Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Hats off to Roy Harper

• 06-07-2008 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

You know how you can spend a lifetime being aware of an artist while never actually bothering to check them out properly? In my case that applies to many acts including Roy Harper, I was aware of him since the song that Led Zep named after him on 1975 Physical Graffitti. I also knew When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease which is one of the greatest songs ever and of course his lead vocals on the Floyds Have A Cigar and yet its only now I've finally "Gone Harper".

Solo

with David Gilmour

with Jimmy Page

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

mike65 wrote: »
    I was aware of him since the song that Led Zep named after him on 1975 Zeppelin III.

Fixed that for you:pac:

In the same kinda way I went to check him out a few years ago and started with Stormcock which I liked and then got What ever happened to Jugular which I thought was one of the most god-awful albums I've ever heard (I put this down to Page being in the pits of smack hell), so I didn't bother anymore. Maybe time to give them another spin. One man R&r band is great:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I have tried to get into him too, as he is very well lauded by most 70's musicians. All the parts are there for me to like him but I just can't warm to it, can't put my finger on it but I just think his roll in the grand scheme of things is a bit overstated. I would prefer Robert Wyatt or Richard Thompson anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

MoominPapa :o

/shuffles off looking at shoes.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

mike65 wrote: »
    I was aware of him since the song that Led Zep named after him on 1970 Led Zeppelin III.

Fixed it properly for you (and Mr. Pedantic up there!) :D

When A old Cricketer Leaves the Crease is a great song, all right, I think I heard it first on Dave Fanning of all people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

blastman wrote: »
    Fixed it properly for you (and Mr. Pedantic up there!) :D

When A old Cricketer Leaves the Crease is a great song, all right, I think I heard it first on Dave Fanning of all people

Actually to be totally pedantic the song is called

Hats off to (Roy) Harper :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone is a gonna die roaring!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

damonjewel wrote: »
    Actually to be totally pedantic the song is called

Hats off to (Roy) Harper :pac:

I know, that wasn't the subject of the pedantic competition, though. :)

Advertisement