Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poor petrol consumption - time to change

Options
  • 07-07-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Ok, so my 12 year old mini jeep is very thirsty. 1.1. Tank holds 25 litres at an approx. cost of 40 euro. For this I get about 250km. Mostly town driving. Having said that it's very reliable and comfortable but it's hitting me in the pocket, especially now that prices have gone up. It's time for a change (unless there's any way or reducing petrol consumption!). I like the driving position of the jeep and don't really want to go back to a car but I need something that's going to be economical. It doesn't have to be a big size or have a large engine or be new. Something that my elderly mother can get into with ease so no low seats. Budget up to 12k, petrol or diesel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Pajero Junior is it?! Could never understand the appeal of these but thats for another day.

It's most definitely a buyers market at the moment so your 12k will stretch far but I wouldn't be too confident of getting much value for your baby jeep.

Do you want something sporty? Most economical vehicle available? Is badge important?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I can't imagine you'll find something massively more economical, particularly if your after another "Jeep".

Most Jeeps, while diesel, will struggle to do 35mpg and diesel is dearer than petrol now, plus the Road tax is gonna be significantly more expensive each year.

If its a Jeep you need - I would stick with what you have.

If not then maybe look at a small diesel car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Yep, it's a Pajero Junior. Have to say it's the best little car I've ever had - maintenance free! In the 8 years I've had it I've only had to replace the battery once and get new front tyres twice! Mechanically sound!

I'd like it to look a tad different. While the Yaris would suit perfectly, I don't want to blend into greyness! Badge doesn't matter. I was hoping to get a trade in on the jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Ok, so my 12 year old mini jeep is very thirsty. 1.1. Tank holds 25 litres at an approx. cost of 40 euro. For this I get about 250km. Mostly town driving. Having said that it's very reliable and comfortable but it's hitting me in the pocket, especially now that prices have gone up. It's time for a change (unless there's any way or reducing petrol consumption!). I like the driving position of the jeep and don't really want to go back to a car but I need something that's going to be economical. It doesn't have to be a big size or have a large engine or be new. Something that my elderly mother can get into with ease so no low seats. Budget up to 12k, petrol or diesel.

You need to work out what MPG (or l/100km) you are currently getting, to me it looks like about 25mpg... then look at new vehicles in the class you like and see what sort of mpg they get!

I would guess in a small petrol jeep around town you'd be lucky to see 35mpg, so your petrol bill might go from €40 -> €30 per week, is it really worth the cost of up-grading for that? €500/year saving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Put the 12k in your back pocket and run.

If the car is maintenance free then why spend 12k up grading for the sake of saving 500e a year on fuel alone.

Get the injectors cleaned, change the fuel filter, make sure that the air filter is clean and you should see better returns.

I notice alot of people complaining about fuel returns latel especially since the price of fuel has gone up.

What about the Suzski Jimmy Jeep 1.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

kluivert wrote: »

If the car is maintenance free then why spend 12k up grading for the sake of saving 500e a year on fuel alone.

+1

It would take you 24 years to spend the 12k on fuel. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks for the advice guys! Was kind of thinking along those lines but you know what it's like when you're driving the same car for 8 years - you get itchy feet! :o I'll book her in for a good service and hopefully might get a better return for my money when she's done!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What about the Suzski Jimmy Jeep 1.3.

From experience, on short town runs with a cold engine this won't do any better than ~9 l/100 km either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

People keep forgetting the Cost of Change, it can be massive esp if the vehicle you want to see the back of is a hard luck story on wheels or, as of now, drinks fuel. Drive with a light foot, empty the boot, pump up the tyres, remove the mud from under the arches, rerquest payment from any passangers (okay maybe not that).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That's a very good point. If the whole point is to cut costs, then it'll take 24 years to get back paying out the money to buy something newer. I don't really understand this whole fuss about reg plate snobbery - most old cars do need that bit more TLC but cars are reliable things generally if they get the care they deserve. Besides there's less to go wrong on older machines - the killer is rust.

Plus it's more environmentally keeping cars for as long as you can too;)!

Advertisement