Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Sligo - Your View

Options
  • 06-07-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I am starting this thread because I would love to start Surfing. I am going to be in Sligo for the next four/five years (Summers not included). I am looking for information and also hearing from people who would like to share their surfing experiences in Sligo and outside of Sligo. Any information on the following questions below would be of huge benefit to me and other people interested in surfing here.

[1] People currently are involved in the sport of surfing in Sligo
    [2] Benefits of the sport and what clubs/societies are present in Sligo
    [3] Information on the right gear to wear while surfing
    [4] Places of interest and great surfing locations in Sligo
    [5] Any other information

Thanks in advance.

DenMan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Jesus... someone's asking about surfin' spots... This could get messy...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There are a bunch of surfing instruction schools in Strandhill: Perfect Day surf school, Strandhill Surf School would be the two biggest. (For what it's worth, perfect day do women only classes - I'd certainly appreciate not having to be clad in skin tight neoprene in front of a bunch of strange guys)

That's really all I know. However, I bet the people at those establishments would be very much able to answer any questions you might have!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Jesus... someone's asking about surfin' spots... This could get messy...

I'll keep an eye on it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks for that Mr Crystal. I was aware of it, however I wanted to set this thread up to deal exclusively with surfing in Sligo. I feel it has a lot of potential and will give Sligo surfers based here in Sligo and away from Sligo a place to call their own. I want it to be based here for Sligo surfers giving them the chance to post on their local region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

I would love to learn to surf...... but I need to learn to swim first...... :o

I am a decent swimmer myself and would love to be able to surf.

Actually could anyone recommend a good swimming school.....for a very nervous 30 year old.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Actually could anyone recommend a good swimming school.....for a very nervous 30 year old.....:o

I'm sure they do lessons in the Sports Complex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

Gillie is right, they do lessons in the Complex. I did them a few years ago at age 23 (...24? Not sure), and a mate did them last winter and he's 29. All ages (well, 20 to 60 or so) at them, decent size classes and good instruction from my experience.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys,
    Just rang the Complex.. they're not doing adult lessons again until September.. was kinda looking for something to do over the summer months..

I heard there's a good instructor in Mullaghmore, he does one to one lessons etc..

I cant underestimate how nervous i will be!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Cheers guys,
    Just rang the Complex.. they're not doing adult lessons again until September.. was kinda looking for something to do over the summer months..

I heard there's a good instructor in Mullaghmore, he does one to one lessons etc..

I cant underestimate how nervous i will be!!:eek:

I understand! I nearly drowned over 15 years ago and it f*cked me in the head for a long time after.

I can kinda swim but wouldn't be hugely confident.

If he/she is a professional then you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I also need to learn to swim,maybe in galway this year.Obviously i don't surf but people i know who do go to easkey a lot.I think you are new to sligo so you should know(if you don't already)that strandhill can be a dangerous place to swim.Afaik the current can pull people underwater.Someone else might be able to explain better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I also need to learn to swim,maybe in galway this year.Obviously i don't surf but people i know who do go to easkey a lot.I think you are new to sligo so you should know(if you don't already)that strandhill can be a dangerous place to swim.Afaik the current can pull people underwater.Someone else might be able to explain better.

AFAIK its the shifting sands there that are dangerous more than the currents. Although I'm open to correction...
    Either way, swimming in Strandhill is not to be recommended...

Hey guys

Can anybody confirm or deny this for me.

I heard before that one of the surfing instructors from Strandhill used to teach swimming classes in Summerhill College. It was to help prepare people to learn to swim who were interested in surfing. Is that true? Is the swimming pool in the college still in use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bloodfairyx

In relation to the main point of this thread..... Right what u should do is just walk into the any surf shop in ur area, and just tell them u want to start, They will show u what exactly u'll need and how much the **** costs... Id suggest get a friend to show u (if any of ur friends do surf) Or else go to the surf school, once or twice.. But after that its Just keep trying at it urself...

Check this website out for all the info on ur local area...

http://magicseaweed.com/Strandhill-Surf-Report/51/

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I am starting this thread because I would love to start Surfing. I am going to be in Sligo for the next four/five years (Summers not included). I am looking for information and also hearing from people who would like to share their surfing experiences in Sligo and outside of Sligo. Any information on the following questions below would be of huge benefit to me and other people interested in surfing here.

[1] People currently are involved in the sport of surfing in Sligo
    [2] Benefits of the sport and what clubs/societies are present in Sligo
    [3] Information on the right gear to wear while surfing
    [4] Places of interest and great surfing locations in Sligo
    [5] Any other information

Thanks in advance.

DenMan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Strandhill is dangerous because of rip tides. Basically a rip tide is water moving rapidly beneath the surface. You could be standing is what looks like perfectly still water, only to have your legs pulled from under you by a rip tide. I believe the triple drowning a few years back was as a result of this. It's normally worse to the south of the car park, but can occur anywhere along the beach.
    Tbh it doesn't affect the surfers as much for several reasons. Firstly the suit and board provide bouyancy. Secondly, you tend to be on the surface more, and thirdly you will be further out in deeper water than where the rip currents would affect you.
    I'm sure it's great when you're into it, but the few times I did it it was freezing (especially crotch and armpits) and the rocks in the waves made my shins look like I'd been attacked by a dwarve witha baseball bat. And there's an awful lot of "casual" surfers who rarely surf but wander around posing in the gear and talk about nothing else. Annoying sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

what age can kids begin to surf? how old were you all when you started?

just got this mail from the Beach Hotel in Mullaghmore....

"We have a very good swimming instructor that can take one to one lessons. She can get into the water along with you if it would help you feel more confident. If you have any other questions just call us on 07191 66103 or send us an e mail."

That's terrific news Cypresstree, thanks for that. :)

• Advertisement

Sorry to bump my old thread here but I'm joining the IT Sligo Surfing Club when I'm back in college. Has anybody ever been in it before? It sounds really exciting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I really should learn to read properly....I thought this said Smurfing in Sligo:rolleyes:

Advertisement