Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Billy Connolly

• 07-07-2008 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Just to point out, this is in relation to the gig at the NCH - it was not promoted by 'them'.

Went to see him over the weekend. Wouldn't count myself a huge fan, and never saw a heck of a lot of his material to be honest. (odd you might think, but I never liked him growing up).
    He started off with a painfully unfunny sketch about stroke victims, and just milked it... the audience lapped it up, and I felt he could probably say anything and the loyal fanboy audience would cheer and clap regardless... something I feel has happened to Tommy Tiernan now.
    Thankfully, he did manage to win me back over, with some good stories, but it wasn't brilliant by any means.
    Many jokes and gags I'd heard before, or got through emails to be honest.
    Got a few good laughs, but left very disappointed to be honest. I was expecting to be in stitches by what everyone seems to think is one of the finest standups of our generation... he definately didn't seem that, and for €50 a ticket, I would have got better value elsewhere. At least he went on non-stop for 2hrs 10mins. Fair play for that!

Anyone else (who wasn't a big fan beforehand) see him and leave the same??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Havent seen him yet - going on Tuesday night - however one thing I have noticed over the years, that he is starting to rehash his jokes - point in case I have most of his DVDs - however on atleast 2 of them he tells the same kind of joke - even though the DVDS were recorded some years apart

Then again this will be the first time I have seen him live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    Havent seen him yet - going on Tuesday night - however one thing I have noticed over the years, that he is starting to rehash his jokes - point in case I have most of his DVDs - however on atleast 2 of them he tells the same kind of joke - even though the DVDS were recorded some years apart

Then again this will be the first time I have seen him live

yeah, seemed that way alright.

BTW, be sure you get there before 8pm.
    He comes on stage just past, and stays on for over 2hrs.
    There's no support.
    Think some people thought it was 'doors 8pm' but that's really when the show should begin. (many latercomers were heckled by him!).

Enjoy it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Nathanual

Went to see him last night and have to say one of the best stand up gigs I've been too in some time. But if I had one criticisim it would be that the funniest jokes of the night were jokes that other people had told him.

It was one of my goals to see him live, not on a dvd live, but while sitting in the audience. Goal complete. I have to say that the NCH was a very comfortable place to watch a stand up show...

Stephen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

went to see him last night, I loved the show.

I thought it was very funny. Have never seen him live before and hadnt watched any of his material in a good while.

The comments on the church cracked me up, the athiesm test, belfast etc.

I think for a man of 65 he performed brilliantly. I had read his autobiography about 3 years ago and he did not have the easiest life growing up.

Well done Billy.:)

well I goofed it wasnt last night I was meant to see him, its actually tonight and I cant fecking wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Went Sunday night, sure he's not 25 Anymore but i nearly p!ssed myself on a number of occasions. He hardly took a breath in 2 hours....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

OP you may have heard alot of his jokes before but that because they have been milked to death by other comedians.There is a reason he is a legend.Just because you weren't blown awaythat night, doesnt mean you wont be on another as many people have been.

Well I went last night and while I couldnt stop grinning at seeing him live for the first time, I do have to admit, that he is recycling his jokes.

I would say just under 50% of what he was talking about I had heard from him before on his DVDs.

That said, wild horses couldnt have prevented me from going :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Can't say I ever found him funny. I have 2 of his DVD's here and I don't think he brought a chuckle out of me once. I don't find him entertaining one bit. There are 100's of comedians way funnier than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I have always found him funny but I have never seen him live.

Is it possible that over-exposure via TV/DVD is killing comedians? There is only so much material anybody can come up with and once you've seen it on DVD the live show has lost it's the freshness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    I would say just under 50% of what he was talking about I had heard from him before on his DVDs.

dude thats coz he is still on the same tour, its the "too old to dfie young world tour" the world is a big place nadespecially when he plays so many gigs in the same ocuntry! his too old to die young dvd was from the US leg of the tour, and the "was it something i said" dvd was from the aussie leg, and the gig you saw was from the european leg, so of course he will be doing the same stuff, the fact that he is changing it and you got over 50% of stuff you havent heard before is still pretty damn impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Hagar wrote: »
    I have always found him funny but I have never seen him live.

Is it possible that over-exposure via TV/DVD is killing comedians? There is only so much material anybody can come up with and once you've seen it on DVD the live show has lost it's the freshness.

Oh Definitely, they have lost the sense of suprise and shock they once had.

Advertisement