Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Parenting Forum

Options
  • 06-07-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

I was banned from the Parenting Forum for a week. I don't agree with this. (Surprisingly enough.)

Thead has asked me to take it to Feedback, so may I jump aboard your thread Ludo?

EDIT: New thread started as per Theadydals request.

That was a nasty, troll-filled thread, and in my opinion would put alot of parents off posting in Parenting. I have looked and I can't see where I broke the charter, except by perhaps not reporting enough threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329029
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

sueme wrote: »
    I was banned from the Parenting Forum for a week. I don't agree with this. (Surprisingly enough.)

Thead has asked me to take it to Feedback, so may I jump aboard your thread Ludo?

EDIT: New thread started as per Theadydals request.

That was a nasty, troll-filled thread, and in my opinion would put alot of parents off posting in Parenting. I have looked and I can't see where I broke the charter, except by perhaps not reporting enough threads.

calling someone a troll for a start, personal abuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you have an issue with a post you are ment to report it not respond to it with futher inflamatory posts which were personally abusive and derailing the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The only thing I will say is, try to ignore posters you think are trolls and just report them. Instead you started arguing in your own thread and I think you even posted 'in before the lock' which made me smile.

Sherifu wrote: »
    I think you even posted 'in before the lock' which made me smile.

Yup funny, but more deraling off topic another breach, how many do you want to be pointed out before you're happy with the ban

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you have an issue with a post you are ment to report it not respond to it with futher inflamatory posts which were personally abusive and derailing the thread.

Perhaps I'm wrong, or terribly insensitive but I don't believe I was personally abusive towards anyone. I did report a post and the thread as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

There was an awful lot of trolling on that thread, and frankly I'm shocked by the amount of backbiting still going on against and for your case here in feedback.

You should not have derailed the thread with personal attacks, I can see no administrative issue with the ban, it was issued according to the charter, a common rule throughout most of the forums here. Thaedydal was right to ban.

The only thing I will say is, try to ignore posters you think are trolls and just report them.
    I did try to ignore them when the trolling became obvious, and I did report it.
    Instead you started arguing in your own thread and I think you even posted 'in before the lock' which made me smile.

Arguing or debating? I felt I was debating.
    "In before the lock"... well once it had a Feedback thread of its own, I figured it was just a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Thaedydal, If you felt I was personally abusive, which you obviously would considering you deleted my posts because you took the high ground and lectured everybody on the child protection act. Could you please explain to everyone what right you have to inform everyone about an act that doesn't exist. There are guidelines that state child protection but these are only guidlines and they were not relevant to the thread and if you find one that has a rule that supports your view,please post it here. I attacked your errouneous post. I did not attack another poster.

I hope you did not ban Sueme because of me. She merely told me not to challenge your knowledge of the law.

Perhaps I'm wrong, or terribly insensitive but I don't believe I was personally abusive towards anyone. I did report a post and the thread as a whole.

Ok lets have a look at your posts in that thread.
    ...and you don't need to look under a bridge to find a troll.
    Lord above this is all very silly. If it was my daughter, I'd tell her to grow up.
    I read your posts as trolling, others read your posts as trolling, and the mod of this forum read your posts as trolling.

I shall not comment to your posts on this thread anymore as there are warnings about that type of thing.
    *waves to the Feedbackers*

ibtl
    This is the second time I've asked you to stop with the personal abuse.
    I'm afraid there is only one response to that: :rolleyes:

In hindsight maybe I should have given you a month.

pirelli get you own I was banned thread and I will deal with you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I did try to ignore them when the trolling became obvious, and I did report it.

Arguing or debating? I felt I was debating.
    "In before the lock"... well once it had a Feedback thread of its own, I figured it was just a matter of time.
    You should have stayed out of it tbh. Thaed has done the work of picking out the relevant posts above. The thread became a mess and you are partly to blame.

In hindsight maybe I should have given you a month.

Well, if thats the worst I came up with and is considered enough for a banning, then I think its fairly lame. God knows I could have said a lot more, but thought I was doing well keeping pretty reasonable in the face of a lot of personal abuse.

As I said before, I don't think its doing the image of the Parenting Forum any good, but hey, what's it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

There was an awful lot of trolling on that thread, and frankly I'm shocked by the amount of backbiting still going on against and for your case here in feedback.

You should not have derailed the thread with personal attacks, I can see no administrative issue with the ban, it was issued according to the charter, a common rule throughout most of the forums here. Thaedydal was right to ban.

Thaedydal was not right to ban everyone and I imagine Thaedydal is desperately searching for a irish statute child protection act and cant find one. The charter is just something some people hide behind as if they own it exclusively. I think Thaedydals posts about a child protection act are more serious infringments of the charter and highlight how her opinions could seriously hurt and offend all people who use that forum, and that Thaedydal derailed the thread.

May I draw your attention to the Children Act, 2001, the Child Care Act, 1991 and related Acts

Although your banning seems harsh to me

Hey. GET OUTTA MY THREAD. He's got his own now. :D

Apologies, have copied to there. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

pirelli wrote: »
    Thaedydal was not right to ban everyone and I imagine Thaedydal is desperately searching for a irish statute child protection act and cant find one. The charter is just something some people hide behind as if they own it exclusively. I think Thaedydals posts about a child protection act are more serious infringments of the charter and highlight how her opinions could seriously hurt and offend all people who use that forum, and that Thaedydal derailed the thread.

I think thaed is refaring to "child protection policys", I am part of an organisation that would have all their members carry out a child protection information class, pass garda clearance etc, before they are allowed to volunteer with the children.

A lot of charitys/ organisations would have a child protection policy. Maybe this is what caused confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Thaedyal wrote:
    As a neutral observer, I don't see any personal abuse there. sueme was attacking posts, not posters. I don't see calling someone a troll as personally abusive - you yourself said those posters were trolling.

sueme I think your ban was harsh. It's obvious that you didn't start the thread with the intention of turning it into a slanging match.
    If people had disagreed with you, fair enough, but it didn't warrant the abuse you got.

As a neutral observer, I don't see any personal abuse there. sueme was attacking posts, not posters. I don't see calling someone a troll as personally abusive - you yourself said those posters were trolling.

sueme I think your ban was harsh. It's obvious that you didn't start the thread with the intention of turning it into a slanging match.
    If people had disagreed with you, fair enough, but it didn't warrant the abuse you got.

Thank you, its appreciated. And I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

And for what its worth, i agree too. Cant really see the abusive parts of those posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Having read plenty of Sueme's posts in the past and having read through the parenting thread, i think the ban was out of order,frankly.

She was attacked by a lot of posters offering nothing but slights on how she chooses to raise her child-i don't see any of those getting banned.

Some people just like their power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Sueme, I just had alook at that thread, and you were really lambasted right from the get-go. People really get on their high horses when they want to.

You lost the rag a bit. So what? you're human.

You're a really good poster in parenting, and ,for what it's worth, I'd have reacted in the same way as you did to the trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I don't see any abuse in those posts tbh. Nothing was made personal and one of those posts was actually to ask someone else to stop being personally abusive.

I think sueme kept her head quite well. In fairness she probably should have reported the posts and thread faster than she did but she did report them. People in there got alot more abusive than she did. I think the ban was harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Sueme shouldn't have been banned

I posted in that thread , I was the one that got it going :D and I didnt see much trolling tbh.

Some posters like myself asked fair questions, like why didnt you put sun lotion on the child and Sueme reacted like any parent would.

I'm all out of thanks Takola, but cheers.

Wether this ban is lifted or not, I feel morally in the right here, so it helps that alot of you are seeing my point, and not leaving me here alone ranting at the system! :D

This whole thing has been ridiculous.

*Not quite ready for the cats boys, but looking forward to them, make 'em gooduns' k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

I'm all out of thanks Takola, but cheers.

Wether this ban is lifted or not, I feel morally in the right here, so it helps that alot of you are seeing my point, and not leaving me here alone ranting at the system! :D

This whole thing has been ridiculous.

*Not quite ready for the cats boys, but looking forward to them, make 'em gooduns' k?

Have to...stop....cant

Your right about being unfairly banned, but not about
    So about 100 kids, about 50 adults and NO-ONE thought these kids might burn??

As you should have put lotion on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I feel responsible for what has happened to Sueme and Quality. I brought this issue of "trolling" into the feedback area on Thaeds recommendation. If I had realised that the offended parties would also be banned I may have gone about it another way.

It is good to know though that the people I felt were responsible actually have a history of bans for trolling. At least I know now my instincts about them were correct. In light of this though, I feel the bans to Sueme and Quality could have just been a warning maybe (even that seems a bit harsh though). Bans for a first offence seems OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

On the question of responsibility; those who were banned were solely responsible for their own banning.

Let's not lay the blame elsewhere nor indeed assume that responsibility one's self.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Sueme, I just had alook at that thread, and you were really lambasted right from the get-go. People really get on their high horses when they want to.

You lost the rag a bit. So what? you're human.

You're a really good poster in parenting, and ,for what it's worth, I'd have reacted in the same way as you did to the trolling.

+1

You got caught in the crossfire a bit there methinks. Your posts, as quoted by Thaed, I don't think warranted a ban. But the thread needed the ban-hammer & it isn't always a precision instrument.

• Advertisement

Heinrich wrote: »
    On the question of responsibility; those who were banned were solely responsible for their own banning.

Let's not lay the blame elsewhere nor indeed assume that responsibility one's self.

oh can we not blame it on someone else? you mean we have to take accoutnablity and resposnibility for our own actions??

OMGZOLLE :eek:

What a revilation!

I think someone's got the original point of the orignal thread..

*ching*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement