Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless router... lost password

Options
  • 07-07-2008 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have NTL/UPC 10mb line in my house. At the moment i'm hard wired into it using a normal lan/patch lead.. But i'm moving the PC into a new room, Now NTL/UPC have given me a Netgear wireless router when they installed the modem but i never needed it. But now i do and i cant find where i put the username and password !!

Any idea how i can get a new one? do i have to ring them !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Username and password: What are you trying to do exactly, just log into the router to access it's settings webpage?

If I'm not mistaken the Netgear router that NTL provide is the WGR614 range in which case default username is admin and the default password is password. If this has been changed however the router will need to be hard reset and you can set it up yourself again from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

what i'm trying to do is access the internet just like normal. Like it's an encrypted line when i try to connect to the wireless connection i get asked for a user name and password.

Ok that's a different thing altogether then. It's either asking for a WEP key or a WPA key. If it's a WEP key it's easy enough to find it you're cabled up to the router.

Open a web browser and go here:
    http://192.168.1.1

Username: admin
    Password: password

Go to wireless settings over the left hand side and the last option on that page should be security setting. If it's set as a WEP key it should be listed there, if it's a WPA key you'll have to change it to your liking, save the settings and viola! Connectivity!

I'll check it when i get home.. In work at the moment ;)

Thanks for the help.

Aye no problem, let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement

nah didnt work., password or username is wrong.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

There should be a reset button on the back of the router, you could reset it back to factory default, but you would need to configure your wireless connection again

edit:I've just reread your post, seen as it has never been set up before, resetting it wont be a problem

just bofore i do it i want to say this lol..

It was setup before... the NTL guy did it. But i didnt use it.. as when i came home from been away the username and password the NTL guy gave to my mam went missing (she lost it) so i just got a Lan/patch lead and conected into it... But now i need the wireless cos i'm moving the PC into the extention and it's to far to run a lead..

Oh just to add as well... I have a netgear router as i said.. there is also another modem, Its called webstar,,, the NTL main lead goes into this.. then theres a lead going from this into the Netgear wireless router...

What i was doing was running my lan/patch lead from my PC straigh into the webstar NTL modem..

If i do reset the Netgear modem.. what info will i need?

There should be an option for you to run an automation config of the netgear. After you reset it, log into http://192.168.1.1 using the username:admin and password: password.

The netgear should recognise its the first time be set up and give you an option to auto detect your BB connection. Once it establishes the type of connection you have, you will then need to set up your security on it.

Post back when you are at that stage

Ok I did the re-set... But now there is no signal coming from the router.. There was before as i seen the connection just couldnt conect to it..

the wireless light on the modem is not lighting up... the power is on.. and the icon detecting a connection is on.. SO there is a connection going into it.. just the wireless part not working !. I've rebooted the modem about 10 times.. still nothing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

NeVeR wrote: »
    Ok I did the re-set... But now there is no signal coming from the router.. There was before as i seen the connection just couldnt conect to it..

the wireless light on the modem is not lighting up... the power is on.. and the icon detecting a connection is on.. SO there is a connection going into it.. just the wireless part not working !. I've rebooted the modem about 10 times.. still nothing..

Can you still get internet access via the direct connection with a network cable rather wireless?

Were you able to log in to the netgear and set up your bb connection

Right... 1st when i tried to connect to it directly without wireless all my net stoped working.. I couldnt even access an outside wireless connection which i can always connect to... I couldnt enable any disabled connection i made.. I dont know how i got it back working but it is.. and i'm using the outside connection again (when i say outside i mean someone elses..)

Aquos76: No i couldnt connect to my wireless router.. when searching for it all i could find was the outside connection... i rebooted everything.. nothing worked... I will try again later...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Right... 1st when i tried to connect to it directly without wireless all my net stoped working.. I couldnt even access an outside wireless connection which i can always connect to... I couldnt enable any disabled connection i made.. I dont know how i got it back working but it is.. and i'm using the outside connection again (when i say outside i mean someone elses..)

Aquos76: No i couldnt connect to my wireless router.. when searching for it all i could find was the outside connection... i rebooted everything.. nothing worked... I will try again later...

Can you connect to your own wireless router with a cable and does the internet work when you do this??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Wireless is disabled by default, you'll need to connect to the router via a cable, then go to the management page (http://192.168.1.1/), your login name should now be admin, and your password just password, then go to Wireless Settings under the Advanced heading and enable wireless (and probably ssid broadcast too for simplicity), then go to Wireless settings under Setup heading and choose your security options. (you'll probably want to pick at least WPA-PSK [TKIP] and pick a good password). Your pc/laptop should then be able to connect wirelessly.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Wireless is disabled by default, you'll need to connect to the router via a cable, then go to the management page (http://192.168.1.1/), your login name should now be admin, and your password just password, then go to Wireless Settings under the Advanced heading and enable wireless (and probably ssid broadcast too for simplicity), then go to Wireless settings under Setup heading and choose your security options. (you'll probably want to pick at least WPA-PSK [TKIP] and pick a good password). Your pc/laptop should then be able to connect wirelessly.

cheers i'll try that when i get home, I'll post how i get on.

right.. when i connect into the routher (and connect the to the modem) it says connected in my "Network connections" but no pages work.

So i cant login to http://192.168.1.1/

Are you receiving an IP address from the router or not?

Also, you should be cabelling into the router and not trying to wirelessly connect at this point.

Achilles wrote: »
    Are you receiving an IP address from the router or not?

Also, you should be cabelling into the router and not trying to wirelessly connect at this point.

I am cabelling into the router.. I have a lead from it to the main modem and then another lead from it to my PC..

Nothing is working on it.. So i'm thinking the routher might be faulty.. But it's neveer been used like.. All the lights are working on the front,

when you say "receiving an IP address from the router" how can i check this?

Go to the run comand, type cmd

In the dos box that opens, type in "ipconfig" without the comma's and click enter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement