Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant - How is it Means Tested.

Options
  • 06-07-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Can someone explain to me how this works.

My mother says I won't be qualified but they can't really afford to put me through college either.

I'm 24 btw and will be means tested as I am seen as a Mature Dependant Student. Is this correct?

I was told the limit last year was €38,000.

Now my dad earns about €40,000 and my Mam is on Social Welfare so about €10,000.

I will have earned about €6000.

Is the total amount then €56,000 or will they have taken into account the fact that my parents will have had to pay out on bills and food and other general expenses.

Any idea if I will get the grant or how it works?

I am counting on this grant to be able to go to college.

I will be going down in Galway and am from Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

There are a few other factors that need to be taken into consideration. Are you the only 'dependant'? Do either parent/guardian intend pursuing fulltime education also? etc.

If you go to www.studentfinance.ie , go into the 'maintenance grant' section and you can 'Check Reckonable Income Bands'. Answer the questions it presents and you'll eventually get a table with full income bands. There are 6 levels of maintenance grant with the 38k figure being an upper limit in one level only.
    For dependent applicants, the reckonable income to be assessed will be that of the applicant (if any) and of the applicant's parent(s) or guardian(s). An allowance is made for applicant earnings (for example from part-time work) of up to €3,809 currently. Parental divorce or certifiable separation is taken into consideration by the grant-awarding agencies. For independent mature applications, the reckonable income to be assessed will be that of the applicant and his/her spouse (if applicable).

Advertisement