Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diploma in Arbitration

• 06-07-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing the postgraduate diploma in arbitration at UCD. Is this a worthwhile course?

Would it be beneficial on the CV when applying for the apprenticeship?

Any opinions from past students and practitioners appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

From what I know of the course, I think it is well regarded and had even considered it myself at one point (when I thought (wrongly) that LLM's, New York bar exams, Diploma's, etc make a huge difference to securing traineeships). My tuppence worth is that legal postgrad should only be done if you have an interest in pursuing it for its own sake and not as a means of securing traineeships. Of course, I don't think it does any harm, but it doesn't tend to have any massively beneficial effects on career prospects and in my opinion your time could be better spent in something more beneficial to your career.The practise of law really is quite practical and if it is a traineeship you want, my advice would be to focus on getting a job (any job) in a solicitor's office rather than postgrad. Or possibly try get some work experience with FLAC or the Legal Aid Board or indeed any of the numerous other similar groups.

Because at a certain point practical experience is valued far more than academic i.e. Once somebody has a) got a degree and b) passed the FE-1's firms more or less tend to see that as sufficient evidence of intelliegence/capability. Of course, if you have a post grad degree from Oxford or Cambridge or something equally impressive then great, but if not, then it probably is only going to be as important as the colour of tie you wear to your interview!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

dats_right wrote: »
    The practise of law really is quite practical and if it is a traineeship you want, my advice would be to focus on getting a job (any job) in a solicitor's office rather than postgrad. Or possibly try get some work experience with FLAC or the Legal Aid Board or indeed any of the numerous other similar groups.

Thanks for replying.

I am currently looking for work in a solicitor's office, but it's quite difficult to obtain worthwhile legal experience. In fact, a lot of job advertisements specifically state that they do not want FE1 students or those that have passed the FE1 exams.

In any event, I intend to study for the diploma and work at the same time- the diploma course is only part-time, so I would still be able to work in a solicitor's office during the day.

Also, I thought FLAC and the legal aid board only had roles for practising solicitors/barristers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

dats_right wrote: »
    From what I know of the course, I think it is well regarded and had even considered it myself at one point (when I thought (wrongly) that LLM's, New York bar exams, Diploma's, etc make a huge difference to securing traineeships). My tuppence worth is that legal postgrad should only be done if you have an interest in pursuing it for its own sake and not as a means of securing traineeships. Of course, I don't think it does any harm, but it doesn't tend to have any massively beneficial effects on career prospects and in my opinion your time could be better spent in something more beneficial to your career.The practise of law really is quite practical and if it is a traineeship you want, my advice would be to focus on getting a job (any job) in a solicitor's office rather than postgrad. Or possibly try get some work experience with FLAC or the Legal Aid Board or indeed any of the numerous other similar groups.

Because at a certain point practical experience is valued far more than academic i.e. Once somebody has a) got a degree and b) passed the FE-1's firms more or less tend to see that as sufficient evidence of intelliegence/capability. Of course, if you have a post grad degree from Oxford or Cambridge or something equally impressive then great, but if not, then it probably is only going to be as important as the colour of tie you wear to your interview!:D

But of course, a huge number of cases settle so it's worth having a strong basis of negotiation and how to interact with people. Two huge skills that are far too over-looked by college and blackhall. Perhaps that Diploma would add those skills, perhaps not, but they are worth developing.

OP, I don't think it would help you find a training contract, but I think it would be interesting as an end to itself and possibly to branch off into later in your career.

But of course, a huge number of cases settle so it's worth having a strong basis of negotiation and how to interact with people. Two huge skills that are far too over-looked by college and blackhall. Perhaps that Diploma would add those skills, perhaps not, but they are worth developing.

OP, I don't think it would help you find a training contract, but I think it would be interesting as an end to itself and possibly to branch off into later in your career.

I was hoping that the diploma might improve negotiation skills, and I think that it may be an interesting area to pursue later in my career. I know it's not going to give me an apprenticeship, but I was hoping that the arb diploma is a worthwhile qualification to pursue.

However, having said that, I know a few people that are doing the LLM in UCD, and one person in particular who swears the LLM qualification was the difference in securing a training contract. I'm not as naive, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should be doing the LLM instead because the cost of the arbitration diploma has increased for next year (up to 5,000), and the LLM is only 8,000 for a full-time course. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The Commercial Masters is well thought of afaik. It would be more likely to help you than the arbitration one.

• Advertisement

The Commercial Masters is well thought of afaik. It would be more likely to help you than the arbitration one.

Which would you recommend:

(1) Working in a solicitor's office + (part-time) arbitration diploma...

Or

(2) Full-time study of LLM Commercial Law?

Advertisement