Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parked Cars

Options
  • 07-07-2008 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭

What is the rule about indicating when overtaking parked cars? If I have to cross the white line I should indicate? If I don't have to cross the white line there's no need to indicate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

you should, just like you should when over taking a cyclist (even u stay within your lane) if for no other reason but to let those behind you know:

A) There's an obstruction in front
    B) your intentions.

not sure if its a ROTR but if you cross a white line you MUST indicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The ROTR generally covers ideal situations, so it wont say "you must indicate before crossing a continuous white line", as it assumes that you will never do so unless turning right. But generally i would indicate my intentions overtaking an obstackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Also when overtaking a parked car, remember to give a little more than a door's width clearance in case someone decides to get outta the car...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If it's a long clear road with good visibility and you can gradually move out early then it is my understanding that there is no need to indicate.

Similarly if you're driving thru a resisdential area and there's cars all over the place then I don't think you have to.

However if the upcoming obstruction is blocking a significant part of your lane then you do have to indicate.

More grey than black or white, but that's what I've been told!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hanley wrote: »
    If it's a long clear road with good visibility and you can gradually move out early then it is my understanding that there is no need to indicate.

Similarly if you're driving thru a resisdential area and there's cars all over the place then I don't think you have to.

However if the upcoming obstruction is blocking a significant part of your lane then you do have to indicate.

More grey than black or white, but that's what I've been told!

Well said, i was trying to say something similar earlier but the stress of work had me tongue tied:o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The general rule is that you indicate when you want to change your road position.

So if you need to cross any kind of line in the middle of the road, or you need to drive close to the line, indicate *before* you move out. Cancel your indicator as you pass the rear of the obstructing vehicle.

The indicator is a signal of your intention to change road position, not a signal to show people that you're in the centre of the road - so if you enter an estate and have to drive down the centre of the road to avoid multiple cars, don't leave your indicator on - just indicate to signal that you're moving out, then move out, cancel the indicator and keep driving.

The same applies for overtaking moving traffic (e.g. on a country road). You indicate, move out, cancel the indicator, then overtake.

Obviously, where the parked vehicle doesn't require you to change lane/position - e.g. if it's in a hard shoulder or bus lane, then there's no need to indicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

And always remember Mirror, signal,maneuvre.

Be careful of others miscontruing your signals.
    eg coming up to a junction, if someone sees you indicating to overtake a cyclist, but didnt spot the cyclist they might think you are turning right and pull in front of you (oncoming) or try to undertake.

Or alternatively if you are actually turning right, but overtake a cyclist at the same time, people behind might assume you are just overtaking and not realise till too late you were actualy slowing down to turn.

So essentially, if you are signalling, try to do in plenty of time, and at the correct point, position your car so it is clear what you are doing, allow others good visibility of cyclists/pedestrians etc and dont give confusing signals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Thanks guys.

Advertisement