Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

o2 Broadband / xbox 360

• 06-07-2008 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

I'd be much obliged for any suggestions...

Just got an xbox 360. Trying to use o2 mobile broadband to connect to xbox live through my laptop / USB modem. After hours of messing with various network settings, I eventually got set up and was able to game online no problemo, speeds etc were perfect.

Turned the whole thing off after a while, came back, andnow i just can't get it reconnected. It keeps getting an IP fail problem when trying to connect. Have read buckets of online guides, messed around with setting all over the shop to no avail.

I know it's possible as I used it for over an hour, but now I can't get it back - anybody have any experience of this ? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 AlfaR147

Hi, Im in the same boat as you mate.
    Anybody out there know how to fix it?
    I know 3 had problems with their setup due to everyone having the same IP address, but I know o2 customers have seperate ones.
    So any techno whizz out there know how we can get back in the game???:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Mobile Dongles have these problems as they aren't meant to be used with gaming services. As far as I know there is no workaround as if your ping is too high it will not let you sign in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

mobile broadband has high latency so it's not suitable for gaming. You were probably just lucky to have a pinglow enough to play for the hour or so that it did work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

Afraid not PWD, plenty of o2 users are having no problems, so my problem must be more specific

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'm not familiar with the O2 broadband system.
    Are they obliged to provide 360 support?
    Is there the possibility of plugging it into a router so you can control the IP addressing yourself? Or is it a dongle only type situation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

well on the o2 forum o2 employees say it's crap for gaming for that reason. I have it at the moment myself and can get a v good signal and speed in my office (not in my flat alas) but get latencies too high to be suitable for gaming even there.

Fair enough, but in this instance, my xbox can't even get an IP address from the laptop, which seems to suggest network setting aren't correct

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

BankMan wrote: »
    Fair enough, but in this instance, my xbox can't even get an IP address from the laptop, which seems to suggest network setting aren't correct
    You're better off to just leave it and try get proper broadband to be honest.

If you were just using it to get demos/arcade games fair enough, but you actually want to use it for gaming against others? I'd compare that to using dial up on xbox live. :o It just won't work my friend.

I'm sure you thought the speeds were ok and everything was playing fine but I guarantee you that on everyone elses screen you were lagging all over the shop.

You're not in a position to guarantee anything. One of my pals was fighting against me - he confirms my connection looked perfect on his side too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

BankMan wrote: »
    You're not in a position to guarantee anything. One of my pals was fighting against me - he confirms my connection looked perfect on his side too.

I agree I have vodafone3g and its fine for online gaming. I dont remember the last time I had lag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I agree I have vodafone3g and its fine for online gaming. I dont remember the last time I had lag.

It was yesterday when your lag made you freeze and I pwnd you with a hand grenade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Xbox Live seems to be uncannily good at handling lagging users TBH.

I still wouldn't use it as I don't think its reliable enough. It'll just cause you to pull your hair out in the long run.

If it was working and it isn't now, try reinstalling the software for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

It was yesterday when your lag made you freeze and I pwnd you with a hand grenade.

lol

We could go on and on with this and never get the answer!The ping isn't the issue here!I had eircom in a previous house and the ping was twice as much as what I'm getting on O2 now.The main thing is why our 360's cant even get an IP address!Please guys, there must be some techno geek out there who can help us.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah try reinstalling it man or using it in a different USB Port.

On the laptops in work that use the O2 USB modem, it likes to be plugged into the same USB port each time or it tries to reinstall its drivers again.

Just an update lads:

After 2 heart attacks, 4,000 pints of scrumptious macardles ale, a case of whiskey, endless endless rage, and a partridge in a pear tree, I finally got this fixed. Am now gaming away merrily.

Anyone else with similar problems let me know - I may have the answer !

Nice one Bankman!Share the wealth!How the hell did you do it???

I've PM'd you Alfa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

I have the same setup with the o2 mobile broadband but cant get connected either. mine gets as far as the dns then fails. can anyone help me with this??

Try deactivating internet connection sharing, reactivating it, then reconnect to the broadband, then re-run the connection tests on the xbox - happens to me sometimes, and the above works for me - i'm on o2 BTW. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

im getting the exact same problem, anyone care to help? cant figure it out because it works with a three modem ive tried, just not with the O2 one

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Bumping this.

Mine just keeps failing the IP stage.

Advertisement