Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Parenting Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hill Billy wrote: »
    On the basis that the lot of you are continuing to act like children, if I were Thaed I'd be of a mind to keep you all in the 'Ban-Corner' for the forseeable future & not let you back into the 'Parenting Playhouse' until you promised by PM to behave yourselves.

How am I acting like a child? I agree the usual suspects are, but I don't believe I am.

I hate "I Got Banned!!?!!!!!" threads as much as the next person, they're usually totally deserved bans. I don't recall one ever being over-turned, just the OP getting alot of cat-picz. But Feedback is the only place I can discuss this, in my usual calm, reasonable manner. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

ntlbell, i'm leaving work now and I'm gonna hit the scratcher for the next 12 hours, so I don't know how all this is going to go for u :P

BUT, I would politely point out that you're doing yourself no favours with the remarks you keep making. I don't mean any offence by that, it's just what I think.

Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

sueme wrote: »
    How am I acting like a child? I agree the usual suspects are, but I don't believe I am.

I hate "I Got Banned!!?!!!!!" threads as much as the next person, they're usually totally deserved bans. I don't recall one ever being over-turned, just the OP getting alot of cat-picz. But Feedback is the only place I can discuss this, in my usual calm, reasonable manner. :D

with respect :)

Hill billys post was quite a general comment, and it was fairly innocuous. If you had just ignored it, that would have been it. But instead you reacted to it, and quoted it, which just brings it all to attention again and makes people read his post again, with probably more of them agreeing with it. And for what? So you could make a pretty worthless point (imo) - of course you are not going to think you were acting like a child - who would admit that in a situation like this? It was pretty much a given, so you kind of scored an own goal in that situation. And see that's kind of the point.

If you had just ignored ntlbells comments in the post, then ntlbell would have gotten bored and moved on. And what's the point in replying anyway? It's pretty obvious that most reasonable people wouldn't agree with him anyway, so why react to it?

See, that's what adults do. They know which battles are worth fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

tbh wrote: »

Hill billys post was quite a general comment, and it was fairly innocuous. If you had just ignored it, that would have been it. But instead you reacted to it, and quoted it, which just brings it all to attention again and makes people read his post again, with probably more of them agreeing with it. And for what? So you could make a pretty worthless point (imo) - of course you are not going to think you were acting like a child - who would admit that in a situation like this? It was pretty much a given, so you kind of scored an own goal in that situation. And see that's kind of the point.

If you had just ignored ntlbells comments in the post, then ntlbell would have gotten bored and moved on. And what's the point in replying anyway? It's pretty obvious that most reasonable people wouldn't agree with him anyway, so why react to it?

You see that is where you are wrong where ntlbell is concerned, He is like a dog with a bone, he is relentless, he will just keep on and on and ariston the whole time.....

Even if the comment is not directed to him, he will still manage to troll it.

but why can't you just ignore him? What's the compulsion to point out on thread what everybody already knows?

• Advertisement

but why can't you just ignore him? What's the compulsion to point out on thread what everybody already knows?

I think it is unfair that he is allowed be abusive and to insult posters. As said before, I have now learnt that the best way is to report his posts that I find offending.

In future I am not going to reply to his posts. Hopefully something can be done about him then.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Maybe because self righteous indignation is not confined exclusively to adults?:D

I agree with your comments regarding ntbell. I am ignoring him, now. I reporting him for trolling again this morning, and as I have learned, I'll ignore him and leave it at that.

As for Hill Billys comments, and yours I feel I'm replying to them reasonably, and disagreeing with some of your points, not being childish. No nobody likes to be called such a thing, including me, so I will try and explain/defend myself. But yourself and Hill Billy aren't trying to troll and wind me up. Your giving your opinions in a rational way, which is cool, they are your opinions, it doesn't mean though that my replying to them is in any way an own goal.

Absolutely spot on Sueme, they are criticising in a rational way. Constructive criticism in a way.....

Quality wrote: »
    I think it is unfair that he is allowed be abusive and to insult posters.
    he's not tho. I think we all agree on the fact that if someone is abusive and insulting to other posters on a thread in ANY forum, they will be banned.

The question is then, what constitutes someone being abusive and insulting? I can be insulted by a seemingly innocent remark, and I may not be insulted by an outright character assassination in other cases. It's all about context. And on this site, the context is decided by the mods. That's just the way it is, like it or lump it. If there were no mods, every thread would be like the thunderdome. Sometimes a mod isn't going to agree with you that you've been insulted, and usually they are right. This isn't because they are all knowing, just that they are (or should be) impartial. In these cases, you just have to suck it up, and get on with the thread, rather than keep sniping back to the original comments, which in fairness, both of ye were doing.

Ultimately, ye achieved nothing really and you only hurt yourselves. . you're both banned, the forum continues without you, and all because you couldn't let it go...like ntlbell gives two craps about whether he's banned in there or not. I don't know, but I doubt you see him trolling the poker forum, because obviously he enjoys it (I'm assuming a lot from your location thingy) and he's got too much to lose. I hate to say it, but he won :) he was trying to get a rise out of ye, and ye handed it to him on a plate. If you'd ignored him, he'd be the only one banned. And as I said, everything you both said in the thread was only what we all knew anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

he's not tho. I think we all agree on the fact that if someone is abusive and insulting to other posters on a thread in ANY forum, they will be banned.
    Here is one of the biggest problems and it is a very unique problem to the parenting forum.

I can't control what Quality or anyone else finds offensive or insulting.
    When someone disagrees with you about how you rare your kids you will naturally be insulted (not everyone, they're a few rational parents out there)but the majority will this doesn't mean the person is abusing you or trying to insult you, you're taking offense where no offense or insult was intended.

Quality for example on this thread me stating "she's all over the place" implying you post on a lot of forum's is not an insult it's a fact and I wasn't _trying_ to abuse you, yet you report the post.

There will always be a difference of opinion on what someone finds abusive and insulting, hence why we have mods in the first place, boards is not rocket science like.

The question is then, what constitutes someone being abusive and insulting? I can be insulted by a seemingly innocent remark, and I may not be insulted by an outright character assassination in other cases. It's all about context. And on this site, the context is decided by the mods. That's just the way it is, like it or lump it. If there were no mods, every thread would be like the thunderdome. Sometimes a mod isn't going to agree with you that you've been insulted, and usually they are right. This isn't because they are all knowing, just that they are (or should be) impartial. In these cases, you just have to suck it up, and get on with the thread, rather than keep sniping back to the original comments, which in fairness, both of ye were doing.

Ultimately, ye achieved nothing really and you only hurt yourselves. . you're both banned, the forum continues without you, and all because you couldn't let it go...like ntlbell gives two craps about whether he's banned in there or not. I don't know, but I doubt you see him trolling the poker forum, because obviously he enjoys it (I'm assuming a lot from your location thingy) and he's got too much to lose. I hate to say it, but he won :) he was trying to get a rise out of ye, and ye handed it to him on a plate. If you'd ignored him, he'd be the only one banned. And as I said, everything you both said in the thread was only what we all knew anyway.

This isn't just about ntbell, there were alot of other unnecessary comments on that thread, he was just one of them. I didn't break the charter and therefore I don't believe I should have been banned. This thread isn't about ntbell or anyone else, it is about me questioning a decision made about me, which I think was harsh.

Yes but thaed agreed that he is a troll and that if it was up to her he would be site banned.

he has been abusive to me in several posts since last night. I have reported them all.

Anyhow, I have made my points, I have not objected to my ban. I will in future report rather than react.

I like to think that I will have learned something from this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My posts in Feedback are not having a pop at individuals – just highlighting how far this whole thing has gotten out of hand. Thaed has a tough job to do in Parenting & like I mentioned in a previous post – the ban-hammer isn’t a precision instrument.

I know that tempers are frayed at the moment, but it is often best to let these things die a quick death so we can get back to the Parenting forum & discuss our issues, aspirations, loves/hates & fears in a calm & rational fashion.

If other posters are píssing you off - report them if necessary, let the mods deal with them, you ignore them & move on.

Let's brush this thread's teeth & put it to bed. I'll read you all a story if that helps. :)

Yes but thaed agreed that he is a troll and that if it was up to her he would be site banned.

he has been abusive to me in several posts since last night. I have reported them all.

Anyhow, I have made my points, I have not objected to my ban. I will in future report rather than react.

You have very selective eyes.

She would have me banned as she PERSONALLY doesn't like how I post etc. nothing to do with the rules/charters of boards which for the most part I adhere to.

If I was bad enough to be site banned I would be no question. read posts fully please.

:) fair play.

and sue: you did break the charter. every post you made about ntls behaviour was off-topic. You continued to do it after the mod told you to stop. The content of what you posted doesn't matter - doesn't matter if you were right or not. It's off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

ntlbell wrote: »
    Here is one of the biggest problems and it is a very unique problem to the parenting forum.

I can't control what Quality or anyone else finds offensive or insulting.
    When someone disagrees with you about how you rare your kids you will naturally be insulted (not everyone, they're a few rational parents out there)but the majority will this doesn't mean the person is abusing you or trying to insult you, you're taking offense where no offense or insult was intended.

Ya see this is where I disagree with you Ntlbell. It is the tone and manner in which the disagreement is expressed which causes the offence. There are plenty of different opinions offered on the parenting forum and the vast majority of discussions go fine. Then someone drops in a comment about bubblewrapping your kid (this comment was not made by you) and then people take offense and it all kicks off.

IMHO MagicMarker shoulda been banned for longer than anyone else but justice does not normally prevail in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

*Not quite ready for the cats boys, but looking forward to them, make 'em gooduns' k?

I'm picturing one of those hairless cats with the slogan "It puts the lotion on the skin", but I'm not good at photoshop so you will all have to use your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Terry wrote: »
    I'm picturing one of those hairless cats with the slogan "It puts the lotion on the skin", but I'm not good at photoshop so you will all have to use your imagination.
    6c11ad29e8f1e06ca5fddbdd5bfd52b5.jpg

and sue: you did break the charter. every post you made about ntls behaviour was off-topic. You continued to do it after the mod told you to stop. The content of what you posted doesn't matter - doesn't matter if you were right or not. It's off topic.

I took that warning to be for the people trolling, it wasn't evident to me that it was a warning to me. I see now that it probably was aimed towards me also, although that wasn't made clear at the time.

If my posts were off-topic, did it deserve a banning in your opinion? Or would a warning to me, either on-thread or by PM have been sufficient? I believe so.

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    6c11ad29e8f1e06ca5fddbdd5bfd52b5.jpg

I'm pretty sure he said "hairless"

I took that warning to be for the people trolling, it wasn't evident to me that it was a warning to me. I see now that it probably was aimed towards me also, although that wasn't made clear at the time.

If my posts were off-topic, did it deserve a banning in your opinion? Or would a warning to me, either on-thread or by PM have been sufficient? I believe so.

you're not the mod. neither am I, so the question is pointless. What you mean to say is, you feel you were unfairly banned. We already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm pretty sure he said "hairless"
    Ok, imagine that part.

Ludo wrote: »
    Ya see this is where I disagree with you Ntlbell. It is the tone and manner in which the disagreement is expressed which causes the offence. There are plenty of different opinions offered on the parenting forum and the vast majority of discussions go fine. Then someone drops in a comment about bubblewrapping your kid (this comment was not made by you) and then people take offense and it all kicks off.

IMHO MagicMarker shoulda been banned for longer than anyone else but justice does not normally prevail in these situations.

I wasn't aware text had tone, but moving away from pedant's, it's not a poster's job to "sugar coat" a statement. I thought the comment on bubble wrapping your kid wasn't offensive at all we all know what it means (being over protective right?) so why is that insulting? it was the poster's opinion he wasn't trying to insult, not in my eyes. (but the charter's so confusing I'm not even sure if that's breaking it)

I can't control how someone reacts to my post's and I can't keep altering the post's because some folk won't like what they hear. I post how I talk, I shoot from the hip, every thing's black or white that's the way I am that's how I post, that's not going to change.

you're not the mod. neither am I, so the question is pointless. What you mean to say is, you feel you were unfairly banned. We already know that.

I know. Its boooooring now isn't it? But I still feel miffed all the same.

Btw, its nice to have a conversation between two people with differing opinions without it decending into mayhem. High 5.

Lame cat pic btw, I'm hoping the standard can be improved but I'm still not ready to leave and let the cats take over.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Ok, imagine that part.

now I see where all the thanks come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Oh no!!! Maybe you should wrap her up in bubblewrap so no more harm comes to her? While you're at it, go and talk to a solicitor about taking legal action.

If she knows not to swim unless you're with her, why doesn't she know to put on suncream without being told to do so?

I think you're over reacting slightly to something which was inevitable at some stage in her life!!

Do you not get a "tone" from the first paragraph? I sure do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

jpeg1098596653.jpg

Ludo wrote: »
    Do you not get a "tone" from the first paragraph? I sure do.

I see a valid point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

My 2c.

Having read this and the original thread and as an impartial observer, you were all banned for disregarding Thaeds warning in the thread.

This seems harsh to Sueme and Quality as they were defending against flaming but nonetheless they ignored the warning and as such the banning is justified.

The same would happen anywhere else on boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement