Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me pick a new car

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

maclad wrote: »
    Okay here's the story, a couple of months ago I wrote off my first car it was a '08 seat ibiza 1.4 sport. Anyway the insurance claim took forever so I bought myself a '96 civic to keep me goin'. So i'm picking up my new car on saturday but its the 5dr model instead of the 3dr that I had. I argued with the insurance company as I didn't want a 5 door(ugly) but the there's a 4 month waiting list for a 3 door sport and they won't order one. So i asked for a settlement instead, that way i'd be free to shop around but they refused to pay more than 12000 and considering it cost me nearly 17000 two months previously that wasn't an option.
    So now I'm planning to sell the new car straight away or trade it in. I was hoping for some advice on what to look at. Year doesn't bother me, I was thinking maybe a 04 leon or golf or maybe a 98-00 civic coupe. But i'm only 17 so insurance is a huge factor(emphasis on HUGE!) so i'm looking for ideally a 1.4-1.6 definitely nothing less than a 1.4 as i'm used to the 100 ponies in the ibiza:D Also it has to be petrol.

Cheers:)

you sound like a type of buy racer as you dont want a decent good car but instead a audi or a civic...maybe buy a bottle of cop on because you are only 17:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

dubman25 wrote: »
    you sound like a type of buy racer as you dont want a decent good car but instead a audi or a civic...maybe buy a bottle of cop on because you are only 17:)

Well...you are clearly misinformed. How many boy racers do you see driving a 1.6 audi A3? as for the civic, its a decent car, wouldn't be touching bodykits or loud exhausts. If I was a boy racer then I would be looking for something completely different like a glanza/gsr/type r/levin/altezza. I'm looking for a decent car that won't draw too much attention from the law:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Well...you are clearly misinformed. How many boy racers do you see driving a 1.6 audi A3?

Plenty of Boy Racers around here in Audi A3's

. I'm looking for a decent car that won't draw too much attention from the law:D

You will get plenty of attention from the law by putting cars on their roof @ 17 :D
    I don't think they were but the accessor ruled it as low tyre pressure which was absolute bull sh*t as I checked them a few days before and besides there was no air left in any of tyres and the culprit tyre was completely ripped off so it would be impossible to know for sure. As for speed, only 60-65 mph so there must have been a fault with the tyre or the rim

Maybe Flipped it at 60/65 and ripped the tyre of in the process :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Hey maclad, i'm selling a 03 leon, pm me if you're interested.
    A3 is a lovely car, bit expensive i reckon though, plenty of golf 1.4's on carzone at the moment and a few bargains could be had

td: I'll probably have to buy from a dealer and trade in my own. But if my manage to sell mine then i'll drop you a pm ,is it a 1.4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have to question this. We have had Alfas in the family going back years, and it was always difficult to get insurance on them for young drivers. There was a stage when insurance companies would not even quote young drivers on an Alfa, no matter what model.

I'm just speaking from my own experience with my 147, €1800 fully comp or €1500 tpft with quinn

Yeah probably makes more sense to trade in at the moment. Yep 1.4, insurance was around 1000, 2 years ncb, and on provisional. Going to oz in September, thinking about getting a cupra r when i get back! (if i get my driving test by then! :mad:)

mthd wrote: »
    I'm just speaking from my own experience with my 147, €1800 fully comp or €1500 tpft with quinn

Hibernian qouted me €2400 fully comp on a 147, which is fairly expensive considering my insurance used to be €1400:(

td2008 wrote: »
    Yeah probably makes more sense to trade in at the moment. Yep 1.4, insurance was around 1000, 2 years ncb, and on provisional. Going to oz in September, thinking about getting a cupra r when i get back! (if i get my driving test by then! :mad:)

Only 1k? what age are ya? Would love a cupra meself.....bloody insurance:rolleyes:

24, thats with quinn direct, 3rd party. Comprehensive was about 1400.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sorry maclad but it's difficult not to be a bit suspicious of a 17 y.o. involved in a high speed writeoff talking about clueless assessors, and quickish cars.

It sounds very like you are a serial speeder to me at least.

Sorry maclad but it's difficult not to be a bit suspicious of a 17 y.o. involved in a high speed writeoff talking about clueless assessors, and quickish cars.

It sounds very like you are a serial speeder to me at least.

This is my f*cking problem no one believes that i wasn't going very fast. For god sake the only people who believed me were the gardai as there were witnesses who stated that I was not going excessively fast and that I was in the slow lane.
    I know i'm 17 but i'm not an idiot. So many people just assume oh he's 17 and crashed a car...therefore he's a boy racer. I mean it was a seat ibiza like that doesn't exactly scream fast car;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Lads, there's a lot of presumption about maclad being a bad driver or speeding just because of his age and having a new motor. Seriously, I would have expected more bitchiness in the Ladies Lounge rather then the motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

For god sake the only people who believed me were the gardai as there were witnesses who stated that I was not going excessively fast and that I was in the slow lane.

Were they chasing you? :pac: I jest, I jest.

2,400 is not at all bad for insurance for a 17yr old, I dunno how you got 1,400 first time around!

147 would be nice. Why not keep the new car though?, is it just the looks that put you off?

Cionád wrote: »
    Were they chasing you? :pac: I jest, I jest.

2,400 is not at all bad for insurance for a 17yr old, I dunno how you got 1,400 first time around!

147 would be nice. Why not keep the new car though?, is it just the looks that put you off?

Well, the looks but also with the 3dr sport is very rare whereas the 5drs are everywhere mostly 1.2 base models driven by old women:rolleyes: Ideally i'd love something like this: http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/AUDI+A3/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-110-210-240-4294966334-4294966997/advert.action?R=200827313777909&distance=8&postcode=E98+1NW&channel=CARS&make=AUDI&model=A3&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=
    the vrt is a little over 3k so it would be cheaper than one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Hibernian qouted me €2400 fully comp on a 147, which is fairly expensive considering my insurance used to be €1400:(

How can you say that, you've just made a claim for around 18K after one year.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

How can you say that, you've just made a claim for around 18K after one year.

I suppose you have a point:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Your insurance has agreed to pay out on the claim. I would insist on getting like for like - you have a car to do you while waiting for the new one.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Your insurance has agreed to pay out on the claim. I would insist on getting like for like - you have a car to do you while waiting for the new one.

I've been through that with them several times but in their eyes they're replacing a black 1.4 ibiza with a black 1.4 ibiza. Tbh i'm sick of arguing,it took nearly two months for them to offer a replacement. The number of doors isn't on their agenda:( But I know other people who have come out worse from insurance claims like a friend who got a replacement car with more than double the mileage of her own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

delly wrote: »
    Lads, there's a lot of presumption about maclad being a bad driver or speeding just because of his age and having a new motor. Seriously, I would have expected more bitchiness in the Ladies Lounge rather then the motors forum.

What do you expect? :rolleyes:

I don't want to tempt fate but how the hell do you roll 3 times from a motorway accident at a sensible speed (as he states)???? At best a tyre blew out and he didn't have the experience or skill to gather it all up safely.

We really need better training/regulation of young drivers when we have parents who seem intent on spoiling their pampered offspring by plonking them in new motors as soon as they leave the kindergarden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

delly wrote: »

OP has already said that he was doing 60-65mph on a dual carriageway.

He also said the ins. assessor was incorrect in diagnosing a low tyre pressure as a cause of this accident. These guys know their stuff in my experience.

I think your term "bitchiness" is incorrect here. "Suspicion" might be a better word.

OP may be a perfectly good and safe driver, but the evidence and attitude suggests the opposite.

I've no interest in an argument here btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

But I did used to drive an ibiza though so there were quite a few gay jokes from the lads.....well until they saw it could outrun anything they had:D

Which of your mates were you racing when you crashed?

or perhaps your tyre was damaged in a previous race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Which of your mates were you racing when you crashed?

or perhaps your tyre was damaged in a previous race?
    Off the high horse with ya. It's a 1.4 Ibiza ffs.

Lads f off, I'm only looking for advice on buying a new car can I please get help here from a mod. Oh and by outrun I meant on a rolling road thing at a car show:P And yes the crash probably was down to lack of experience I never denied that. What I meant by doubting the assessor is how could he know if the tyre pressure was too low if all the tyres were flat or torn off:confused:

JHMEG wrote: »
    Off the high horse with ya. It's a 1.4 Ibiza ffs.

Thanks JHMEG:pac:

Oh and by outrun I meant on a rolling road thing at a car show

I don't believe you.
    what car show?
    and all your mates paid to have their cars tested as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OP may be a perfectly good and safe driver, but the evidence and attitude suggests the opposite.
    This isn't an investigation. The OP is looking for suggestions for a new car.

I don't believe you.
    what car show?
    and all your mates paid to have their cars tested as well?

Mods? This guy is sh*ting all over my thread. Thanks:D

Quite correct. It's a public messageboard where people express opinions.

• Advertisement

sorry got distracted by OP's bragging how he could outrun his mates, and impress the ladies with his car.

My suggestion is he shouldn't be driving any car.

Advertisement