Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I lost one of my dobies!

Options
  • 06-07-2008 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Decided to give my dogs a new treat today - a trip to Glenbeigh beach where they had never been before. For those that don't know this is a huge beach area with both a back beach and sea front beach with huge areas of sand dunes in between.

All was well and my dobies were loving it when my female dobie became so excited she broke her lead and went off on a sight seeing tour. She soon got lost and instead of heading back from where she had come she seemed to think she had to go the opposite way.

Thankfully she had her collar with my tel numbers on it and I soon had calls from people who seen her but would only take the number and let her go again.

After searching for about an hour and a half I eventually found her thanks to a Polish guy who drove ahead of me in his jeep almost 4km to where she was.

When I found her she was all wet. I fear she may have attempted to swim to where she thought she should go.

She is a little traumitised over the experience and is now snuggled up in her kennel. I am not much better myself either - time for a nice night in with a chineese and a gangster video.

Its a really shocking experience to loose your dog and I was blaming myself for bringing them to an unfamiliar beach as they know their other walking areas fairly well and always head for the jeep as the default option if all else fails.

Its my last time going to that beach - its just too vast if they get lost. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Jeasras... glad you got her back ! Was expecting another sad story there. Good to hear there's people out there that are willing to help too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

poor little creature.

You're so lucky that people actually care enough to ring you , and locate the dog for you.

well done Joe Public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Glenbeigh is great, hopefully the next time there won't be so much drama though! glad you got her back! and congrats to the people that tried to help. would an extendable lead be an option so she could run ahead a bit? my flexi 3 is very strong. maybe you could teach her recall as well so you could let her go loose? she sounds like she likes her freedom anyway lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

Sounds horrific! I suggest a stronger lead and collar instead of never taking them to the beach again! o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Jez when i saw the thread title i thought you had lost one in a completly different way thank god thats not the case cause i know how much you care for them dobies. Hope you all enjoyed the video not sure about giving a dog a chineese :P

Glad their all ok now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Its a relief to know that people will actually read the collar tags and take the time to phone alright.
    Problem with my dobies is that many would be too afraid to approach them and my female dobie is very shy even with regular visitors to the house so is not the type of dog that would run up to strangers.
    Many tried to guide her back to the main area but she would turn back after following them for a while. She had ran to the furthest and most remote part of the beach for some reason.

I think what confused her sense of direction was the back beach and seafront beach. She was completely puzzled as she has only ever experienced one long beach.

I got my thank you from her for finding her this morning as she ran up to me tail wagging etc - a first. She is usually very reserved about showing emotions and in general is not a good 'morning person' dog.

Yes I would be devastated to loose her in such silly circumstances. Even my other dobie was crying in the back of the jeep as we searched over and back on the beach many times.

Thanks for the nice comments - must go and wash my jeep now as its covered in muck after yesterday. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What a relief! Dobies are beautiful dogs but people can be nervous of them they get a bad rap like GSDs used to (sometimes still do) which is a shame. They're a really lovely dog. Great you got her back, hopefully anyone who hasn't got a tag on their dog will see this and get one. Our previous dog went missing for 11 days after days of walking in the woods she found a pathway and followed someone home. With posters, radio and a person putting two and two together we got her back. Never forget it though it was the worst thing that ever happened to us awful feeling.

Advertisement