Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

JC Decaux signs - take extra care

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'll sign an oath in blood at a crossroads. Maybe that one?

Apology joker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

again...you are in the middle of a lane. A driver would be on the very right hand edge of the lane, with a much better view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

MadsL, fair play to you! As I'm no longer living in Ireland I doubt my emails carry much weight (I don't have a vote there anymore ;)) but this is a great campaign.

Safety is the biggest issue but the manner in which much of this sign-erecting business has been conducted is also an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

pvt.joker wrote:
    again...you are in the middle of a lane. A driver would be on the very right hand edge of the lane, with a much better view.

A metre to the right isn't going to make much difference, especially when you need to see the pedestrian from at least 40 metres away (the stopping distance at 50kph on a wet day).

Also, cyclists and motorcyclists are going to be particularly vulnerable to people stepping out (people usually just look out for cars), and they're not going to be driving on the right hand edge of the lane.

I have heard of a nation of begrudgers. A nation of complainers. etc

Never heard of anyone begrudging a complainer. :D

Ah, well. Can I get on now? Stark has answered this nicely....

• Advertisement

MadsL, fair play to you! As I'm no longer living in Ireland I doubt my emails carry much weight (I don't have a vote there anymore ) but this is a great campaign.

You still have a vote unless you have renounced your citizenship :D

An international complaint might carry more weight :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another alternative course of action is a letter campaign to companies that are using these structures to advertise. Hit JC Decaux where it hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

pvt.joker wrote: »
    And Im not the only person with this point of view.

Yes

Go stir up sh1te somewhere else

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

IanCurtis wrote: »

+1
    MadsL is doing a great job in the interests of public safety (I hope:D).

p.s. was that a typo or a spelling mistake Ian (shite)?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yes

officially seconded (or thirded as the case may be)

• Advertisement

Yes

Yes? Whats "yes" supposed to mean in the context of my post?

I just think this whole thing is dodgy....I think there's more to MadsL' campaign than meets the eye.. A personal grudge with the council perhaps?

ahemmm ..the post above your last one? Not see it?

I don't understand?:confused:

Are you banning me from motors Peasant? :eek:

Im just expressing my point of view

no, Im not banning you ...PM sent

Now ...everybody back to topic

Genuine question OP . How many of these have the corpo taken down since your protest? I heard of 1 , was that the 1 in the photo?

Genuine question OP . How many of these have the corpo taken down since your protest? I heard of 1 , was that the 1 in the photo?

Dorset St has been removed, and there are others to follow I hope. If you read this thread carefully you'll see the ones I've highlighted as out of planning compliance. DCC have had to do a fairly swift review. Jim Keogan said that would end tomorrow, so we'll see.

What's your point?

..and by the way it's not MY protest - I just pointed people to what was happening, many boardsies emailed and texted councillors to get the Dorset St sign removed. It's a much their voice getting this done as mine.
    I just think this whole thing is dodgy....I think there's more to MadsL' campaign than meets the eye.. A personal grudge with the council perhaps?

Hi i'm Richard. Ask DeVore who I am, and if I have some secret 'dodgy' agenda.

And you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

One other point.

Those things are internally lit up and burn energy all night every night.

(So the rats crawling out of the Liffey can read them at 4am)

The prattling government who lectures us about saving energy is simultaneously granting permission to every Tom Dick and Harry to light
    up everything in sight all night long.

When just SOME of those horrible things were switched off for Earth Hour earlier this year Energy consumption in Dublin dipped by 8%.

(They switched them all back on again after an hour.......naturally.)

MadsL wrote: »
    And you are?

He's pvt joker and he has agreed (with me) to stop being disruptive.

So let's get back to the issue at hand, roish?

One other point.

Those things are internally lit up and burn energy all night every night.

(So the rats crawling out of the Liffey can read them at 4am)

The prattling government who lectures us about saving energy is simultaneously granting permission to every Tom Dick and Harry to light
    up everything in sight all night long.

When just SOME of those horrible things were switched off for Earth Hour earlier this year Energy consumption in Dublin dipped by 8%.

(They switched them all back on again after an hour.......naturally.)

The irony is the first set of ads are paid for by the Dept of Environment....

Our Green minister eh? send him an email at minister@environ.ie and ask him to remove the campaign.

The signs also breach his departments Sectoral Plan on Disability Objective 8 of which is:

“To improve access of persons with disabilities to streets, pavements, footpaths, and street crossings, and access from public roads to passenger transport vehicles, through promoting an accessible barrier free pedestrian environment. “

Objective 8 of the Sectoral Plan (Disability Act 2005) of the Department of the Environment

This applies to all local authorities.

Ask him what he is playing at.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lostwithoutfred

Lads i would just like to make a couple of points that nobody seems to have made. Firstly my understanding is that the DCC put this contract out to tender. JCDecaux won it but it could so easily have been any other advertising company. There are certain quotes on this thread which make me think that there are people who have a chip on their shoulder with Decaux. Why take it out on them since they were the ones selected to do it and not the ones who came up with the idea. They were given the green light to put these things up by THE DCC!

Secondly having travelled all over Europe i have noticed that these things are in most the major cities. I have not seen anyone walking into them or heard of anyone walking out in front of a car because of them...... If millions of Europeans can manage to avoid them on a daily basis why can't we....

• Advertisement

Lads i would just like to make a couple of points that nobody seems to have made. Firstly my understanding is that the DCC put this contract out to tender. JCDecaux won it but it could so easily have been any other advertising company.
    True
    There are certain quotes on this thread which make me think that there are people who have a chip on their shoulder with Decaux. Why take it out on them since they were the ones selected to do it and not the ones who came up with the idea. They were given the green light to put these things up by THE DCC!
    Yes but looking at the original mock-ups and the final version on the street, there is a big difference. In the mock-ups they look a lot smaller and less intrusive and obstructive.
    Secondly having travelled all over Europe i have noticed that these things are in most the major cities. I have not seen anyone walking into them or heard of anyone walking out in front of a car because of them...... If millions of Europeans can manage to avoid them on a daily basis why can't we....
    Probably because in the rest of Europe, they don't obscure traffic lights? I've seen them all over Europe too and don't recall (wasn't really looking I'll admit) that they obscured my vision of traffic lights or areas where pedestrians cross.

Now, how long have you worked for Decaux? :D:D
    /joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lostwithoutfred

Good one! Advertising was never the career for me....sniff sniff! I live in town and see these signs on a regular basis. Remember them from when i lived in France and to be honest i don't remember there being any reaction to them going up over there. Maybe we look on things differently in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Good one! Advertising was never the career for me....sniff sniff! I live in town and see these signs on a regular basis. Remember them from when i lived in France and to be honest i don't remember there being any reaction to them going up over there. Maybe we look on things differently in Ireland.

I don't think it has anything to do with how we look on them. Any I saw in France were installed on wide footpaths, in between junctions so they didn't obstruct pedestrian crossings or traffic lights and were usually in a line with other street furniture or landscaping so they didn't impede pedestrian movement, especially for blind people. They're installed in a way that is sensitive to their surroundings. In Dublin they're installed so that they maximise drivers attention.

...to be honest i don't remember there being any reaction to them going up over there. Maybe we look on things differently in Ireland.
    Perhaps that's because in France they didn't obstruct lights? Or maybe they weren't placed at spots where pedestrians cross the road and blind traffic to their presence? I don't know because as I say when driving (in France) I never really noticed them and that makes me think that they were located in appropriate places, not right in front of a traffic light! :)

JCDecaux won it but it could so easily have been any other advertising company.

The title of the tender was "site preparation services" therefore not easily found or noticed by other advertising companies.

Dublin City Council officials visited Lyon on a 'fact-finding' mission prior to this contract.

Lyon is JCD's premier flagship city to promote this scheme...

I believe in coincidences :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MadsL wrote: »
    The title of the tender was "site preparation services" therefore not easily found or noticed by other advertising companies.

Dublin City Council officials visited Lyon on a 'fact-finding' mission prior to this contract.

Lyon is JCD's premier flagship city to promote this scheme...

I believe in coincidences :D
    A contract put in place that does not favour the citizens with a company with a poor track record in terms of planning (DCC have a requirement under the 2000 Planning Act to look into the track record). As part of the deal JCD have agreed to remove 48 signs - 48 signs that are illegally erected!

At this point a cynic would be suspecting some form of corruption but we all know that thankfully there is no corruption in Ireland. Hmm, I'm starting to sound cynical!

It's taken me longer than usual to put this together (I :mad: realmedia!)

but here is my commentary on the RTE newsreport from 16th July

Keep the pressure on - mail nda@nda.ie and make a formal complaint

I'm also uploading the council meeting where the City Manager once again blocks attempts to have this whole fiasco subjected to an independent Health & Safety review. Thanks to all who mailed and texted - Cllr Christy Burke mentions you...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

madsl, please please tell me that isn't the turn onto rathmines road in your second picture beside the chinese restaurant, that's the only way I can get up to collect my daughter in school (well quickest anyway), that junction is a complete nightmare at the best of times and now with that there you have to stick the nose of the car out into the flow to even look for a gap (sorry I've a big bonnet, compensates for my lack of errr) but keep at this please, advertisers need to be hit where it hurts em and the council also needs to know we'll not take it.

please please tell me that isn't the turn onto rathmines road in your second picture beside the chinese restaurant, that's the only way I can get up to collect my daughter in school (well quickest anyway), that junction is a complete nightmare at the best of times and now with that there you have to stick the nose of the car out into the flow to even look for a gap (sorry I've a big bonnet, compensates for my lack of errr) but keep at this please, advertisers need to be hit where it hurts em and the council also needs to know we'll not take it.

Sorry for the news but I'm afraid it is....

Image043.jpg

Could I suggest emailing planningenforcement@dublincity.ie
    The planning ref is 2209/07

Ask them to investigate the breach of planning condition 8 and also the failure to comply with planning condition 2.

You could also ask how planners were able to make a decision without a siteplan?

Thanks for your support.

If you feel like going further email your local councillors (Mary Frehill is very supportive) and perhaps contact the school to point out the danger to pupils crossing the road (I believe the school is opposite this sign)

:D

• Advertisement

Go take a look at JCD's website ( JCDecaux dot ie - I'm not going to backlink here :)

Under coming soon they have published a map of the locations for the metropoles ...

The Naas road will soon look like Strip Mall USA by September by the look off it. :mad:

comingsoonmetropolemap.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement