Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Matchplay 2008 Thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think Wade/Taylor will develop into one of the great rivalries in sport, ala Nadal/Federer.

Wade shows Taylor way too much respect. He played great last night, especially in the early going, but it went to script. As I said to my friends, Wade will start off with the lead but once Taylor starts putting him under pressure he'll buckle. From 7-4 up, for Taylor to level it up with 84 and 142 checkouts killed him. His darts were visibly slacker from there, he was getting sloppy in leaving finishes and just had no luck.

Once Wade keeps losing in big occassions to Taylor, we'll see him start to come back. He has the game to beat Taylor, and against any other player has the bottle. But he's built Taylor up in his head too much. When he continues to lose big in these finals to him, he'll start to develop the neccessary hatred for Taylor. As long as that hatred doesn't take a Manley-manifestation and influences him for the positive more than winding him up, then I think we'll see Wade start to dominate darts.

But for now, there's no denying Taylor's class. What other player would you be shocked and semi-disappointing DIDN'T hit a 9-darter in last night's final? And the bottle shown to hit that last bull...wow.

These two are taking the sport to an even greater level. I believe that soon enough, we'll become used to 3-4 nine-darters in a final with these two contesting it. They're that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Great final , great tourney full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I thought it was one of the best finals ever for 18 legs, then wade stopped playing except for that near 9 darter leg which was one of the greatest things to witness just the plain clinical expertise of the 2 greatest darts players on the planet

Wade has been my favourite for a while, he's a cíteóg like myself and he's been growing in ability since that first big win 12 months ago.

he's now showing taylor he's capable of matching average for average and for half the final he was averaging as good as if not better than taylor, it was amazing to watch as nobody has been able to keep up with taylor when he averages over 103, wade showed last night he can, and over the next 12 months i think he'll go from being good enough over half a final to being the full show.

Looking forward to seeing the Citywest event now, have my ticket for the wednesday as most players will still be in the tournament at that stage and hopefully i can get some good games in and meet some of the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

How Taylor hit that bull to win it is beyond me, he seemed unusually choked at the end to win it. Have my tickets for citywest for Wednesday and Thursday, hopefully pick up one in the meantime for Friday although Friday does tend to be a bit too packed for my liking and considering we got one of the matches of the year last time out on Friday it probably won't be as good this time around.

Advertisement