Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me pick a new car

Options
  • 06-07-2008 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Okay here's the story, a couple of months ago I wrote off my first car it was a '08 seat ibiza 1.4 sport. Anyway the insurance claim took forever so I bought myself a '96 civic to keep me goin'. So i'm picking up my new car on saturday but its the 5dr model instead of the 3dr that I had. I argued with the insurance company as I didn't want a 5 door(ugly) but the there's a 4 month waiting list for a 3 door sport and they won't order one. So i asked for a settlement instead, that way i'd be free to shop around but they refused to pay more than 12000 and considering it cost me nearly 17000 two months previously that wasn't an option.
    So now I'm planning to sell the new car straight away or trade it in. I was hoping for some advice on what to look at. Year doesn't bother me, I was thinking maybe a 04 leon or golf or maybe a 98-00 civic coupe. But i'm only 17 so insurance is a huge factor(emphasis on HUGE!) so i'm looking for ideally a 1.4-1.6 definitely nothing less than a 1.4 as i'm used to the 100 ponies in the ibiza:D Also it has to be petrol.

Cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

How the hell can you afford a 17k car when your 17????

Anyway, I got myself an Alfa 147 recently and have never looked back, much better than out any Golf or Ibiza. There a 1.6 petrol so insurance isnt to mental, though it you may be looking at a 1litre if you wrote off your last car.

But there an amazing drive is the 147, the noise out of the Tspark and also that "soul" or whatever the lads on Top Gear go on about (its so true, there is something about them).

Other than that, a 01model 1.4 Civic Sport would be nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

How the hell can you afford a 17k car when your 17????

..at the risk of sounding like a prat my parents helped me(alot!) It caused me alot of abuse from friends but went well with the ladies:)

Yeah the alfa looks lyk a nice car. Saw that whole alfa passion thing earlier on top gear too! Are they reliable?

I know the insurance will be high but i'd rather not get a 1 litre just wouldn't feel safe.

forgot.... the civic sport is also a good option. I was looking at this one earlier: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Civic/1.4S-STUNNER/1112277/
    Just I know most fellas drive civics very hard so it could be rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Thanks Tony but i don't really like focus's, well except for the ST but....insurance:rolleyes: Can't fault them but just not for me.
    Anyone have any opinions on an audi a3? look tempting but kinda expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Anyone see tonight's Top Gear? There was plenty about Alfa's legendary reliability there tonight in the Alfa challenge.

Focus 1.6 ftw though:D!

Late 90s Civic coupé is a girls car if ever I saw one. I'm sorry but no matter how good it may be underneath it just looks so feminine. The chicks will think you're gay if you drive one of those, and worse, your friends will too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

New Mazda 2 1.5 Sport??

E92 wrote: »
    Anyone see tonight's Top Gear? There was plenty about Alfa's legendary reliability there tonight in the Alfa challenge.

Focus 1.6 ftw though:D!

Late 90s Civic coupé is a girls car if ever I saw one. I'm sorry but no matter how good it may be underneath it just looks so feminine. The chicks will think you're gay if you drive one of those, and worse, your friends will too.

Have to say i've never seen a woman driving a civic coupe but then again...
    But I did used to drive an ibiza though so there were quite a few gay jokes from the lads.....well until they saw it could outrun anything they had:D

jonny24ie wrote: »
    New Mazda 2 1.5 Sport??

Not bad, but is it me or does the mazda 2 look like the new mk5 ibiza :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

17... wrote off first car...

I think a 5 year old 1L Nissan Micra, until you learn roadskills. Nice to see you are so flush with cash that you can just buy and sell cars on a whim.

BTW, you will have difficulty selling a nearly new Ibiza in the current climate. Nearly new cars don't seem to be selling as people would prefer to buy new with all the advantages of buying new from a main dealer. Otherwise older cars are selling better than newer ones - you would want to advertise it at a rediculously low price IMO.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    17... wrote off first car...

I think a 5 year old 1L Nissan Micra, until you learn roadskills. Nice to see you are so flush with cash that you can just buy and sell cars on a whim.

BTW, you will have difficulty selling a nearly new Ibiza in the current climate. Nearly new cars don't seem to be selling as people would prefer to buy new with all the advantages of buying new from a main dealer. Otherwise older cars are selling better than newer ones - you would want to advertise it at a rediculously low price IMO.

To be fair it was caused by a blow out and Yep, I know it'll be difficult but i'm patient;) also the dealer is my cousin and he's trying to help me shift it before its even registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

maclad wrote: »
    a 1 litre just wouldn't feel safe.

Says the fella that wrote off a 1.4 :D

vectra wrote: »
    Says the fella that wrote off a 1.4 :D

Errrr...not really sure what you mean by that but if this is what happens to a solid car then I definitely wouldn't have walked out of an old 1litre micra for example.
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/killowry/SHFeaYO71OI/AAAAAAAAAEY/WoFoQ3plh-s/13052008%28001%29.jpg?imgmax=512

Also please i'm only looking for advice on buying a car so there's no need for comments like that. Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Had a Civic Coupe myself many moons ago. 1997 LSi, one of only a handful in the country at the time. Black, looked stunning when it was clean. The Ek Coupe is probably the best looking Civic *ever*. :cool:

If your insurance would stretch to it (doubt it), a Civic Coupe VTI would be very nice.

EDIT: As for it's gayness, yes, I remember that pantheon of gayness, the Fast and the Furious, and how all the fairies like Vin Diesel, Paul Weller and Michelle Rodriguez were driving Civic Coupes whilst robbing other, burly fairies driving artics and carrying shotguns:D

JHMEG wrote: »
    Had a Civic Coupe myself many moons ago. 1997 LSi, one of only a handful in the country at the time. Black, looked stunning when it was clean. The Ek Coupe is probably the best looking Civic *ever*. :cool:

If your insurance would stretch to it (doubt it), a Civic Coupe VTI would be very nice.

Have to agree with you there the ek coupe is my fav of civics too. I must get some insurance quotes tomorrow(and try not to cry:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 barler

maclad wrote: »
    forgot.... the civic sport is also a good option. I was looking at this one earlier: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Civic/1.4S-STUNNER/1112277/
    Just I know most fellas drive civics very hard so it could be rough

i know of the lad sellin that car if u want more info on it pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Bobo78 wrote: »

based on 22 000 miles of driving experience about that car, ANY car in the marked is better than that one!

And for the topic starter, how did you manage to write off your car, quite much of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What about the new SEAT Ibiza ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

+1 for the 147, insurance should be cheaper than most other 1.6s in the class

• Advertisement

mthd wrote: »

I thought Alfa's attracted higher premiums due to their sporting heritage?

There is a less powerful 105bhp version for less experienced drivers which might suit the OP.

barler wrote: »
    i know of the lad sellin that car if u want more info on it pm me

That would be great. Thanks!

Bobo: Think that could be too much of a lightweight:rolleyes:

itarumaa wrote: »
    based on 22 000 miles of driving experience about that car, ANY car in the marked is better than that one!

And for the topic starter, how did you manage to write off your car, quite much of damage.

Well it started with a blow out on a dual carriage way then the car drifted off the tarmac and i guess it hit something as it started to spin then it rolled over(x3) eventually hitting the crash barrier on the opposite side.

vectra wrote: »
    What about the new SEAT Ibiza ?

It's only readily available in 1.2 and having had experience with the 1.2 engine I can say it is the worst engine I have ever come across, very under powered and whiny. It actually sounds like a diesel:confused:

Alfa 147 is definitely appealing. I'll try and get a quote for one today and see how it goes.

Thanks guys:)

Were the tyres damaged previously? You must have been travelling at some speed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why? Engine is relatively powerful for a 1.6 and parts are expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

Why? Engine is relatively powerful for a 1.6 and parts are expensive.

I guess its because not many young guys drive them, but i consistently cheaper
    quotes than similar lagunas, civics, golfs etc

I guess its because not many young guys drive them, but i consistently cheaper
    quotes than similar lagunas, civics, golfs etc

I have to question this. We have had Alfas in the family going back years, and it was always difficult to get insurance on them for young drivers. There was a stage when insurance companies would not even quote young drivers on an Alfa, no matter what model.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Were the tyres damaged previously? You must have been travelling at some speed.

I don't think they were but the accessor ruled it as low tyre pressure which was absolute bull sh*t as I checked them a few days before and besides there was no air left in any of tyres and the culprit tyre was completely ripped off so it would be impossible to know for sure. As for speed, only 60-65 mph so there must have been a fault with the tyre or the rim

• Advertisement

I reckon a 17 year old in Limerick with a full license will pay about €2500-€3000pa on a 147. I don't know how this compares with other cars for that age group.

Advertisement