Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sizzling PSU..WTF?!11!

Options
  • 07-07-2008 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Ok, in an ongoing attempt to troubleshoot a major problem I'm having with freezing/looping sound, I've made a curious discovery. It seems that my PSU makes a faint buzzing or sizzling sound, and I only noticed this when the computer was off (as no loud fans were spinning).

My question is this -

If my PSU makes a tiny sizzling sound, is that definitely a sign that it's responsible for games (and occasionally windows) freezing up with looping sound?

If not, should I just replace it anyway? Do healthy PSU's ever buzz like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Doesnt sound good at all.

Get it replaced if it is under warrenty and if it isn't
    the cost of a new one would be much cheaper than
    your current supply frying your motherboard or other
    connected components.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its v hard diagnose psu problems, but since you've heard the sizzle I'd replace it quick before it brings something else with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fusion158

What spec of a computer do you have and what PSU is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Thanks for the replies so far.

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz
    4GB Corsair PC6400 RAM
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
    Super Flower Aurora 600w PSU
    XFX nVidia 680i LT mobo
    XFX nVidia 8800GT 512MB video card
    Antec Nine Hundred Case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thanks for the replies so far.

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz
    4GB Corsair PC6400 RAM
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
    Super Flower Aurora 600w PSU
    XFX nVidia 680i LT mobo
    XFX nVidia 8800GT 512MB video card
    Antec Nine Hundred Case

Nice rig m8, Sorry, but you skimped on the psu :(
    A good reputable 500W would be enough for that rig. I regularly see this, the psu is the most imporant component IMO. Choose wisely and it will last for several builds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Fusion158

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nice rig m8, Sorry, but you skimped on the psu :(
    A good reputable 500W would be enough for that rig. I regularly see this, the psu is the most imporant component IMO. Choose wisely and it will last for several builds.

Agreed. Get a nice Corsair 650 PSU, I have it and they are great. Really quiet and plenty of power. As PogMoThoin said, they are the most important part of any computer, when a cheap one dies they can take most of your components with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

agreed, the corsair psu's are top notch. If i were you i'd turn your pc off and remove the psu now. Just to be on the safe side till the new one arrives.

Good advice, cheers! I'm now almost 100% certain that my crashes are caused by this cheap PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it sizzling, or just whining? If it's actually 'sizzling' then you shouldn't have to ask if it has to go!

I don't know whether to describe it as a sizzling or a buzzing sound, but it's extremely faint - you'd have to almost put your ear right up to it to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The sound could just be the metal parts cooling and contracting, not necessarily anything to worry about. Even if the sound is not a direct problem your psu could still be causing the pc to crash. Do you have a mate you can borrow a psu from to test it out?

Would you guys recommend this one?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=7658&agid=240

Seems to be around the same price (for the wattage) as the one I have now, which is this:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=10419&agid=240

sink wrote: »
    The sound could just be the metal parts cooling and contracting, not necessarily anything to worry about. Even if the sound is not a direct problem your psu could still be causing the pc to crash. Do you have a mate you can borrow a psu from to test it out?

Ah at this stage I'm pretty sure it's the kind of buzzing that shouldn't be there.

Nah I don't know anyone who has a power supply up to the task of troubleshooting my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Would you guys recommend this one?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=7658&agid=240

Seems to be around the same price (for the wattage) as the one I have now, which is this:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=10419&agid=240

I would definitely recommend the corsair one above the Super-flower. I always go with a well know brand. I've never heard of Super-flower and google search didn't turn up much. The Corsair has plenty of good reviews to it's name from well know legit sites so I would go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

Ok, in an ongoing attempt to troubleshoot a major problem I'm having with freezing/looping sound, I've made a curious discovery. It seems that my PSU makes a faint buzzing or sizzling sound, and I only noticed this when the computer was off (as no loud fans were spinning).

My question is this -

If my PSU makes a tiny sizzling sound, is that definitely a sign that it's responsible for games (and occasionally windows) freezing up with looping sound?

If not, should I just replace it anyway? Do healthy PSU's ever buzz like that?

its worth checking the PSU fan/s are working and the griddle is free of dust. if its not getting sufficient cooling it can heat and humm like that.
    check that that the fans in your system are functioning and griddles free of dust. Check your system fans are correctly orientated so all your heat is not being exhausted through your PSU due to ineffective airflow.
    if u do find a lot of dust blockages etc also remove your CPU fan and hoover out the heatsink.

Ok I'm going to get a replacement. Does this 'Hiper' brand look ok?

http://www.hipergroup.com/products.php?lv=4&cate=1&type=7&pid=19&action=Specification0&h=862

Advertisement