Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it ok to vulture-pick at carcasses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've often wondered who removes the smashed up old bikes.

Presumably it's the council, I wonder how they decide what to take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Something posted on the legal discussion forum...

Any opinions?
    Interesting...I was thinking of something similar a couple of weeks ago in relation to property collected off the streets from the local council and then dumped in skips...to use the aforementioned scenario, would a bike frame/parts be considered abandoned if one was to take the said bike from the skip, or would it have to be submitted to the Gardai first, to check for registration (whether the bike was reported stoled) or would this matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Simple thing, ask your local cop station can you have it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

AFAIK, and I stand to be corrected, the legal position regarding abandoned bikes is covered by section 71 of the Waste Management Act 1996. It doesn't specifically refer to bikes but to vehicles generally, i.e. 'any means in or by which someone travels or something is carried or conveyed; a means of conveyance or transport'.

Where the local authority is of the opinion that the condition of the vehicle is such that it is capable of being used as a vehicle or can, by the expenditure of a reasonable amount of money, be rendered capable of being so used, and the local authority can, by reasonable inquiry, ascertain the name and address of the owner of the vehicle, the local authority shall store or arrange for the storage of the vehicle and shall serve a notice on the owner informing him or her of the removal and storage and of the address of the place where the vehicle may be claimed or recovered, and such a notice shall require the owner to claim or recover it within 2 weeks of the date of the service of the notice and inform him or her of the consequences (specified in subsection (7)) of his or her failure to do so.

Where the local authority is of the opinion that the condition of the vehicle is such that it is not capable of being used as a vehicle or cannot, by the expenditure of a reasonable amount of money, be rendered capable of being so used, or the name and address of the owner of the vehicle cannot be ascertained by the local authority by reasonable inquiry, or the said owner fails to claim the vehicle and remove it from the place where it is stored within 4 weeks of the date on which a notice has been served on him or her, the vehicle shall become the property of the local authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Sorry to breathe life back into this corpse - but I'm writing an article on this topic for a local bike mag, so if anyone has any more opinions, pipe up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

flickerx wrote: »
    Sorry to breathe life back into this corpse - but I'm writing an article on this topic for a local bike mag, so if anyone has any more opinions, pipe up now.

Can we see the article when you are finished?

Raam wrote: »
    Can we see the article when you are finished?

I think I'd have to wait until it got published (or not), then I'd lash it up here.

Any further controversial, half baked, inflammatory quotable comments in this thread greatly welcomed - good copy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Any further controversial, half baked, inflammatory quotable comments in this thread greatly welcomed - good copy.

Dear boardsies, please write my article for me:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Any further controversial, half baked, inflammatory quotable comments in this thread greatly welcomed...

um, motorists as a species are disgusting. eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

If you leave your article here for 2 weeks.... can I borrow its front wheel? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I got stopped by the cops taking a saddle off an abandoned bike when I was a kid. He gave me a lecture about the poor cyclist could be lying in hospital or something.

Anyway I took it as read that you weren't supposed to do it after that. There's a fine back carrier on a carcass down the road at the moment.

I always thought it would be a nice little job to go around rescuing these poor steeds, fixing them and selling them on to new owners. Even if their owners came along you could charge them for the new wheel, saddle and lights and lock.:D €25 for pickin' it up and €15 for using the bolt cutters.

If business got slow you could pay a few hoodies!!

If you leave your article here for 2 weeks.... can I borrow its front wheel? :)

Of course.

I fully intend to vulture-pick the remaining valuable bits of this entire thread, pass them off as my own new creation, and hopefully gets some financial reward from my labour. Exactly the same process as my fixie creations...

niceonetom wrote: »
    um, motorists as a species are disgusting. eh?

You know, I think I've finally decided on the text of my next tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Niallface

how do the council know when its abandoned?
    i mean if a couple of guys in hi-vis jackets can work it out then surely the hi-vis and Lycra clad ones can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Niallface wrote: »
    how do the council know when its abandoned?
    i mean if a couple of guys in hi-vis jackets can work it out then surely the hi-vis and Lycra clad ones can.

I think the difference is that they're authorized by law to choose, we are not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

To be honest I would be with Tom in not believing that that sort of thinking to be particularly helpful. We are all individuals, there are wanker cyclists and wanker motorists, albeit the latter have a higher capacity to cause damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

blorg wrote: »
    To be honest I would be with Tom in not believing that that sort of thinking to be particularly helpful...

hey there, don't go putting words in my gob! i agree with him! helpful? puh-shaw

motorists, as a species, are disgusting. if anything i think the net should be cast wider; pedestrians are utter scum, and cyclists? well they're the lowest kind of vermin i can think of (with the possible exception of white-van-drivers -- it's a tough call there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

mm what ever about the rights and wrongs of the picking at carcasses..
    the locking spaces should be freed up, but I suppose that still comes back to "when" is a bike abandoned.

Moving a bike that has had its wheels kicked in, is quite a pain.. , but leaving them there, they waste a locking space..and can be dangerous to other people tying to lock their bike in the same area..

So in a very vague and generalising kind of way...

"somebody should do something"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Motorists are not a species.

Never get a tattoo which is taxonomically inaccurate. You may one day find yourself in a bar filled with angry pedants, and get torn to shreds for it.

Now, Periplaneta americana as a species are disgusting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Someone once abandoned their bike with the lock running through the frame of mine and around a lamp-post. I waited four days before sawing off the lock and taking my bike back. Not that I'm bothered now, but what would be the legally/morally correct thing to do in that situation?

• Advertisement

Someone once abandoned their bike with the lock running through the frame of mine and around a lamp-post. I waited four days before sawing off the lock and taking my bike back. Not that I'm bothered now, but what would be the legally/morally correct thing to do in that situation?

You're meant to call the cops, who then wait with you when the fire brigade come along, and they cut the lock off with the jaws of life. Cops then take the bike with no lock on it into custody. Happened to me before at the Blanch Centre when some idiot locked my frame to his. It was awkward enough waiting around for half an hour with a Garda with nothing to say to each other ("um... so... been to Copper Face Jacks lately?"), but then I nearly wished the ground would swallow me up when the fire engine arrived, with half a dozen fireman, with the siren going full blast, up to where I was waiting with the cop, bleedin scarlet I was.

To be honest I would be with Tom in not believing that that sort of thinking to be particularly helpful. We are all individuals, there are wanker cyclists and wanker motorists, albeit the latter have a higher capacity to cause damage.

Nope, sorry, cant agree to that any more. Not after escaping death by a mere half second by a red light breaking young male motorist and having this metal plate in my collarbone for the rest of my life, with my right arm destroyed. Motorists are scum, they're killing the planet, they're killing cyclists. No quarter. That capacity for damage in fast moving pieces of metal is their defining facet. I'll only be happy when the M50 is one big cycle path.

Lumen wrote: »
    Now, Periplaneta americana as a species are disgusting.
    Indeed.

suicide_attacker.jpg

Thank you internet.

Nope, sorry, cant agree to that any more. Not after escaping death by a mere half second by a red light breaking young male motorist and having this metal plate in my collarbone for the rest of my life, with my right arm destroyed. Motorists are scum, they're killing the planet, they're killing cyclists. No quarter. That capacity for damage in fast moving pieces of metal is their defining facet. I'll only be happy when the M50 is one big cycle path.
    Look, the guy who drove into you may be scum, but this sort of stupid simplistic thinking is pretty much the same as what led to the invasion of Iraq and countless other indignities through history.

The vast majority of people in Ireland, probably a majority in this forum even, people who commute to work on their bikes, are motorists- does that make them scum?

I don't disagree with you as to the unsustainibility of motoring long or even medium term (and very possibly much of the modern world for that matter.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I don't disagree with you as to the unsustainibility of motoring long or even medium term (and very possibly much of the modern world for that matter.)

Ah I don't think motoring will disappear, it will morph into something else depending on the technological advances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Heinrich wrote: »
    Even if it is abandoned it's still not your property so NO again.
    So what gives the council the right to cut it off and take it away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Húrin wrote: »
    So what gives the council the right to cut it off and take it away?

The law.

Look, the guy who drove into you may be scum, but this sort of stupid simplistic thinking is pretty much the same as what led to the invasion of Iraq and countless other indignities through history.

The stupid simplistic thinking of motorists you mean? Yes, their idiocy and point blank refusal in many cases to get out of their cars and ride a bike indirectly caused the war in Iraq - people fighting a war over petrol.
    The vast majority of people in Ireland, probably a majority in this forum even, people who commute to work on their bikes, are motorists- does that make them scum?

Yes. In my book. I have consistently underestimated the stupidity of the general public. But now my eyes are wide open. Reality TV, motorists, racism, plastic surgery - they all come under the sweeping generalisation of stupid, and the sooner they're all done away with, the better.

Excellent - we're in agreement then :D

I know I'm being completely unreasonable sometimes - but I'm beyond caring. Nothing on this earth is going to make me be 'accomodating' (sp.?) any more with motorists. I accomodated them enough on the roads over all these years and look what happened to me. I was reasonable, sharing the road, obeying the law, and a motorist has injured me for life. I dont care that it might be just a "few bad apples", they're all potential cyclist killing machines because of their weight and speed in comparison to us. I'm opposed now to the existence and concept of cars. Fúck them all. I dont want to share the road with them. I dont want to be reasonable. I want to see every tire slashed, every petrol tank sugared up, every windscreen smashed, every motorway dug up and trees planted over them.

I'm not supposed to be cycling at the moment, but every time I do, I make sure I block the road sufficiently so cars cant pass, cut motorists off from making right turns on a red light (legal here) where I can, shout obscenities at them, and any other action I can do to make their driving life a stress. There are enough other people out there in the cycling community who can be reasonable and accomodating, and talk to motorists, but I wont ever be one of them again.

I think you need to calm down a bit and put it behind you; the behaviours you mention put you at a higher risk of further injury or worse. I honestly believe that one's internal balance in these matters comes out in one's road behaviour and affects risk level. You need to behave as if you are invisible and everyone else is out to kill you while maintaining the internal constitution of a Zen monk.

I am going to say a prayer for you. FSM FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

FSM ??? Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

http://www.venganza.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sanity.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

yo could always get the job in the council to collect the bikes- done by the guys who empty the bins. I heard that they are brought up to the depot in rathmines and serial crushed/chopped up to be better rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I know I'm being completely unreasonable sometimes - but I'm beyond caring. Nothing on this earth is going to make me be 'accomodating' (sp.?) any more with motorists. I accomodated them enough on the roads over all these years and look what happened to me. I was reasonable, sharing the road, obeying the law, and a motorist has injured me for life. I dont care that it might be just a "few bad apples", they're all potential cyclist killing machines because of their weight and speed in comparison to us. I'm opposed now to the existence and concept of cars. Fúck them all. I dont want to share the road with them. I dont want to be reasonable. I want to see every tire slashed, every petrol tank sugared up, every windscreen smashed, every motorway dug up and trees planted over them.
    Woah! I'd recommend you head down to the pharmacy and stock up on some of these.....chill_pill.jpg biggest box you can get your hands on.
    But one question... given your fear and loathing of cars (and I presume this includes all motorized road vehicles - trucks, vans etc included), how do you propose to
    1) get all the disparate components of your bikes to the one location to have it built ?
    2) get the finished bike to the warehouse to have it stored ?
    3) get the finished bike to the shop to have it sold ?
    Sorry I lied, it was 3!

I'm not fully convinced you've thought this through properly.
    Oh, and next time you're in the hospital ask them to xray your shoulder a bit, to see if they can find that chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

Flickerx,
    while i can see your viewoint, i will never look from there. in my eyes any nut on or in any vehicle/bike/hovercraft, we can all do without. Bad drivers and cyclists everywhere, making bad names for the rest.
    As you said you don't care anymore, i take that as you don't mather anymore.
    Our goverments' attitude is worse than any driver, start there, if you wish, after all are they not in charge of our roads and here to protect us...(trying to keep a straight face at that thought)

forgive any spelling mistakes but "I don't care anymore!"
    :P

kenmc wrote: »
    Oh, and next time you're in the hospital ask them to xray your shoulder a bit, to see if they can find that chip.

Oh wait, here it is

3118110453_060d31e97a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

i meant the other shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hey all, digging up an old thread here...

Anyway, following on from ScottReynolds and others with their fantastic builds, I have been on the lookout for a frame.

Turns out their was one outside my front door (well, not literally). There is a peugeot frame tied to a rack near me, I remember seeing it ages ago and its still there. I'll try and get a photo but its an old peugeot hle frame, no seat, no handlebars, back wheel is gone and the chain is sitting in a rusted pile on the ground, so it has clearly been there for some time and more than likely abandoned.

I have yet to measure the frame, but could this be a case of "recycle" and clear up some bike rack space for people who need it while benefiting myself or would this in fact be stealing a neglected frame that someone might be trying to age like a fine wine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Of course you do realise that, that frame could belong to someone who got knocked off their bike and they are still in hospital or dead!

They got knocked off their bike and then locked it in ucd before proceeding to hospital by ambulance?

Yes, there are many possibilities and hypothetical scenarios...im only going by what I see: a bike in severe disrepair, locked to a rack and has not moved in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    would this in fact be stealing a neglected frame that someone might be trying to age like a fine wine?

You want us to be your moral compass, eh? :pac:

You guys? No, I think if I got stopped by the Gardai, saying "but the internet told me to do it!" would not go down well.

I'll take a photo of it later on, see what people think. Euro issues supersede moral issues anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Owen%20Starsky%20&%20Hutch%20Signature%20Do%20It.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Just do it, it's not like anyone has ever got busted for nicking bikes anyway.

Yeah I was thinking to myself at what point is it stealing or simply cleaning up litter. Anyway, I suppose the next question would be is it worth removing. Behold, through the magic of digital photography, a few pictures. Much like in the saturday spin thread, my camera wins no prizes for performance, I apologise for the quality.

Photo-0034.jpg
    Photo-0035.jpg
    Photo-0037.jpg
    Photo-0038.jpg
    Photo-0039.jpg

The last photo was just to show the state of some of the bikes. That's mine on the left, but there was about 4 or 5 bikes parked there, all severely rusted BSOs. Shame people don't take better care of them.

Yeah I was thinking to myself at what point is it stealing or simply cleaning up litter. Anyway, I suppose the next question would be is it worth removing. Behold, through the magic of digital photography, a few pictures. Much like in the saturday spin thread, my camera wins no prizes for performance, I apologise for the quality.

Photo-0034.jpg
    Photo-0035.jpg
    Photo-0037.jpg
    Photo-0038.jpg
    Photo-0039.jpg

The last photo was just to show the state of some of the bikes. That's mine on the left, but there was about 4 or 5 bikes parked there, all severely rusted BSOs. Shame people don't take better care of them.
    ...if I had an immediate use for it, i'd nick it now that i know where it is:p

What's the plan for the lock? Maybe chat to someone in the admin building or to services.

• Advertisement

Oh no! I should have disguised the pics better! :)

I was reading around and the HLE frames are a basic manganese alloyed steel frame. Slightly heavier than reynolds tubing too.

Do you think it would be worth a restoration or would it be like pimping a nissan micra?

Ahh, a crafty edit. Well, the good thing is I have access to most of the tools in the building, but yes I think maybe a courteous call to services might be in order, although they are not the most helpful bunch at the best of times.

Oh no! I should have disguised the pics better! :)

I was reading around and the HLE frames are a basic manganese alloyed steel frame. Slightly heavier than reynolds tubing too.

Do you think it would be worth a restoration or would it be like pimping a nissan micra?

Ahh, a crafty edit. Well, the good thing is I have access to most of the tools in the building, but yes I think maybe a courteous call to services might be in order, although they are not the most helpful bunch at the best of times.

I ride something similar. (Reynold's 501 I think), weightwise it's fine. Not super light, but I cycle recreationally and I'm not too bothered about the latest developments in carbon frames.

You could turn it into a great looking bike. Wont ever compete in a race, but would look cool.

Oh God no I wouldn't be looking for racing on it, I would get a nice felt track bike for that :)

This would simply be for cruising around town, looking cool in my rolled up jeans on my fixie, with my spiderman buff on my head :D

Oh God no I wouldn't be looking for racing on it, I would get a nice felt track bike for that :)

This would simply be for cruising around town, looking cool in my rolled up jeans on my fixie, with my spiderman buff on my head :D

Snap, steel is your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Thats very like my first proper bike,when I was 12. Go for it I say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement