Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone line free broadband?

Options
  • 07-07-2008 6:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for some advice. I want to get rid of my Eircom home phone and broadband and get a phone line free broadband provider. I'm not that fusy about having lighting speeds or anything once I can hook up a laptop and a xbox 360 that's about it. What do you guys use or what do you recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

I have Ripwave from Irish broadband and it's perfect. It's €18.95 a month and just as good as broadband through the landline. You just have to make sure they have coverage in your area though.

EDIT: Not sure if it'll work with the Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The Ripwave wouldn't be so great for the likes of Xbox Live as latency might be an issue. You'd might be better off going for one of their breeze services. They start off at €35.99 I believe for a 2Mb connection and I'm sure they offer a VOIP service too (telephone through the Internet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Can you get cable broadband? http://www.upc.ie

Their lowest package would be more than enough. Stay away from the "broadband in a box" type solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

See the sticky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

burgess1 wrote: »
    I have Ripwave from Irish broadband and it's perfect. It's €18.95 a month and just as good as broadband through the landline. You just have to make sure they have coverage in your area though.

Nah, the latency is rubbish and its not suitable for VoIP or online gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

burgess1 wrote: »

The more important question here is do you want leprosy or Ripwave. I myself would prefer leprosy.
    You want either a fixed wireless provider like Digiweb or Irish broadband Breeze or a cable provider like NTL. There really isn't much choice if you want a solid connection without a phoneline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

A carrier pigeon would be better than ripwave :-). Smart. UPC. Or fixed wireless ie breeze metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

barnicles wrote: »
    A carrier pigeon would be better than ripwave :-). Smart. UPC. Or fixed wireless ie breeze metro.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Very good

Advertisement