Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Parenting Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Have to...stop....cant

Your right about being unfairly banned, but not about

As you should have put lotion on her.

That is not the issue, or the case here, as has been explained again and again.

This thread is about being banned.

ntlbell wrote: »
    oh can we not blame it on someone else? you mean we have to take accoutnablity and resposnibility for our own actions??

OMGZOLLE :eek:

What a revilation!

I think someone's got the original point of the orignal thread..

*ching*

Post reported. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

sueme wrote: »
    Post reported. Yawn.

You know before you report a post there generally has to be a reason otherwise mods will start to get bored of your constant reports.

It is actually against the charter of most forums to abuse the report feature.

so unless the post breaks the charter dont randomly report posts

thanks for playing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

you have a serious chip on your shoulder ntbell.

OT the OP was unfairly banned. Simple as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

oh can we not blame it on someone else? you mean we have to take accoutnablity and resposnibility for our own actions??

OMGZOLLE :eek:

What a revilation!

I think someone's got the original point of the orignal thread..

*ching*

Bad attitude, which is what probably got up the OP's back in the first place.

Its the smart arses that derail threads, not necessarily trolls. There was nothing wrong with people stating their 'opinion' that mother was responsible for the suncream, however its the degrading, derogatory manner in which people point this out that puts people on the defensive.

Bubblewrap kid for example. And the use of mr rolls eyes. Harsh.

The boards motto is Now Ye're talking. Who are any of you, aside from the mods, to say whether a thread is worthwhile or not. There is plenty of other ****e on here not worth the trouble of reading - so hit the back button and look elsewhere or else report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Joy of hindsight eh? How much simpler life is if the Report button is used early on.

Really you have to make 1 of 2 choices when faced with a conflict on a thread: either report it, or deftly defuse the situation (or try both?). But never butt heads, because it becomes difficult to read >_> then you get this mountain out of a molehill, then you have moles, and then we have to call the exterminators because now we have a mole infestation - thanks a lot moles.

Well the reason I was banned apparently was for personal abuse, which I don't believe I did and quite a few people agree with me, I have already admitted I should have reported more posts, so essentially I was banned for not reporting more posts about people who were using personal abuse towards me. I was treated the same as the people who were breaking the charter.

Not the finest example of Modding I have seen here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

sueme I already told you it was for the tit for tat posting which was off topic and derailing the thread which got you banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Well the reason I was banned apparently was for personal abuse, which I don't believe I did and quite a few people agree with me, I have already admitted I should have reported more posts, so essentially I was banned for not reporting more posts about people who were using personal abuse towards me. I was treated the same as the people who were breaking the charter.

Not the finest example of Modding I have seen here.

By the same token there are those who disagree with you and with perfectly valid reason!

You were banned and criticizing the modding might get that ban prolonged.

Is there something in the charter re over reporting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I am happy to discuss the topic and the challenge in the parenting forum
    when he is able to do so, which given his vitrollic rants unfortunately may be longer then a week.
    Heinrich wrote: »

You were banned and criticizing the modding might get that ban prolonged.

Just out of curiousity, guys (I hope never to have a feedback thread directed at me, so I hope the following will be irrelevant) are we supposed to prolong bans etc for things people say in feedback? I was under the impression that feedback was somewhere where you could safely criticise mod decisions?

I'm open to correction, though.

• Advertisement

This forum is a place to question modding thats not a problem.

sueme you contributed to that squabble, if you had not of reacted they way you did the squabble would not have continued, you got banned due to your participation, don't do it again it's that simple.
    Sarah: That's not fair!
    Jareth: You say that so often, I wonder what your basis for comparison is?

You were all behaving like children so you all got punished and given time to think about your behaviour, I suggest you do that rather then whinging on here other people were more badly behaved then you were.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity, guys (I hope never to have a feedback thread directed at me, so I hope the following will be irrelevant) are we supposed to prolong bans etc for things people say in feedback? I was under the impression that feedback was somewhere where you could safely criticise mod decisions?

I'm open to correction, though.

Yes people can criticise and question here and seek to have decisions over turned and say all manner of things but I have also had posters demonstrate and indeed say that after the ban is up they will not play ball and abide by the rules ( as laid down in the forum charter) and display such disregard that letting them back in to the forum would damaging to the forum and to the community there.

Yes people can criticise and question here and seek to have decisions over turned and say all manner of things but I have also had posters demonstrate and indeed say that after the ban is up they will not play ball and abide by the rules ( as laid down in the forum charter) and display such disregard that letting them back in to the forum would damaging to the forum and to the community there.

Yea fair enough if the person says they'll continue to break rules, or if they're very personally abusive towards the moderator.

But the above quotes in my post didn't suggest those caveats. That's just what had me curious.

To be honest whether the ban is prolonged or not is of no concern to me, I wouldn't contribute to the Parenting Forum anyway if it continues in its current form, so whether it is a weeks ban or a lifetime ban is all the one to me at the moment. Either, are in my opinion, wrong. I didn't derail the thread, I didn't engage in any personal abuse and I have been reprimanded the same as people who did do this. Nor did I derail the my own thread.

I don't like Thaeds modding in this particular instance, but I have never had any problems with her before and respect her position here. And I totally agree that Parenting is a large, emotive, non-lighthearted forum which shouldn't be left to one mod to police as she has plenty of other forums to mod and a real life too. I have been nothing but respectful to her either in post or PM, and I resent being treated as one of the mob. I don't like having a ban on my record here, if it was deserved, no problem, but in my and others, opinions, it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I was banned from the Parenting Forum for a week. I don't agree with this. (Surprisingly enough.)

Thead has asked me to take it to Feedback, so may I jump aboard your thread Ludo?

EDIT: New thread started as per Theadydals request.

That was a nasty, troll-filled thread, and in my opinion would put alot of parents off posting in Parenting. I have looked and I can't see where I broke the charter, except by perhaps not reporting enough threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329029

just read the post. Essentially, you're as guilty as ntlbell and others who repeatedly dragged the thread off-topic despite being warned a couple of times not to react to the bait. Yes the mods often will and should step in so as you don't have to face the type of abuse you got in that thread, but they can't ban someone for going off-topic and ignore the fact that you did the same even tho you're the OP.
    basically, you either ignore the posts altogether, or you report them. Trying to deal with this type of thing on-thread just fks the thread. imo.

edit, the only difference between you and quality on one side and ntlbell and magicmarker on the other is that you were on opposing sides of this argument. to us neutrals, all comments about the argument are equally off-topic and equally deserving of a ban.

Actually, speaking of forum charters. Who comes up with them? Do people review them regularly in light of the evolving cohort who post on a forum? Just wondering if what the posters thinik is unacceptable coincides with what's in the charter. How often do people change theirs?

Having said that, in bio+med we have had our own stickied feedback thread for ages, and it's not thrown up any big surpises.

This is way off topic, isn't it. I'm gonna get me one of them there bans or somethin. I need to get back to my boring work, in fairness. :D

Ignore my musings. As you were. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

sueme I already told you it was for the tit for tat posting which was off topic and derailing the thread which got you banned.

Can you post off topic on a thread so long as it's not in a tit for tat manner?

tbh wrote: »
    just read the post. Essentially, you're as guilty as ntlbell and others who repeatedly dragged the thread off-topic despite being warned a couple of times not to react to the bait. Yes the mods often will and should step in so as you don't have to face the type of abuse you got in that thread, but they can't ban someone for going off-topic and ignore the fact that you did the same even tho you're the OP.
    basically, you either ignore the posts altogether, or you report them. Trying to deal with this type of thing on-thread just fks the thread. imo.

edit, the only difference between you and quality on one side and ntlbell and magicmarker on the other is that you were on opposing sides of this argument. to us neutrals, all comments about the argument are equally off-topic and equally deserving of a ban.

I disagree, there was personal abuse towards me, by a known troll of many forums on boards, I did report it, and I got banned. Fair enough, I should have logged out and forgot about it after reporting, but I didn't derail the thread and I didn't use personal abuse towards anyone, but I don't believe that was sufficient enough a crime to warrant a banning. A warning would have been fair enough, an infraction at the very, very most perhaps, but not a banning.

I disagree, there was personal abuse towards me, by a known troll of many forums on boards, I did report it, and I got banned. Fair enough, I should have logged out and forgot about it after reporting, but I didn't derail the thread and I didn't use personal abuse towards anyone, but I don't believe that was sufficient enough a crime to warrant a banning. A warning would have been fair enough, an infraction at the very, very most perhaps, but not a banning.

You don't worry about what I'm doing or where I'm trolling, control yourself.

You didn't; you got banned move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, I have to say I disagree with tbh. At least Quality and sueme weren't resorting to the unprovoked smart-assed, aggressive, sarcastic, mean-spirited stuff ntlbell and MagicMarker were posting. If they had made their points in a civil, non-reactionary manner they wouldn't have riled sueme up and this thread would probably be non existent.

• Advertisement

You don't worry about what I'm doing or where I'm trolling, control yourself.

If only you'd taken your own advice and chose not to worry about sueme and her suntan lotion dilemma, then the world would have been a happier place ;)

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, I have to say I disagree with tbh. At least Quality and sueme weren't resorting to the unprovoked smart-assed, aggressive, sarcastic, mean-spirited stuff ntlbell and MagicMarker were posting. If they had made their points in a civil, non-reactionary manner they wouldn't have riled sueme up and this thread would probably be non existent.

will you ever get a hold of yourself missus.

Can you quote were I was aggressive to the OP?

In fact if anything I congratulated her on the importance she places on UV/Sun protection.

Now stop talking nonsense or quote me.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    If only you'd taken your own advice and chose not to worry about sueme and her suntan lotion dilemma, then the world would have been a happier place ;)

Ah it's you know, women! and their hormones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sure. You're never sarcastic or smart-arsed.

Sure. You're never sarcastic or smart-arsed.

No I'm smart-arsed and sarcastic a lot but what's that got to do with this thread?

now can you quote where I was aggressive to the OP?

If not kindly stop commenting on my aggression

k/thnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I agree that some posters were taking the thread off-topic, and that qual and sueme were only reacting to that. I also feel that the mods should have stepped in earlier, but probably they were unaware of what was happening. However, the only response to that type of behaviour should be to report the post. IMO, no-one has a license to mod their own threads, and that was what sueme was doing. If the mods don't reply to reported posts, report them again or pm the mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hindsight is a great thing, And unfortunately I have learned the hard way to report posts when I feel they are abusive. I am making quite good use of that function at the moment.:D

I do find Suemes ban unfair. As said before I was banned also.

As ludo has pointed out there is only one mod patrolling it at the moment, The other 2 mods have not posted in parenting, in a couple of months. NOw thaed is doing her best and I am not in anyway trying to insult her, but perhaps the burden could be lightened for her.

I dont think people should be allowed post in an aggressive abusive manner, That is what I oppossed at that is the argument I was trying to get across.

Quality wrote: »
    As said before I was banned also.

and rightly so! you were as bad as anyone else!

one more for you to report!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

On the basis that the lot of you are continuing to act like children, if I were Thaed I'd be of a mind to keep you all in the 'Ban-Corner' for the forseeable future & not let you back into the 'Parenting Playhouse' until you promised by PM to behave yourselves.

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    On the basis that the lot of you are continuing to act like children.

You say it like it's a bad thing, and frankly I find your remarks pretty insulting towards kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement