Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me pick a new car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have to say, that I am concerned that the OP may not be particularly skilled in roadcraft & would therefore repeat my advice that he should look at a 5 year old 1L Nissan Micra. He did ask for advice on what car to buy.

I would also suggest from what I've read that he is not necessarily lying to us, but is maybe lying to himself regarding his ability to drive safely.

I'm too lazy to read back through the thread, but did the OP state whether he had completed a basic competency test & is licensed to drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Quite correct. It's a public messageboard where people express opinions.
    Yes, ones that the weren't asked for and having nothing to do with the thread topic.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Yes, ones that the weren't asked for and having nothing to do with the thread topic.

The OP wants advice on what car to get, the other posters are just trying to get the facts in order to be able to dispense the correct advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have to say, that I am concerned that the OP may not be particularly skilled in roadcraft & would therefore repeat my advice that he should look at a 5 year old 1L Nissan Micra. He did ask for advice on what car to buy.

I would also suggest from what I've read that he is not necessarily lying to us, but is maybe lying to himself regarding his ability to drive safely.

I'm too lazy to read back through the thread, but did the OP state whether he had completed a basic competency test & is licensed to drive?

I know I don't have much experience and i'm not lying to myself about it and yes I have passed my driving test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

My opinion, register a new name and ask a question like:

any opinions on what car to a replace a 1.4 seat Ibiza?

IF you give them ammunition they will fire it back at you, stating that you got a brand new car from your parents while you were 17 and wrote it off which you really regret because it was faster than all your friends cars and have now bought a honda civic to replace it!!
    you might as well have said you wanted to buy an SUV:D

• Advertisement

Good point.....but there will always be someone:rolleyes:

Slig wrote: »
    you might as well have said you wanted to buy an SUV:D

#@!£ Don't get me started on SUVs #@!£

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Slig makes a good point, I suggest you re-post and avoid the unnecessary lynching - this thread is bound to be locked.

maybe...
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/Zetec-Connection(High/1049605/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/S40/1.6-SE/973373/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Love watching them crawl out of the woodwork.....

Bluefoam\cormac_byrne\Henry Ford III: No one cares about your opinion on the OP's driving skills.

Always amazes me how people make such informed judegments on others abilities despite knowing nothing about them.

No one cares what you think! Go trot off on that high horse to another forum.

Ok...Mods can you please lock the thread.

Thanks in advance:)

• Advertisement

Please don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Why don't you just keep ****ing the new Ibiza?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

*Tripper* wrote: »

He was ****ing the Ibiza? :eek:

Well with what happened to the old one I don't know what he was doing to the poor thing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

quarryman wrote: »
    Love watching them crawl out of the woodwork.....

Bluefoam\cormac_byrne\Henry Ford III: No one cares about your opinion on the OP's driving skills.

Always amazes me how people make such informed judegments on others abilities despite knowing nothing about them.

No one cares what you think! Go trot off on that high horse to another forum.

Pot...kettle...black :D

It's an internet forum if they can't pass judgement on other people without knowledge what the hell can they do?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Maclad what do you think about this car:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/156/1.6-T.Spark/1111066/

I sure think that this is very nice car;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

thread provisionally locked while i ponder to whom I will have a stern talking to

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

pburns wrote: »
    What do you expect? :rolleyes:

I don't want to tempt fate but how the hell do you roll 3 times from a motorway accident at a sensible speed (as he states)???? At best a tyre blew out and he didn't have the experience or skill to gather it all up safely.

We really need better training/regulation of young drivers when we have parents who seem intent on spoiling their pampered offspring by plonking them in new motors as soon as they leave the kindergarden.
    Which of your mates were you racing when you crashed?

or perhaps your tyre was damaged in a previous race?
    *Tripper* wrote: »

The above gentlemen to receive a formal warning/infraction each.

All credit to High horses and suspiscions ...but the above post are just utter crapology.

Now please get back to recommending a car to this young man ...any further accusations and off topic nonsens will result in a ban, understood?

So maclad what kinda car is it gonna be - how about style & substance...

... Fiat 500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@maclad - fair play to you for reacting in such a mature way to some not so nice posts directed at ya. Begrudgery is ugly, folks. I'll have none of that on here thanks.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    So maclad what kinda car is it gonna be - how about style & substance...

... Fiat 500

What a beaut! If I were the OP, I'd only want one car. That one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Seat Leon all the way!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

well,

some ideas,

Alfa 147, Audi A3

Citroen C4 if you are really brave:)

Fiat 500,

Mazda3

Mini Cooper

Peugeot 207

Suzuki Swift

I think all of these cars have something interesting about them, you can drive the boring ones later in your life, really no point to buy something boring like Corolla now, if you have a change to get something more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Slig wrote: »
    Seat Leon all the way!!!

+1
    Great car
    get the one with the full body kit on it in white
    Looks class :cool:

well...at the moment my favourites would be a leon or an a3. I suppose a leon would be handy to pick up as a trade with a seat dealer, i guess i'd be looking around the 04 mark:cool:
    Thanks to all of those who have helped so far:pac:

maclad wrote: »
    well...at the moment my favourites would be a leon or an a3. I suppose a leon would be handy to pick up as a trade with a seat dealer, i guess i'd be looking around the 04 mark:cool:
    Thanks to all of those who have helped so far:pac:

I dont know how you are for funding but.
    If you own the ibiza funds.
    Could you not stretch a loan and go for something like this leon?
    >> Kitted Leon :cool:

vectra wrote: »
    I dont know how you are for funding but.
    If you own the ibiza funds.
    Could you not stretch a loan and go for something like this leon?
    >> Kitted Leon :cool:

OMG:)I want that car!!!, I wish I could but i already have a student loan over my head so borrowing 12k or so is out of the question:(

maclad wrote: »
    OMG:)I want that car!!!, I wish I could but i already have a student loan over my head so borrowing 12k or so is out of the question:(

Sorry for upsetting you :o
    :D

You could always go for a 05 Leon and put that kit on it?
    Including wheels/Twin Exhaust etc. I think it comes to just over 3K ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 glenamaddy

A Peugeot 308 3dr 1.4cc would be a great looking car with unreal power and holding!!! just bought one a few weeks ago!!!! Never been so happy with a new car........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

glenamaddy wrote: »
    A Peugeot 308 3dr 1.4cc would be a great looking car with unreal power and holding!!! just bought one a few weeks ago!!!! Never been so happy with a new car........

unreal as in unreal slow?

0-60 in 13 seconds? I know they depreciate heavily, but they don't fall into the OP's budget yet.

Congrats on the new car by the way. nice looking.

Advertisement