution.

The trouble with that line of thought is they end up in some other house,but thats not youre problem then is it.

:D Could it be the same one every time?? :P
    I'd be worried if I was catching a mouse in the house every week! :D

NO there is two of bugger looking at rabbits somewhere

Advertisement