Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosting

Options
  • 07-07-2008 2:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I’m a firm believer in the concept of boosting. Ultimately it is good for the game for several reasons:

1. Many players level a main character to level 70, this is a long and arduous process unless you are one of those rare souls that actually enjoy the ennui of grinding and questing. After some time these players who have a sole level 70 character tire of the game and gradually drift away from it. This decreases the player base which seriously undermines our endgame with smaller numbers participating Raids and PvP play.

2. Players who have a variety of classes available at the top level will have better overall game knowledge. It’s inevitable that they will develop deeper knowledge of class functionality. This will improve the quality of play both in PVP and team-based PVE play.

3. Furthermore raids and dungeon-parties will fill faster as players have more roles at their disposal.

All that it takes for this to work is for enclaves of players to commit to the concept and invest a bit of time each day/week.

Furthermore I think it should be prerequisite for players to already have a 70 under their belt before they get boosted. And this is an open proposal. I have spent a lot of my time giving boosts and even giving away large amounts of gold. Maybe a special guild could be created for recognised boosters to have their alts inducted into. I'm sure there must be a way to verify if someone has a genuine 70 on their account. Perhaps they would fill an app citing the alts name and the name of the 70. If their 70 does not reciprocate with boosting then the alt gets kicked from the guild and they get banned in that whichever 70 was used for the nom can no longer avail of the guild. Obviously the nominated 70 isnt required to be a member of the guild they just need to chip in with assistance time.

I think that the most secure to verify that alts and 70s belong to the same account would be for applicants to include a screenshot of their character login page so we could ensure that all toons were under the same account.

Some people have said that having a toon boosted to 70 does not improve game knowledge, I beg to differ.

Furthermore it should be self-evident that they will learn their class at the highest level. They only have to run the outland dungeons on normal mode--while boosting other alts--for a convenient way to learn their new roles while still contributing towards the policy that has gotten them to the top level.

And it doesnt matter that the character isnt extensively used until the highest level because this is when the game really starts. Most of my game knowledge came to fruition at 70 when I began to raid. Farting about in the balsted lands doing crappy % drop rate Qs just keeps you playing the game longer and lines blizzards already overfilled pockets. Obviously they wont get the same playtime under their belts from the earlier levels but they should already be familiar with a lot of the game dynamics and learning their new classes deeper functions is something they will acquire at the upper end of the game. And they won't always have someone available to help them so I'm sure they will get some playtime under their belts from lower levels.

Any feedback other criticism (and please no infantile “I CBA boosting-it’s a waste of my time” comments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

Pity most people are selfish and only out for themselves. "I want a new lvl 70 that I don't even know how to play, but f@ck you. You'll get nothing."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Thoogun

For some reason im waiting for you to invite me on to msn so you can try to log my pc... Anyway, there is a nice guy called Alexturaly on my realm that might be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Dellarocca

I'd be a fan of boosting too. I've got 2 level 70s. I know how hard the grind is.

Currently, I'm levelling a priest (currently 39) along with a mage. It's a great combination and we have very little downtime as I can kill while he is drinking and vice verse. This is much better then levelling alone.

I don't see the point in being power levelled when playing classes like a lock or a hunter as they are pretty self sufficient and have little downtime anyway.

However, it still takes longer then being power-levelled by a much higher level.
    My lock will continuously run about dotting EVERYTHING that moves and this all give small but continuous xp. The same is not true of other classes though. A level 70 mage is a killing machine for sure but has to stop and drink every so often. Same for priest. My brother has both and is always reluctant to run me through instances. He's help out on the odd quest but that's about it. Sort of annoying considering i've got no problem getting my lock out and clearing Jinth'alor in 10-15 mins for his druid.

Anyway, being power-levelled is a good thing if you've got a 70 already. Otherwise, you don't appreciate the time that needs to be invested to get there and don't appreciate the time the other person is giving up.

Failing that, get a questing partner. And stay away from STV :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Some guy was asking for a boost through SM, and not the one instance or anything, he wanted a boost through the armoury, cathedral, graveyard and the other place. He was an alt onviously so I said I will take you through SM for 100g, the loot will be on FFA and it will all be done in under an hour (very possible), he told me that was insane and that he expected 40g or so max.

A boost through 4 instances for 40g?!? In outland you can make 11g per quest...and you can do 25 of those a day...Why on earth would I take 40g for an hours of my time arsing about in SM when i can earn xp/gold and rep with loot that rivals lvl 40-50 epics dropping in outland as green and grey items...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

My point is.

If you don't know them in real life dont boost them.
    Most of the people i find that want boost are out for them selfs in the game and will say thanks and bye, and then look for a boost a few days later again.

I would consider someone if i was a good friends with them in game for a long time.

• Advertisement

Exactly. If I don't know you, then good luck. Unless i'm doing it for a friend and anyway and feeling generous. And only then, if it's a different class to the one I'm boosting.

I had a situation where I boosted 3 guildies before. They did nothing but moan so I had to stick the loot on ML for SM!?!? In the end, they argued so much that I kicked them all and finished it for fun myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Froot wrote: »
    A boost through 4 instances for 40g?!? In outland you can make 11g per quest...and you can do 25 of those a day...Why on earth would I take 40g for an hours of my time arsing about in SM when i can earn xp/gold and rep with loot that rivals lvl 40-50 epics dropping in outland as green and grey items...

There is some exceptions to that though I think, for some classes its easily possible to boost quite fast at level 60-70. 40 gold isn't much for most 70s but would be an alright amount for say a 65. There is another exception to that, super geared tanks can pull the whole instance and finish it up in a 2-3 minutes. A well geared pally tank in my guild offered to do it for an alt of mine once, I agreed and when he got there he literally pulled the whole of the instance in one go finished them up. All that was left for me to do was loot the massive pile of corpses :D

What really does irritate me is when I'm in Ogrimmar and constantly get /whispered asking to boost.

Was running my brother through SM yesterday on my lock.

Got bored clearing the last room in the Cathedral coming to Whitemend. so just decided to pull him.

About 40 mobs come running for me. Syphon Life, tab, Syphon Life, tab, etc...
    I heal myself for more then they hit for. Finish the fight on full health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Marucci

Apart from leveling 3 shammies together I always use my mage to "boost" while leveling chars when 3 boxing. (Pally is good also but only levels 40-55 I find)

Instance running is pretty good and very quick (2mins - about 50 mobs). A frost mage can work very well if you are boosting an AoE class.

Solo leveling is such a pain and takes about 1.5 times longer especially in outland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There is some exceptions to that though I think, for some classes its easily possible to boost quite fast at level 60-70. 40 gold isn't much for most 70s but would be an alright amount for say a 65. There is another exception to that, super geared tanks can pull the whole instance and finish it up in a 2-3 minutes. A well geared pally tank in my guild offered to do it for an alt of mine once, I agreed and when he got there he literally pulled the whole of the instance in one go finished them up. All that was left for me to do was loot the massive pile of corpses :D
    Prot pally, SM cath, lowbie is there to open doors. 1 pull, spelldmg gear, wings... :)

• Advertisement

Prot pally, SM cath, lowbie is there to open doors. 1 pull, spelldmg gear, wings... :)

Lock works just as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Dellarocca wrote: »
    Lock works just as well :)
    I would be highly suspect of that statement.

Paladin needs to cast roughly 6 spells to kill an infinite number of mobs, limited only by the amount they can survive (which at level 70 with decent tanking gear against level 35-40 mobs is ALOT). A warlock must cast a siphon life on multiple targets to outheal their damage and then must begin casting AoE's (at least I would assume they cast AoE's at some point or it would take even longer).

Correct me if I am wrong, but 1 clear winner imho. I can do 28 level 67-70 mobs in one pull, gets even easier the lower their level. I just dont see how warlocks can compare to that.

The 40 or so (not sure how many to be honest) mobs that are inside the doors where whitemend is all come when you pull him. I did this last night. It was mayhem but siphon life is an instant cast. So I had about 10 on mobs before they all reached me. My siphon life was ticking for about 200-250 on each mob. Plus as I'm in my frozen Shadowweave gear, I get healed a % of the damage I did.

With a constant 20-30 siphon lifes up over the course of the fight, I'm getting healed for about 5-6k every 3 seconds. Which is more damage then they could do do me.

I checked damage meters and over the course of SM Lib, Armoury and Cathedral, I did 1 million damage and 250k in healing. Trust me. It's possible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Possible, but a Prot Pally is still the prefered choice. I did this in SM with may pally during a rare prot spec, and even with **** gear, i cleared half the place easily in one pull. Great for getting gear for alts. A pain in the hole having to pick that stuff up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Dellarocca wrote: »
    The 40 or so (not sure how many to be honest) mobs that are inside the doors where whitemend is all come when you pull him. I did this last night. It was mayhem but siphon life is an instant cast. So I had about 10 on mobs before they all reached me. My siphon life was ticking for about 200-250 on each mob. Plus as I'm in my frozen Shadowweave gear, I get healed a % of the damage I did.

With a constant 20-30 siphon lifes up over the course of the fight, I'm getting healed for about 5-6k every 3 seconds. Which is more damage then they could do do me.

I checked damage meters and over the course of SM Lib, Armoury and Cathedral, I did 1 million damage and 250k in healing. Trust me. It's possible.
    I wasnt saying it wasnt possible, I was saying that Warlock is not equal to paladin in this case, it is in fact, far inferior. That is all.

Advertisement