Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Hero vs Rock Band

Options
  • 07-07-2008 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Alright People ! Need a bit of advice thinking of buying Guitar Hero 3 after playing the demo on Xbox Live and getting addicted with just a normal controller.

So Few Questions:

Is the Guitar essential for it ?

Can you get a drum kit for Guitar Hero 3 ? Or is that just Rock Band ? Is Rock Band better with two players with a drum and guitar ? ( Two players is not essential but would be nice)

Which game has the better catalog of songs?

P.S Thanks to anyone who can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

YES! it sorta defeats the point of the whole game without the guitar imo. the only other method i've used to play is the keyboard in PC version of GH3 and its pretty horrible
    Can you get a drum kit for Guitar Hero 3 ? Or is that just Rock Band ? Is Rock Band better with two players with a drum and guitar ? ( Two players is not essential but would be nice)

No drum kit in guitar hero 3 but the forthcoming GH4 will have drums but how well its all implemented compared to RB is still to be seen. Rock Band is a much more fun experience with 2 people (4 especially), as is guitar hero but its not essential and you'll still have a great deal of fun on your own but for pure multiplayer fun rock band is certainly better than guitar hero as its got a really nice in depth multiplayer band career.

Rock Band easily has the better catalogue of songs and thats before you even factor in the DLC. Its got a great mix of classics and new stuff aswell as over 100 tracks to download, a load of which is fantastic, with them bringing out new stuff every week for the forseeable future (and it was recently announced that after RB2 comes out the future DLC will still be compatible with RB1).

GH3 has a pretty good catalogue aswell but tbh I would definitly pick GH2 over GH3.

you've a number of options there, but it really comes down to how much your willing to spend. The rock band complete set (game, drums, guitar and mic) costs €200 (180 w/ student d/c) in hmv with 2100 ms points so its pretty expensive but damn worth it imo. Only problem with that is the RB guitar dosn't work with any of the guitar hero games but GH guitars work with RB. So another approach you could take would be just to get the GH2 or GH3 pack and then you've got a guitar that works with both GH and RB and you could get rock band seperately at a later date and possibly a drum kit (and remember the xbox headset works as a mic for singing in RB).

Also if you got the GH3 pack you could pick up GH2 on its own sans guitar for cheap.

The way i went was i got GH3 for PC (which comes with xbox guitar) last november (before i had an xbox) for €60 and since then i got GH2 off ebay for xbox for €20 and when rock band came out i got the instruments and game pack so i can play with the full 4 people (great fun at parties)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Cheers ! will have to go into town and scope it out !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Alright People ! Need a bit of advice thinking of buying Guitar Hero 3 after playing the demo on Xbox Live and getting addicted with just a normal controller.

Welcome to the darkside :D
    So Few Questions:

Definitely, i can't play it without one, i'm all fingers and thumbs.

At present, there's no drum support for GH, however that will be GH4 should support it. Don't expect the instruments to work with it though. Harmonix and RedOctane aren't exactly best of buddies at the minute.

I find both guitar hero and rock band are better played with a buddy, however online play is very addictive! However it can also be soul destroying if you thought that you've become lord and master of the game, think again as there are people online that will literally wipe the floor with you within seconds if you slip.

Drums don't and never will interest me, personally.

And welcome to second gen GH's failing. That said, the original Guitar Hero for PS2 had a nice selection of songs. But Rock Band's DLC just wipes the floor with Guitar Hero, something that may change in time, but Rock Band is definitely in the lead there.
    P.S Thanks to anyone who can help
    Hope it helps.
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Welcome to the darkside :D

Thank because as of today i have entered the darkside ! :) Got the Guitar hero 3 pack in hmv. Will buy G2 later and Rockband drum set and game wont be to far off. played it for hours and its 10/10 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Thank because as of today i have entered the darkside ! :) Got the Guitar hero 3 pack in hmv. Will buy G2 later and Rockband drum set and game wont be to far off. played it for hours and its 10/10 already.

If you think GH3 is 10/10 just wait till you get GH2 and rock band :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

eeee's not wrong. I still dig out GH2 just to play Search And Destroy and Freebird :D
    VR!

Advertisement