Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

JC Decaux signs - take extra care

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I bet it's internally lit up all night every night.
    Just in case enough rersources weren't already wasted on it.

They will be. Save water....waste electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

I just sent a message with link to this post to www.TapTips.ie, the people doing the advertising.(Actually....lecturing us about the environment.)

Nice to hear what THEY have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

MadsL wrote: »

The page you are looking for could not be found - the page could have moved, you could be looking for a page from our old site or you may have typed the wrong address in the address bar. Please check the spelling in the URL and ensure that you do not have the caps locks on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

rte1 liveline now

ooh big barny on liveline helped along with mannix flynn, it was good he brought in the visual pollution angle but i don't know how helpeful it was to madsl and co?

richard got his bit at the start though saying its was dangerous

doolan defended the scheme to the hilt

doolan said they weren't allowed to see the contract till the other councils had negotiated with jcdeaux.

some labour guy came on saying he was happy to see the overall amount of advertising being reduced.

they both claimed that hadn't seen the photos or the signs themselves which makes you wonder what they were discussing the other day at the council.

can we have one boards thread on this?

Tell all your friends to be careful this weekend while they are out in Dublin. Mail them this link, and ask them to spread the word. Warn your friends and family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2xiMQtqFA

get black and yellow warning tape and put it around them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Tell all your friends to be careful this weekend
    Great vid. did you make it?

• Advertisement

get black and yellow warning tape and put it around them.

I like it :D
    Great vid. did you make it?

4 hours of tracking down these things...3 hours editing. Sorry its a bit rough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

4 hours of tracking down these things...3 hours editing. Sorry its a bit rough.

Not rough at all, it gets the point across with conviction - you have my support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Jesus.Only seen or heard about this now.Absolutly shocking stuff.Lost for words really:eek:

Image040.jpg

This just breaks ALL the rules....criminal.

Image039.jpg

Pedestrian stepping out

Image045.jpg
    Image043.jpg

Motorist view of left turn - oncoming traffic view is blocked

Image042.jpg

Footpath width reduced

Planning conditions broken

2) The developer shall remove one hundred 48 sheet hoardings and associated fittings within one year of the final grant of planning permission of the metropole advertising structure (advertising display panel). Details of the existing 48 sheet hoardings to be removed (including location map and photograph(s) of each structure) together with a dated photographic record of their removal shall be submitted to the Planning Authority within one month of their removal. Reason: In the interest of visual amenity and the prevention of visual clutter.

NOT DONE

8) The applicant shall comply with the requirements of the Roads Department:
    a)The proposed structure shall not impede 70X3m vehicular sight lines.

Anyone help with this - im not an engineer but this sightline envelope looks big...anyone? I'm sure this is breached.

b)The proposed structure shall not impede any road signs, traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, vision along kerb edge lines or any other road infrastructure. This may require a slight adjustment in the proposed location as submitted.

c)The proposed structure shall not impede pedestrian desire lines or reduce footpath width below 1.8m, absolute minimum. (This figure will vary upwards depending on pedestrian and vehicle volumes).

Image041.jpg

d)The proposed structure shall be subject to a Stage 3 Road Safety Audit at the applicants expense. This will be done by an approved auditor through a public procurement procedure, which shall audit the entire permitted signage. Any failure shall be removed.

THIS HAS NOT BEEN DONE!

e)If at any stage it is required by the Road Authority that the sign shall be relocated or removed, it shall be, at the applicants expense and at no cost to the Local Authority. Reason: In the interests of the proper planning and development of the area

Full licence for DCC to remove these signs - keep the pressure on folks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

:eek: Fookin Hell Madsl your a man on a mission :pac:

Hats off...If i spot any i'll be sure to take a few pics ;)

Digital camera in pocket today!!!!

Eoin Madden of the Road & Traffic Dept at the An Pleanála Oral Hearing said that a sign further down this street outside BDO Simpson Xavier building would not pass a safety audit. It was withdrawn. This sign is placed in the same way next to the kerb.

SMDC0171.jpg

Pedestrian steps out from behind sign...notice she is looking LEFT - the danger is from the RIGHT! also notice the road bends to the left further down...emergency vehicles at speed (garda for example) view of peds crossing the street further down will also be impaired.

SMDC0166.jpg

Footpath with here is now only 150cm

c)The proposed structure shall not impede pedestrian desire lines or reduce footpath width below 1.8m, absolute minimum.

Fookin Hell Madsl your a man on a mission

Hats off...If i spot any i'll be sure to take a few pics

Digital camera in pocket today!!!!

Thanks, don't forgot to send an email.....

Cllr Diathi Doolan stuck his head up to defend these against me on liveline yesterday. He hasn't seen them yet he admitted :rolleyes: :eek: I offered to take him on a tour.

His contact details;

http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Councillors/YourLocalCouncillors/Pages/DaithiDoolan.aspx

Send him a text or a mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Did anyone email D'arcy at Today FM? He's mad into the road safety... and as a cyclist himself he is the man to contact!

Did anyone email D'arcy at Today FM? He's mad into the road safety... and as a cyclist himself he is the man to contact!

Go for it....:D
    mail him - he can contact me at no.to.decaux@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Done, did and done again. He likes to get involved in issues like this. :)

• Advertisement

is that a takeaway on richmond hill?

who want something like that stuck awkwardly in front of their shop?

you can keep an eye on mercer? street here

http://www.dublintraffic.com/Site0Camera48.jpg
    where are you getting the planning rules from, i tried to find something about the distances for unobstrcuted views of traffic lights?

My video comments with the soundtrack of Liveline on Friday, two councillors appear to defend these and Mannix Flynn gives them a roasting;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJXQKkTobk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSo89H_EooI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQEbzC5tYFo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVNFyf30YNA

My introduction to the situation...

Daithi Doolon for the defence (I have added background info and corrections)...

Mannix Flynn gets exercised....(
    listen for the 'you're no pal o'mine' comment
    :D)

Final part (I was dropped for some reason and not allowed the final comment)

have you not had contact with the doolan or any of the other councillors since,

there main arguement was that they taking down other billboards but i don't why they prefer ones right on the pathway to ones stuck up on the sides of buildings.

No contact from them anyway...although my contact details are with Liveline's researchers. PM me if you would like to help with the next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Have to laugh when he says he's very excited about losing 100 large sheet adverts. He didn't mention that most of those are illegal since they have no planning permission anyway. If the planning enforcement department did their job...

I didn't get a chance to pull him up on that (I'll be annotating the parts 3 & 4 later tonight).

It's now 50 billboards they have agreed to remove; (see how this deal keeps shrinking)

Anyway, I cannot see how these have had a safety audit...I simply don't believe Daithi that this was done for each of them. In some cases the planning site map was just a red dot on a map. These were rammed through planning (we even had the remains of a refusal left on the website in Smithfield - but management clearly overruled the planner)

Keep texting and mailing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good discussion (for common sense), bad for DCC.

Mike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's great to see the reaction now, but a terrible pity it had to wait until the bloody things went up.
    If only a few more people had objected (and appealed) at the planning stages we probably could have stopped them all.

I didn't get a chance to pull him up on that (I'll be annotating the parts 3 & 4 later tonight).

It's now 50 billboards they have agreed to remove; (see how this deal keeps shrinking)

so the other illegal ones will stay up?

i dunno embarrassing them into action is the only way to do it, you not gonna beat by spending your money or chasing their rules

• Advertisement

It's great to see the reaction now, but a terrible pity it had to wait until the bloody things went up.
    If only a few more people had objected (and appealed) at the planning stages we probably could have stopped them all.

Couldn't agree more, but to be honest they were well buried. The site notices were just yet another planning application notice on a wall nearby. Most of them went in the week before Christmas.

Scandalous that there was no Environmental Impact Assessment and no Public Consultations.

It's not like anyone was asked did they want these feckin things.

Text or email your councillors and the city manager. Make your voice heard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement