Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 and stuck

Options
  • 07-07-2008 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi maybe someone has a few suggestions. My situation:

I work fulltime, cover expensive loan repayments, plus maintenance for my baby, plus rent, bills etc...

I got 240 in my Leaving cert which is terrible but I had a horrible experience in school so I didn't study.

I want to get into film-making/similar type of media. I have alot of imagination and I've neglected this side of myself for too long.

Simple solution: don't try. I have responsibilities and I can't afford to not work. But what pi$$es me off is that the grants and allowances are aimed at people who've been out of work on Jobseekers. I've worked since I was 15, fulltime since I was 17, and yet I'm not eligible. What a load of crap.

If I stay in the job, I'll need to do a home study course, or evening (which would be difficult due to my hours of work).

Anyway the system seems unfairly steered towards people who haven't worked. Yes disabilities and impairments should of course be taken into account---I would never criticise that side of things---but if I'd been on the Dole for 12 months, I could get so much money from the government. But I didn't. I worked.

Sorry for the rant, but now I'm stuck, and it feels so unfair.

So what do I do? Any ideas? Again sorry for the rant but I've wasted so much time ignoring what I've always wanted to do. I hate my job and I hate that I've taken the wrong path. But changing all that seems nigh on impossible, financially!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Is it possible to do a FAS course in your desired area and get some maintenance while you are doing it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi OP

If you have that creative side of you then you do need to explore it. I know you spoke about covering loan repayments and looking after your baby. If you need to explore your creative side then you need to further your education. Is there anyway you can return to full time education and look after your baby at the same time. Do have family and support (partner, parents etc). The way the system works is geared towards people in full time education rather than part time. If you were looking for a grant, back to education allowance you have to be enrolled as a full time student to avail of these options. If that realistically is not an option for you right now then you should consider something part time, something you can commit to and really start to develop an interest in your chosen field.

Regarding your interest in film making. Would you be interested in the writing phase of film making, the actual production side or on the final stage (post production) Right now I am working with a production company helping them with their script for a potential film. What I am doing is going over the original draft that was written and am making it into a Treatment, the first stage for submitting for funding. I love it. I worked in the UK and Malta in both Film/TV and want to pursue a career out of it. I have been accepted and will be returning to full time education this September at 28. I can't wait. I have the experience but now need the educational qualification to compliment it. You have a lot to give creatively and need to express yourself. If you want you can send me a PM and we could start to work on something, a script for a film maybe, anything that comes to mind. In the mean time why not start on a short story to give you an idea of working with your mind. It will be a great place to start and will give you a solid foundation to begin with.

Here are some useful links for you to look at (if you haven't been to them before)

www.filmbase.ie

www.iftn.ie (industry in Ireland)

www.screentrainingireland.ie (ran by FAS)

http://www.writingmovies.net/

All great links with a lot of information to get you started. Good luck OP and if you need to contact me, please do. Let your creativity begin.

DenMan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

IamBeowulf wrote: »
    Hi maybe someone has a few suggestions. My situation:

I work fulltime, cover expensive loan repayments, plus maintenance for my baby, plus rent, bills etc...

I got 240 in my Leaving cert which is terrible but I had a horrible experience in school so I didn't study.

I want to get into film-making/similar type of media. I have alot of imagination and I've neglected this side of myself for too long.

Simple solution: don't try. I have responsibilities and I can't afford to not work. But what pi$$es me off is that the grants and allowances are aimed at people who've been out of work on Jobseekers. I've worked since I was 15, fulltime since I was 17, and yet I'm not eligible. What a load of crap.

If I stay in the job, I'll need to do a home study course, or evening (which would be difficult due to my hours of work).

Anyway the system seems unfairly steered towards people who haven't worked. Yes disabilities and impairments should of course be taken into account---I would never criticise that side of things---but if I'd been on the Dole for 12 months, I could get so much money from the government. But I didn't. I worked.

Sorry for the rant, but now I'm stuck, and it feels so unfair.

So what do I do? Any ideas? Again sorry for the rant but I've wasted so much time ignoring what I've always wanted to do. I hate my job and I hate that I've taken the wrong path. But changing all that seems nigh on impossible, financially!

I feel excatly the same as you about people being on the dole and getting alot more in the way of financial support.
    I am going back to college in September as a mature student. I too have alot of loans and things, even a mortgage that I only took out last year!:eek:
    I rang up social welfare and inquired would I be entitled to anything more than the standard grant as I had heard about the Back to Education allowance which would pay rent allowance among other things, but no, seeing as I have been a tax payer for the past 4 years I am entitled to nothing.
    I am sick of working dead end jobs so I am making it my misson regardless of missing out on a week wages there is always time for a part-time job.

So if you want to go back to full time education, you definatly should. And maybe you will find that you can live off a lower income, alot of people do:)

Hi OP

Have you decided what you would like to do? I know that financially it will be hard but there really isn't any point in staying in a career in which you feel held back and is draining you mentally. Like what orchidsrpretty just said maybe a short term loss for long term gains is what you really need. Like orchidsrpretty I will be returning to full time education this Sept and am really looking forward to it. I hope you make a decision to return and make sure you pick something out that is really relevant to you and something you really enjoy. You won't be disappointed. The hardest thing in life is to find out what you want to do. Once you find out then the skies the limit. Good luck IamBeowulf.

Hi OP

Have you had the chance to sit down and plan what you would like to do. The are endless possibilities out there and the right course is waiting for you. You would be entitled to the Back to Education Allowance regardless. Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Ack, I'm not alone!!

I'm 24 and have a outgoings as well, for ages (years) I have not had a clue what I wanted to do even though I was always into music.... I have went about business courses and crap but thankfully my super smart younger sister talked me out of committing to something I don't know I'll like....

So....... I am doing an advanced diploma in sound engineering.... I just wonder will I get work from it, though it's something I love anyway so I am going to give it a good lash. I done an intro course for it and completely loved it.

I was just going to f off this year for a couple of years but at least when I eventually do I will have some form of 3rd level education. Ireland doesn't offer degree courses in what I am doing although I could go to the UK, or even Aus for that and even masters if I really want to.

I hope I am making the right decision.

As for the whole grant buzz, I am going to head to the civic offices soon and see what exactly the story is, entitlements etc. I really don't think I SHOULD do full time but like has already been said they tend to facilitate them more. And yes, it is a right pain how the government treats those in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi OP

Have you had the chance to sit down and plan what you would like to do. The are endless possibilities out there and the right course is waiting for you. You would be entitled to the Back to Education Allowance regardless. Hope it works out for you.

Unfortuately to get the BTEA you need to be in receipt of a Social Welfare payment for at least 12 months immediately prior to commencing a thrid level course (or 9 months as part of a NEAPs process) or 6 months for a second level course, (JCert, LCert or FETAC). Periods spent on CE or FAS or in prison can count toward the qualifying period.

If you are entitled to the maintenance grant you could perhaps be eligible for some funding under the Millennium Scholars fund. The Vincent de Paul often has educational funding available in local areas.

Advertisement