Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony HT-DDW790 or HT-DDW890. Surround sound on a budget - which would you recommend?

• 07-07-2008 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have done quite a bit of research into this and using Boards.ie I've narrowed this down to two possible choices. I'm looking for Surround Sound on a budget of about €300 and want to get good value for money (what with the economy going belly up and all).

The systems I've shortlisted are:
    - Sony HT-DDW790
    - Sony HT-DDW890

All I can see myself hooking up to it are:
    - XBox 360 (Digital Optical cable)
    - DVD Recorder and (Digital Coax cable)
    - TV (Stereo-phono cable)

I live in a relatively new house - which means small-ish living room, and thin-ish walls. This means that I would like decent performance even when the volume is low (to avoid run-ins with the neighbours, or my wife :D)

Has anyone here had experience with either system and would like to recommend one above the other, or do you have bad feedback that could warn me off getting either.

I have been leaning towards the DDW890, but if there's not that much difference in performance I wouldn't mind saving the €100 and getting the 790.
    Also - the ddw890 is a 6.1 surround sound system. Does the extra rear speaker make that much of a difference?

If you know of a better system for under €300, please let me know.

Also are there any Bricks and Mortar shops in Dublin Area that would stock these - I would almost prefer it to risking pixmania (as I have heard that you get a European plug, and possibly poor customer service from them).

Thanks all for any advice - as I don't want to be stuck with a lemon, if I can avoid it.

Recommended System for approx €300 2 votes

Sony HT-DDW790
    0% 0 votes
    Sony HT-DDW890
    0% 0 votes
    Other (please specify)
    100% 2 votes
    I don't have an opinion, but want to press a button too.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Just a quick bump to see if anyone has an opinion they'd like to share, then I'll let the thread die a natural death.

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Have the 890 on my office PC/Xbox/TV and love it.

:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

The Pixmania price for the 890 setup is cracking and I can't think of anything to recommend in comparison in that sort of budget, it's 6.1 and has 2 HDMI in, useful for future use.

I'm sure there's one or two threads on these systems here on the forum - do a search and unearth what I think were very good vibes.

Make your choice between buying online or locally and go for it.

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Today's ibood might be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I have the SONY HT-DDW790. It's great. I stick my ipod in as well and people who come over always say "jasus, good sound of that isnt there". However, I never tried the other one so it's hard to compare the two... so I just pressed the "I don't have an opinion, but want to press a button too" button.

edit - if I had the money I'd go for the newer one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Fingleberries, love that name! Meant to reply earlier but I don't know the systems. One small point you mention smallish rooms- have you thought of the speaker positioning and can you accomodate the extras speaker? Are you going to paying for a speaker you won't use or take advantage of?

That ibood offer is rather good, has the inputs you need plus USB, but depends on your style. Don't underestimate how your going to locate and fit speakers on stands/shelves etc. Check the size of the DVD unit as it may not fit on your shelf. Have bought 2 samsung units for familiy and they have been very happy with them.

Enjoy,
    majj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Oldish thread i know but im in the same situation as the OP.
    Did you buy the 790?i see that pixmania have the 890 listed as discontinued now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

I bought and sold a 790 last year. Not a bad system, but not too great either. Not a lot of oomph, although that's to be expected.

Just spotted this on adverts logitech 5500. Its a very nice system and a good number of people here have got one (all recommend it). It might be worth your while keeping an eye out for another baragin second hand one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Strangely enough i order a 5500 on the 11th and received it today so happy days,:D

Advertisement