Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Downloads

Options
  • 07-07-2008 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just upgraded to 20mb and wanted to test it out but torrents don't work.
    First I tried to update MGS4 via the torrent option but it goes at like 20kb a second and then its the same for uTorrent. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

hey cow i'm sure there is ports to be opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

yes open the ports and test it within the client

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Torrents always start of slow... test the HTTP download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Download this:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download Pick Ireland HEAnet as location.

Tell us what speed your getting after a few mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

How do I open the ports though? I went to Portforward.com and put in the port needed to be opened and then it asked me to go to my router's homepage but I can't get to it since I don't know what IP address to put in. I went to Netgear's support page and the IP address they have for it didn't work either.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Download this:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download Pick Ireland HEAnet as location.

Tell us what speed your getting after a few mins

2.2mb

your getting good speed then relative to your 20 meg connection

What torrent client are you using?

I would recommend utorrent or azueres.

Yo open a port you need to do it within your router configuration page, usually called
    nat, then define a server with the port u wish to use.

Are you able to log into your router from your pc/laptop?
    Im not sure how the setup is on NTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

2.2mb

Your mixing up MB (Megabyte) and Mbps (Megabits per second)
    Your downloading at 2.2MB which is:
    2.2x1024=2252 (because a MB is 1024 bytes) then x8=18016Kbps (because there are 8 bits in a byte)
    18016Kbps=18Mbps

You've got nearly the full speed of your connection, 18Mbps

ye but i think he wants to configure his torrent client so that they have good speeds , not just testing the direct speed from a http line

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you're using the netgear wireless router that comes with NTL, the address for configuring it is http://192.168.1.1/ the username is admin and I think the default password is either password or Password (you should change this). The option for port forwarding is down on the left.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Your mixing up MB (Megabyte) and Mbps (Megabits per second)
    Your downloading at 2.2MB which is:
    2.2x1024=2252 (because a MB is 1024 bytes) then x8=18016Kbps (because there are 8 bits in a byte)
    18016Kbps=18Mbps

You've got nearly the full speed of your connection, 18Mbps

I was talking about Torrents. I know direct downloads are fast

The router page has an option for portforwarding. It gives me these options:
    FTP
    HTTP
    ICUII
    IP_PHONE
    Net Meeting (1503)
    Net Meeting (1720)
    News
    PPTP
    Telnet

Do any of those apply to torrents?

The router page has an option for portforwarding. It gives me these options:
    FTP
    HTTP
    ICUII
    IP_PHONE
    Net Meeting (1503)
    Net Meeting (1720)
    News
    PPTP
    Telnet

Do any of those apply to torrents?

dont u see Nat or post forwarding anywhere?

It probably comes under some advanced tab...

screenshot the page and post it here?

It's the same tab, the router calls each set of ports you forward a 'service', the one's listed are just presets which will forward the ports for those applications. What you're looking for is the 'Add Service' (or maybe it's Add Custom Service) on that page, then put in the settings from portforward.com

I keep in getting "Warning triggering error. Returning to previous page" when port forwarding on the netgear router homepage.

i think it does that if ya have another device connected and ur tryin to forward the same port to 2 devices, afaik the 360 uses tcp80 aswell and a few people had problems tryin to forward ports with it connected, try just disconnect everythin else while ya forward them

I've never seen that error, but when you're on the port forwarding page there's radio buttons to select between port forwarding and port triggering, do you have port triggering selected by any chance? Should be port forwarding selected.

I have Port forwarding connected. I'll try that guil

Well whaddaya know guil was right! The Wii was the only external device on the service at the moment so I unplugged it and it worked!

Me luv u long time guil

I'm getting faster downloads... went up from like 11kbps to 100kbps but its still pretty slow :(

• Advertisement

That would seem to indicate you're connecting ok now. Torrents can be funny speed wise, some torrents will shoot down, others will crawl for days, some will sit at 5kbs for hours then shoot up to 400kbs, then back down to 20 or 30. It all depends on the people you are connected to and what rates they're uploading at. You need to try a efw torrents over a period of time to get a true idea of your speed.

Something a lot of us on UPC have found usefull is enabling encryption in your torrent client, that can result in much better speeds.

Another thing that can make a difference is your upload speed, in theory the faster you upload, the faster you can download as well, but at the same time you don't want to upload too fast, if you're uploading near the top end of your limit that can slow your downloads. I haven't experimented too much but but I think with the 20Mbs package we should be able to upload at at least 100kbs. Lastly with that much download speed it could be good to increase the max connections allowed and such, again I haven't experimented with that yet.

It can take a lot of experimenting to get the most out of your connection. Actually it would be great if someone who understand torrents better could experiment and find the best settings and post them for all of us?

I thought it would remain slow because NTL traffic shape don't they?

i dont think they do anymore and i'm always right cow ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Unless the torrent is highly seeded... with your connection, you probably won't get max download speeds (of approx. 2300KB/s).

Say you have a torrent with 20 seeders - if they have a max upload of 50KB/s, that's a theoretical download speed of 1000KB/s.

So in this case, you need 50 seeders all with a 512KB upload connection and giving it a 100% to the torrent your downloading... but only if your the only peer. More peers will obviously help but it all depends on the peers speeds, location, firewall, speed limits etc.

To get max speeds, try stick with ones with 100+ seeders / peers and if possible, use a private torrent site.

PS: If you would like an invite to one, just PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

There was a sticky about this that was unstickied a while ago. There is a link in the new p2p thread afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Try downloading the ubuntu torrent (http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/) go to the bottom of that page and select any of the .torrent files, let it run for 5 minutes to get an average (it maxed my 3Mb connection out in 20 seconds) and post results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

All you need to adjust in utorrent is the global max connection and max number of peers. Set both to 200. You do this by clicking options , then preferences and then bittorrent. You can leave the upload rate unlimited in the connection window of the preferences as each individual torrents speed can be adjusted in the main window by right clicking on the file and then bandwidth allocation. The first time you click on it you will only be able to limit it to 25 but if you click it again you have the option of limiting it to 10, on a third attempt you can limit it lower again if you want. It's handier to limit them this way as you may want to upload a particular torrent faster than the others. Also enable encryption, this can be done by clicking on the hopefully green ball at the bottom on the main utorrent window.

Advertisement