Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Parenting Forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Trinity1 wrote: »
    I kind of get the impression that question has already been answered tbh.

I guess it can be a grey area around personal abuse and someone just pissing you off.

Drama queen, brat etc when talking in relation to my child/my parenting skills to me would be very insulting and degrading and can be difficult to ignore but unfortunately thick skin is a must on the internet.

Im a great believer in it aint what you say its the way that you say it.

...and to paraphrase Fred Astaire - "let's call the whole thing off"

This is the internet FFS. The great anonymous forum on the airwaves where nice people get misunderstood and ...sheesh ...whatever:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Heinrich wrote: »
    The majority are not always right but if it helps you to sleep that is a good thing in itself!

I think she'll find in the end the majority agreed we all deserved a ban.

It depends what tinted glasses you're looking through

ntlbell wrote: »
    I think she'll find in the end the majority agreed we all deserved a ban.

It depends what tinted glasses you're looking through

I'm not so sure if it's a problem with the tinted glasses. The view from the high horse might be dim if there are low clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Having read over the thread again, I do think Thaed made a mistake.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56477199&postcount=57

She gave warnings to the trolls (and yes, ye were trolling - there were other posters that disagreed with sueme who didn't resort to the sarcastic bull**** ye did) and didn't give any explicit warning to sueme and Quality.

Sueme and Quality should have been warned or, at the very most, given an infraction rather than an immediate ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Trinity1 wrote: »
    I kind of get the impression that question has already been answered tbh.

I guess it can be a grey area around personal abuse and someone just pissing you off.

Drama queen, brat etc when talking in relation to my child/my parenting skills to me would be very insulting and degrading and can be difficult to ignore but unfortunately thick skin is a must on the internet.

Im a great believer in it aint what you say its the way that you say it.

Thanks Trinity1, I need a sunblock with built in skin-thickener for using Boards methinks.

• Advertisement

Having read over the thread again, I do think Thaed made a mistake.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56477199&postcount=57

She gave warnings to the trolls (and yes, ye were trolling - there were other posters that disagreed with sueme who didn't resort to the sarcastic bull**** ye did) and didn't give any explicit warning to sueme and Quality.

Sueme and Quality should have been warned or, at the very most, given an infraction rather than an immediate ban.

I agree it wasn't apparent that the warning was towards me at all.

sueme wrote: »
    Thanks Trinity1, I need a sunblock with built in skin-thickener for using Boards methinks.

Only when you use the boards for ranting about third parties not looking after the offspring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not so sure if it's a problem with the tinted glasses. The view from the high horse might be dim if there are low clouds.
    :confused:

Who's on their high horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I should have have to give specific warnings, hell I should not have to warn anyone or ban anyone if they all behaved in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I should have have to give specific warnings, hell I should not have to warn anyone or ban anyone if they all behaved in the first place.
    Thing is, Sueme was pretty much targeted for abuse by certain posters in that thread from page 1. From my understanding of it, her parenting skills were (in)directly mocked, what person isn't going to react to that provocation? The fact that she was extremely civil in her dealings with these trolls should count for something, shouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In fairness Thaedydal, you warned specific posters to stop trolling - rightly so. You should have dealt with ntlbell for arguing your warning on thread a few minutes later. Maybe that would have saved some carnage.
    Arguing with a moderator
    - Do not argue with a moderator in a thread after they have given a warning or a ban etc. If you have an issue with a moderator's action then PM the mod in question. They will discuss it with you. You can then, if unsatisfied with the PM route, take things to Feedback.

I'm not taking sides here, just wondering why that was let slide.

True. And I shouldn't have to tolerate such abuse on a heavily moderated forum.

I played by the rules, others certainly didn't and continue not to do so, but they get away with it. I get the same treatment as them for trying to keep civil and following the site rules. :confused: Its inconsistant, and I would say in my limited time here, very unusual for such behaviour to be tolerated.

If I bowled around the site acting like these muppets you can be sure I wouldn't last the day...

True. And I shouldn't have to tolerate such abuse on a heavily moderated forum.

I played by the rules, others certainly didn't and continue not to do so, but they get away with it. I get the same treatment as them for trying to keep civil and following the site rules. :confused: Its inconsistant, and I would say in my limited time here, very unusual for such behaviour to be tolerated.

If I bowled around the site acting like these muppets you can be sure I wouldn't last the day...

Could you give it a rest now? The forum is moderated as all are but not heavily as there was only one active moderator.

Trolling time could be used for other purposes like applying sunblock...

You got banned - live with it. There's a life outside of the parenting forum you know.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Could you give it a rest now? The forum is moderated as all are but not heavily as there was only one active moderator.

Trolling time could be used for other purposes like applying sunblock...

You got banned - live with it. There's a life outside of the parenting forum you know.:(
    Poster reported for continual harrassment.

SteveC wrote: »
    In fairness Thaedydal, you warned specific posters to stop trolling - rightly so. You should have dealt with ntlbell for arguing your warning on thread a few minutes later. Maybe that would have saved some carnage.

A few minutes later!
    You expect me to be online all day Sunday ( which was also my daughters birthday ) to admonish people ? that post you are referring to was never even reported.

SteveC wrote: »
    I'm not taking sides here, just wondering why that was let slide.

Cos I am not plugged into boards 24/7 and by the time I got back the entire thread was such a train wreck there was no point trying to shift through it all at that stage they were all out of line in various ways they all got banned simple as.

sueme it's a week, suck it up and if you want a place you can rant and control all the reactions and comments then I suggest you use your journal.ie.

Quality wrote: »
    Poster reported for continual harrassment.

Quality you really don't seem understand the reporting post system and I suggest you figure it out before it's deemed that you are abusing it by smods and admins.

A few minutes later!
    You expect me to be online all day Sunday ( which was also my daughters birthday ) to admonish people ? that post you are referring to was never even reported.

Cos I am not plugged into boards 24/7 and by the time I got back the entire thread was such a train wreck there was no point trying to shift through it all at that stage they were all out of line in various ways they all got banned simple as.

sueme it's a week, suck it up and if you want a place you can rant and control all the reactions and comments then I suggest you use your journal.ie.

Oh for goodness sake, its your job to control reactions and comments if they cross the line into Personal Abuse, not mine. You didn't do that, and its not being done here either. Suck it up?! No. :)

Quality you really don't seem understand the reporting post system and I suggest you figure it out before it's deemed that you are abusing it by smods and admins.

Lol. Double standards much?

I reported it aswell, just for the craic, as its not as if anything is going to be done about it or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Oh for goodness sake, its your job...

err, no ...it isn't

You know as well as any other poster that mods here on boards are volunteers who donate their time.

Like most normal people mods also happen to have a real life with real life commitments that do take preference over modding every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

No I dont understand the reporting system, I was given out to for replying to people rather than reporting them.:confused:

Now that I am reporting posts rather than replying to them I am getting given out to for that too.:confused:

I dont suppose anything is going to do about the posts that I have reported.

So basically, I am damned if I do and I am damned if I dont.

Maybe someone can explain to me what happens to reported posts>?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead proposes that Thaedydldydl be relieved of her mod duties with immediate effect. She has not been herself since she took off all her clothes for that Spencer Tuck guy. Maybe somebody stole her underpants or shoes or something but she's been in fierce form ever since.

Some may say that this unprovoked attack on Thaedydldydl is a direct result of the unfair ban she dished out on Pighead in BGRH yesterday but those people would be wrong. Very wrong.

peasant wrote: »
    err, no ...it isn't

You know as well as any other poster that mods here on boards are volunteers who donate their time.

Like most normal people mods also happen to have a real life with real life commitments that do take preference over modding every now and then.

*Sigh*

When I say "Job" - I mean "position", "role", "responsibility", none of those require monetary payment, but are duties the person has accepted to carry out.

Is that clear enough now?

The issue of the Parenting Forum being "under-staffed" was addressed yesterday, which is good as it means this debacle shouldn't happen again.

Pighead wrote: »
    Pighead proposes that Thaedydldydl be relieved of her mod duties with immediate effect. She has not been herself since she took off all her clothes for that Spencer Tuck guy. Maybe somebody stole her underpants or shoes or something but she's been in fierce form ever since.

Some may say that this unprovoked attack on Thaedydldydl is a direct result of the unfair ban she dished out on Pighead in BGRH yesterday but those people would be wrong. Very wrong.

Get your own banning thread Paul.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Your posts are only reinforcing the seemingly generally-held opinion that you’re a twat who especially likes winding up the ladies.
    Yup, he has a pathological obsession with the Ladies' Lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Get your own banning thread Paul.
    Only if you promise to lift the ban. Couldn't face the humiliation of a failed "Unban Pighead" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Jesus get over it. Some people have wayyyyy to much time on their hands. I thought being a parent was a full time job.

Sueme i don't think you should have been banned, thats neither here nor there. It's a week. I mean really gtf over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Quality wrote: »
    No I dont understand the reporting system, I was given out to for replying to people rather than reporting them.:confused:

Now that I am reporting posts rather than replying to them I am getting given out to for that too.:confused:

I dont suppose anything is going to do about the posts that I have reported.

So basically, I am damned if I do and I am damned if I dont.

Maybe someone can explain to me what happens to reported posts>?:confused:

reported posts cause an email to be sent to the moderators of the forum in question, and there is a reported post forum where all mods can see all reported posts.

The mods of this forum are the admins, no-one else has any authority to do anything on this forum but them.

what you are doing is reporting any post in this thread from anyone who doesn't agree with you, and certain users in particular. This is brought to the attention of the admins who either haven't seen them yet, have seen them and don't care, or have seen them and don't think they are problematic. Either way, reporting a post just because it's from someone who's previously given you a bit of hassle in this thread, even tho there's not really anything wrong with the specific post you are reporting, isn't going to do you any favours.

Really what's happened here girls is that the mods havn't done what you wanted them to do, and you think if you constantly insist that they do something, eventually they will. Is that the way you raise your kids?

When a post is reported it creates a thread in a sub forum of the moderators forum which all mods can read, reply to and discuss the report generated it also creates an email
    which is sent to all the mods of that forum with the report in it and links to the report and to the post.

Really just because you disagree with someone does not mean you report thier post, just because they tell you to give over does not mean you report a post.

Reporting posts "for the craic" is abuse of the report post system akin to crying wolf
    and pisses off mods and admins.

Really ladies have you little else to be doing now that the primary schools are on holidays.

tbh wrote: »
    what you are doing is reporting any post in this thread from anyone who doesn't agree with you, and certain users in particular.
    Sorry tbh but Quality is not reporting any post in this thread from anyone who doesn't agree with her, she's reporting the constant snipes from ntlbell and Heinrich. Granted, they aren't all abusive but there are so many of them that drawing attention to them might paint enough of a troll picture.

• Advertisement

The ladies need to grow thicker skins.

cos at this stage....

godgivenright.jpgtirelessrebutter.jpgattentionwhore.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement