Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hypothetical: forgetting your password

• 07-07-2008 3:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭

was having a discussion with my stepdad and he was telling me that when he forgot his login password he remembered to just type in "Administrator" and leave a blank password.. but it occured to me that he was talking about the secure-login (with Ctrl+Alt+Del) which isnt always initialized on many PCs. So I've been wondering, assuming you havent setup your secure login, how do you get into your machine if youve forgotten your login password?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm pretty sure safe mode has secure login.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

The password for Administrator would have been setup during installation of Windows, it can't be taken that it will always be blank!. Personally I always set the Admin password....

Hypothetically if you forget the password, it can be a bitch to get back into the PC, though its very doable. There are numerous methods for resetting windows Administrator passwords and there are lots of software packages on the go that can help you to do it (Have to buy them though). Once you can get in under Admin you can then reset any user account on the system.

Basically all is not lost if it happens, though can be a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Same as Feelgood, i'd always set an admin password. It can be handy if it's left blank and someone locks themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If its the Windows Welcome screen, just hold ctrl+alt and press del twice to bring up the standard windows login to allow to choose the user you want...

If you have set an admin password and have no access to alternative admin account it can be awkward to get access again.. not impossible just awkwad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I set the admin password and then change the name on the admin account to my name.

So basically if I forget my own password, I've to reinstall.

Not that it's ever happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The * live-cd has done it for me, hypothetically :D
    +1
    And I know of others who have used it to much success too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Once you have physical access to the box you can do it on most OS's.
    I've used one of the tools on the UBCD to do it on windows loads of times.
    Think it was the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor.

I've done it a few times on Ubuntu and Mac OSX too with the appropriate cd. So if you want to make your box secure make sure no one can get physical access to it.

Can be a real life saver at times though.

Advertisement